Page 39 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I'm in an argument on another message board who thinks that anyone could have played Max. I had to explain to the guy being quite isn't always easy for an actor. Hardy has shown more than once how great he can be acting with an inhibitor. In Mad Max it was lack of dialogue (for a reason I know) and in TDKR it was a mask that covered his face. His ability to overcome things like that is awesome and really makes me excited for him. Hopefully he won't get typecast though. His last 3 notable roles have been Mad Max, Bane, and the dude in the Warrior. All actionstar friendly movie. While having a modern action star with acting chops would be great, I hope he's not limited because of it.
    What about Lawless? The Drop?
    Last edited by Carp; 05-20-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    Hardy was pretty good in Lawless.
    Agreed.

Looking forward to seeing Mad Max at some point.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    What about Lawless? The Drop?

His performance in Lawless was pretty good. Hardy was on the last season of Peaky Blinders. He had a small role in that series but nailed it.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'm gonna jump on the Mad Max bandwagon right quick -- holy ****, most movies barely hold my attention anymore but I was rapt the entire time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-23-2015), The Chosen One (05-21-2015)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Very good read about George Lucas and his ILM company. Any modern movie fan would enjoy this

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/inside-ilm/

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    This looks amazing.

If they did a limited release of this in black and white, I'd gladly pay to watch this movie in theaters a few more times (4th time last night, 5th tomorrow).

Miller also said the b&w version would have a stripped down audio track which would get rid of the soundtrack and simplify it down to just the original score. It would make this movie look and feel like it was made 50 years ago. The more and more I watch that trailer the more I'm convinced it's a completely different experience but still completely awesome. Add in the fact this movie thrives on practical effects and not Michael Bay CGI, and it makes it look even more like a classic.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    This looks amazing.

If they did a limited release of this in black and white, I'd gladly pay to watch this movie in theaters a few more times (4th time last night, 5th tomorrow).

Miller also said the b&w version would have a stripped down audio track which would get rid of the soundtrack and simplify it down to just the original score. It would make this movie look and feel like it was made 50 years ago. The more and more I watch that trailer the more I'm convinced it's a completely different experience but still completely awesome. Add in the fact this movie thrives on practical effects and not Michael Bay CGI, and it makes it look even more like a classic.
    Read it was gonna be on the bluray version. Would be cool if they did a release in theaters after the main run.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Jaws is coming back to the theatres on 6/21 and 6/24 (Sunday and wednesday) in honor of its 40th anniversary. It's the original version.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm gonna jump on the Mad Max bandwagon right quick -- holy ****, most movies barely hold my attention anymore but I was rapt the entire time.
    You may not be watching the right films?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Joining the chorus praising Fury Road. I don't think it's quite as well crafted in terms of supporting characters and plot as The Road Warrior (second film), but it is very good. I've read that Miller had Fury Road ready to go a long time ago, but then Mel Gibson melted down and Miller couldn't get it made because studios thought the franchise was tied to Gibson.

Tom Hardy is the next big thing. He's already done a ton of great work, much of which is mentioned in earlier posts. If anyone here hasn't seen Locke, I strongly recommend it. It's a very interesting movie with literally no action and it's all Tom Hardy beginning to end.

Here's a story on Hardy from The New York Times from early May: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/mo...-max.html?_r=0

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-29-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Just saw the movie. I had never heard of Mad max before but figured I'd see it anyway. I was highly entertained the whole time. But I didn't understand a lot of what was happening I guess bc I didn't know the back story. It was also pretty darn weird. Good film though. I love Hardy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Just saw the movie. I had never heard of Mad max before but figured I'd see it anyway. I was highly entertained the whole time. But I didn't understand a lot of what was happening I guess bc I didn't know the back story. It was also pretty darn weird. Good film though. I love Hardy
    What's great is you don't need to know any backstory. THere's a long backstory if you would of Mad Max stories all being told as a legend. This one likely being told by Furiosa though Max was the only Narrator unlike the other films. That may have been him giving some backstory to Furiosa at some point and her adding it. Which is why a change in actors for Mad Max is hardly a risky move and it's more likely that Mad Max is a version of The Man with No Name. Someone who's unified by the recorder of the story from the legends finding a similar archetype and running with it.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Just caught Taken 3 this morning on Blu Ray from Netflix. Really got into it, and was thinking that it was definitely a step up from 2. Then the ending seemed kind of Hollywood action cliché.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Saw Love & Mercy last weekend and I give it one of those giant thumbs up with a couple of qualifications. If you're younger than age 40, this is probably going to seem like a biography of John Phillips Sousa would have for me at that age because it's probably going to seem like a relic from a bygone age. But the acting is phenomenal. Dano and Cusack are superb in the dual role of Brian Wilson and Elizabeth Banks really shines as Melinda Ledbetter. Cusack's portion suffers a bit only because Dano immersed himself so fully in the Brian Wilson "look" of the mid-1960s that it's difficult to shake that as the movie flips back and forth.

But if you want to witness the work of a genius of sorts and watch how music was assembled in that era, it's a tremendous movie at a lot of levels. The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" album and the subsequent work on the buried "Smile" (only fully released in 2004--although some of the songs found their way onto other albums) were truly ground-breaking works that steered American pop and rock in totally new directions. The tension within the group over the change in direction is also documented fairly well in the movie and it shows how bands that may start out as a family business (3 brothers, a cousin, and a couple of friends in the Beach Boys' case) turns into something completely different.

Bill Pohlad (son of the late Carl Pohlad who owned the Minnesota Twins) directs and does a good job. Things get a bit artsy at points and the shifting of the timeline between narratives is a bit distracting at several junctures. It can't truly be seamless because he's telling two stories about one guy, but some of the jumps seem to come at odd times.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I had never heard of Mad max before
    How is that possible?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (06-13-2015), Knucksie (06-14-2015)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Just caught Taken 3 this morning on Blu Ray from Netflix. Really got into it, and was thinking that it was definitely a step up from 2. Then the ending seemed kind of Hollywood action cliché.
    Taken 3 is just terrible

Never getting that 90 minutes back.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Taken 3 is just terrible

Never getting that 90 minutes back.
    Dare I say that "The Boy Next Door" was next in my Netflix queue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Jurassic World is such a good summer blockbuster.

Side note, I have a thing for Katie McGrath, it didn't help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Legend looks pretty bad ass. Trailer looks awesome. But even more so than that. The cast is pretty awesome.

Tom Hardy is of course awesome, can't wait to see how he handles two roles.

Taron Egerton who was really good in Kingsmen

Christopher Eccleston the 9th Doctor is in it.

And MERLIN!!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Just saw Jurassic World. Very good, though with some pretty big plot holes and sort of ridiculous scenes. Nonetheless, it was a good for a summer blockbuster.