Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
I'd stay away, he's been abysmal at the plate this year.
If they would pay $5M per year on his deal AND his bonus, then I think the Braves should do it. But that's $50M so I doubt they consider it yet without trying to rehabilitate him next year. Their team is built in such a way as they can carry a big mistake for a while if they have to.

IDK, maybe take Heyward, Montero, Baez and Jimenez (Cubs pay Jason's bonus) for Inciarte, Markakis, Jenkins, Ellis and Whalen. I would think the Cubs wouldn't do that because they don't have a clear need for the payroll space. But from a Braves POV I wouldn't do it for less. The Cubs move Heyward's long term money and Montero's short term (although offset somewhat by Markakis) they get an elite defensive CF, an OK RF that they can pair with Soler, and three B-C level pitching prospects. The Braves take a ton of long term monetary risk in Heyward's contract, get a one year catcher in Montero, get the 3B of the near future and a top prospect.

In effect Inciarte = Baez, Montero roughly equals Markakis with Markakis being the better player but owed $8M more total dollars, Heyward's cost and risk are offset by the value of Jimenez and are compensated by three pitching prospects where they really are looking for one to stick. I see it as a clear win for the Braves short term, a potential terrible trade long term if Heyward actually craters and doesn't return, and a big win if Heyward ever finds his bat, his power and meets his potential. Risky but I would do it.

2017:

2B Albies
SS Swanson
1B Freeman
LF Kemp
RF Heyward
3B Baez
C Montero/Flowers
P Teheran
CF Mallex