Thread: 2016 Postseason Thread

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I don't really have an issue hitting Montero for Ross. Just isn't a big deal to me. But, use Schwarber at some point.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,382 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It seems to only be a problem throwing to 1st. I would think he'd be fine throwing home. Heck, he could just throw a normal pitch.

If he broke as soon as he gets set, then he would either have to step off or make a pitch. and making a pitch just to get it home is dangerous with a guy holding a bat at home.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I don't really have an issue hitting Montero for Ross. Just isn't a big deal to me. But, use Schwarber at some point.
    I guess my point is that for a supposed deep-analysis guy, Maddon didn't follow the deep analysis on that decision.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,830 Posts
    Eh, the Indians would have the advantage with Kluber on the mound for Game 7.
    True, however, the Cubs confidence would be real high if they can force a Game 7. Confidence goes a long way in a championship series.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    True, however, the Cubs confidence would be real high if they can force a Game 7. Confidence goes a long way in a championship series.
    When it all boils down to one game, a bad hop or a gust of wind can change everything. You really want to avoid that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I would still rather have the pitching advantage than more confidence.

I'm just saying, I don't think it means doom for Cleveland if it goes 7.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,542 Posts
    I would still rather have the pitching advantage than more confidence.
    in that situation, clutchness, grit, maturity and veteran leadership are the keys.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,765 Posts
    Cleveland gets to use Kluber one more time, which in itself is a bigger advantage than the Cubs.
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    When it all boils down to one game, a bad hop or a gust of wind can change everything. You really want to avoid that.
    Right... They might even get an Infield Fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Cleveland gets to use Kluber one more time, which in itself is a bigger advantage than the Cubs.
    Anyone named Kluber must have great grit.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Anyone named Kluber must have great grit.
    His name sounds like it would have been great for the Mukaki rebuild.
    Forever Fredi

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (11-01-2016), Prikichi (11-01-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Right... They might even get an Infield Fly.
    One bad call is all it takes.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,382 Posts
    One bad call is all it takes.
    yup, only takes one fan interfering with a catch..

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Kluber isn't a big upgrade over Hendricks though. But, still, the Indians would be expected to win.

I guess fangraphs reads my material http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/terry...nning-dilemma/
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,830 Posts
    Exactly

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    yup, only takes one fan interfering with a catch..
    ...or any number of related scenarios. Fans, umpires, managers... and even players affect the outcomes of games!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,830 Posts
    Plus, not a 100% certain Kluber will have a solid outing again, if we get to Game 7.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    The guy doing the FG chat summed up perfectly why I think the Braves managed by Cox did so poorly in the playoffs:

schwoch
    1:01 Curious to know what Maddon does strategically that bothers you most. I'm a 56-year-old lifelong Cubs fan so I've seen some really bad managers; often when I disagree with Maddon strategically I find out later there was some factor I didn't know (like Lester basically taking himself out the other night).
    august ***erstrom
    1:02 I don't watch the Cubs every day, so it's entirely possible I'm overreacting, but in the past, I get the sense that he's sometimes a bit passive when I'd prefer him to be more aggressive. That being said, a lot of that likely has to do with keeping players happy, and he has a reputation as being maybe the best player's-manager in the game, so maybe this balances out!
    1:03 At this stage in the game, though, I think the sliders might have to shift more towards tacticianal aggression and less towards the keeping-players-content argument, which seems better suited for the 162-game grind than the seven-game win-or-go-home series
    I also don't know jack **** about managing, so I'm probably way off base.

His latest passive move that bothered me was not getting Schwarber an AB in the 4th inning on Sunday. He should have hit for Heyward, Baez or Ross. Francona manages aggresively in the postseason, while Maddon is still trying to keep guys happy. I think it is a big reason the Indians are doing so well against a far superior team.

Maddon did finally use Chapman aggressively in game 5 though, and it probably won them the game.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The guy doing the FG chat summed up perfectly why I think the Braves managed by Cox did so poorly in the playoffs:

schwoch
    1:01 Curious to know what Maddon does strategically that bothers you most. I'm a 56-year-old lifelong Cubs fan so I've seen some really bad managers; often when I disagree with Maddon strategically I find out later there was some factor I didn't know (like Lester basically taking himself out the other night).
    august ***erstrom
    1:02 I don't watch the Cubs every day, so it's entirely possible I'm overreacting, but in the past, I get the sense that he's sometimes a bit passive when I'd prefer him to be more aggressive. That being said, a lot of that likely has to do with keeping players happy, and he has a reputation as being maybe the best player's-manager in the game, so maybe this balances out!
    1:03 At this stage in the game, though, I think the sliders might have to shift more towards tacticianal aggression and less towards the keeping-players-content argument, which seems better suited for the 162-game grind than the seven-game win-or-go-home series
    I also don't know jack **** about managing, so I'm probably way off base.

His latest passive move that bothered me was not getting Schwarber an AB in the 4th inning on Sunday. He should have hit for Heyward, Baez or Ross. Francona manages aggresively in the postseason, while Maddon is still trying to keep guys happy. I think it is a big reason the Indians are doing so well against a far superior team.

Maddon did finally use Chapman aggressively in game 5 though, and it probably won them the game.
    I don't watch Maddon that much, but I've always seen him as oddly aggressive at points and burning off his bench early in the game. But again, I haven't watched him that closely. One thing he does that bugs me a bit is that he moves guys around willy-nilly throughout the game, often for no apparent reason. He does have a solid squad that can do that somewhat seamlessly, but sometimes it looks like he's just trying to screw around for the sake of screwing around. For my part, I think all managers are pretty much equal except for the really bad ones. To me, there's about a micron difference between those in the upper quartile. It usually boils down to management of the pitching staff and clubhouse atmosphere.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    I don't watch Maddon that much, but I've always seen him as oddly aggressive at points and burning off his bench early in the game. But again, I haven't watched him that closely. One thing he does that bugs me a bit is that he moves guys around willy-nilly throughout the game, often for no apparent reason. He does have a solid squad that can do that somewhat seamlessly, but sometimes it looks like he's just trying to screw around for the sake of screwing around. For my part, I think all managers are pretty much equal except for the really bad ones. To me, there's about a micron difference between those in the upper quartile. It usually boils down to management of the pitching staff and clubhouse atmosphere.
    With the exception of lineup construction, I generally agree. Batting someone like Adonis Garcia 2nd when guys with far superior on base skills like Jace and Swanson are on the roster is absolutely inexcusible to me, no matter how small of a difference it makes. It is a quantifiable advantage the manager is directly responsible for, and all it costs is a swipe of his pen to make it happen.

However, Francona's aggressive use of his 2 elite BP arms in the highest leverage situations (regardless of the inning) is, in my opinion, the biggest reason the Indians are in the position to win the WS with 1 more victory. Fredi and Buck have shown how NOT to utilize a BP during the postseason, while Francona has pretty much laid out the perfect blueprint for postseason BP usage. We have gotten to watch another deep postseason run by the Braves had Fredi used his BP (namely Kimbrel) correctly in the postseason. Same thing goes with the Orioles and Britton sitting in the BP unused.