Page 44 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Thread

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The Revenant was really great and it and DiCaprio will be nominated in their respective categories. I have seen Tom Hardy on some lists as a possible nominee for supporting actor and that wouldn't get an argument from me. Soundtrack and cinematography nominations are probably also in the offing. Innaritu is technically about as close to perfect as one can get in assembling a movie.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Add The Martian to the list of contenders. Ridley Scott took a fairly formulaic castaway type movie and put a fresh spin on it.

Looking at the Golden Globe nominations, I don't see how The Martian and The Big Short are comedies. They have comedic parts, but they're dramas.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-11-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Took in The Revenant last night. Fantastic camera work.... And great acting.... Truly a great movie. Glad we saw it.

Having very young children, I was upset at a fellow movie goers decision to allow their 5 and 7 (I think) year old girls to take it in as well. Is there no one to keep that from happening at the theater?
    Ivermectin Man

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-11-2016), bravesnumberone (01-10-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Took in The Revenant last night. Fantastic camera work.... And great acting.... Truly a great movie. Glad we saw it.

Having very young children, I was upset at a fellow movie goers decision to allow their 5 and 7 (I think) year old girls to take it in as well. Is there no one to keep that from happening at the theater?
    It was rated [R] which means a parent can accompany a kid.

If it was NC-17 it would mean no child under 17 allowed. But these days movie theaters rarely show NC-17 movies because it's like a death sentence. No theater will make money off it.

I suggest you go on youtube and watch the documentary "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" to see why movies have become so commercialized and cookie cutter.

As for your initial concern I haven't seen it yet, but from the trailers I don't know if if I'd say a child shouldn't watch it vs. can't watch it.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Well-deserved Golden Globe wins for The Revenant, Innaritu and Leo.

Glad to see Denzel get honored tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    It was rated [R] which means a parent can accompany a kid.

If it was NC-17 it would mean no child under 17 allowed. But these days movie theaters rarely show NC-17 movies because it's like a death sentence. No theater will make money off it.

I suggest you go on youtube and watch the documentary "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" to see why movies have become so commercialized and cookie cutter.

As for your initial concern I haven't seen it yet, but from the trailers I don't know if if I'd say a child shouldn't watch it vs. can't watch it.
    No problem it was an odd experience all around. Had one guy stand up during the ads before the previews and shout at some folks behind him about talking during the movie. Then folks sit in front of us with two young ones... Just an odd night all around.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

That always bugs me too. No kids at the sold-out Revenant screening I was at the other night, but periodically I'll see a parent bring in a kid (or two or five) that shouldn't be seeing what's on the screen.

The more I think about The Revenant, I can't see how it won't sweep up at the Oscars. Doesn't mean that it will, but it is a truly fine piece of cinematic art. One thing that doesn't get much mention in all the buzz is the fantastic work of the cast beyond Di Caprio and Hardy. Domhnall Gleeson, who has to be one of the hardest-working actors going right now (The Revenant, The Force Awakens, Brooklyn, and Ex Machina in 2015), and Will Poulter (although I couldn't get his character from We're the Millers out of my head) were both really solid. If Di Caprio doesn't win this year, the only way he'll ever win is if he plays Jesus in a movie and performs actual miracles.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 01-11-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I wouldn't be so sure just yet. Academy has a way of varying from the Hollywood Foreign Press. See last year when Birdman got ignored at the Globes and then became the endearing child of the Oscars. There's a contingent of voters out there who don't like The Revenant for whatever reason, so you just never know.

That said, I think it is the best I've seen in what looks like a really strong year. It's a deep bench and there will be a few deserving ones that don't even get nominated.

Agreed on Leo. Fassbender did really great work in Steve Jobs, but Leo ate a damn raw bison liver for pete's sake.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-12-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure just yet. Academy has a way of varying from the Hollywood Foreign Press. See last year when Birdman got ignored at the Globes and then became the endearing child of the Oscars. There's a contingent of voters out there who don't like The Revenant for whatever reason, so you just never know.

That said, I think it is the best I've seen in what looks like a really strong year. It's a deep bench and there will be a few deserving ones that don't even get nominated.

Agreed on Leo. Fassbender did really great work in Steve Jobs, but Leo ate a damn raw bison liver for pete's sake.
    Very true. I just don't detect a buzz for anything else right now. That could change. I agree that there will likely be a segment of Academy members who view The Revenant as being too much of a "man's man" movie (which kind of misses the point of what I think the movie's theme is), but there's not a lot of navel-gazing here although it's one of the finest expressions of raw existentialism I've seen on the screen in years.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    George Miller said he won't do any more Mad Max films.

Part of me is sad because Fury Road was so amazing. Part of me is kind of happy becase the next film can't possibly deliver on the hype.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Oscar nominations are in. No real surprises, but the slate of nominees is whiter than a Klan rally.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Oscar nominations are in. No real surprises, but the slate of nominees is whiter than a Trump rally.
    Fixed

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prikichi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-14-2016), bravesnumberone (01-14-2016), jpx7 (01-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Oscar nominations are in. No real surprises, but the slate of nominees is whiter than a Klan rally.
    When isn't it?

All that matters at this Oscars is will Leo finally get his long awaited Oscar. He's fast become the Marty Scorsese of actors. It took many amazing movies losing to ****tier movies for Marty to finally get best director, and Leo is in a similar boat. How he didn't win for Wolf of Wall Street is confusing to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Chris Rock hosting just got a lot more interesting. The "Oscars So White" thing has seemed a little overblown, but only two nominations between Creed, Straight Outta Compton and Beasts of No Nation isn't a great look.

Weird how Ridley Scott was ignored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    When isn't it?

All that matters at this Oscars is will Leo finally get his long awaited Oscar. He's fast become the Marty Scorsese of actors. It took many amazing movies losing to ****tier movies for Marty to finally get best director, and Leo is in a similar boat. How he didn't win for Wolf of Wall Street is confusing to me.
    It really shouldn't. Look at what McConaughey did that year and the subject matter of that movie. I preferred Leo's, but it wasn't a complete crime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Garmel (01-19-2016)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Finally saw Fury Road, and I really liked it ... but I couldn't say I loved it. Maybe the expectations had just become too elevated at this point, but—while I thought it was an excellent action movie—it never, to me, transcended that status into what I'd call an amazing, genre-defying, one-of-a-kind or once-in-a-lifetime piece of film. (Charlize Theron, as always, was a bad-ass, though.)

I haven't seen most of the Best Picture nominees this year, but at this I hope The Big Short is given serious consideration for Best Picture, and McKay for Best Director; that film was slick, affecting, and effective—excellently balancing a silliness of aspect, which befit the processes it describes, with an emotional gravity that echoes the severe repercussions of those byzantine processes (and here I think Steven Carrell was maybe snubbed—though his turn in Foxcatcher sets a high standard for his "serious" acting). The only factors holding it back might be (for me) a few too-on-the-nose bits of dialogue, and (for the Academy) the fact that those breaking-the-fourth-wall financial exegeses may seem to be too already-tread by Wolf of Wall Street (and I suppose Margot Robbie's appearing in both films doesn't distract from those comparisons).

The next up for me, amongst current films, are The Revenant (love DiCaprio and Iñárritu, so trying to manage my expectations to avoid any disappointment), Brooklyn (big fan of Saoirse Ronan, but feeling like the film will leave a lot to be desired, based on critical chatter), and Carol (likely snub for Best Picture; Todd Haynes is great, cast is great, source-text is strong). Anything else I should be prioritizing?
    Last edited by jpx7; 01-20-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I've been to the movies twice since November (Hunger Game and Star Wars) and both times someone has brought in a baby carrier with a baby in it into the theater. I've never seen this before and couldn't believe it when i did - baby was quite during Hunger Games, but Star Wars baby started crying about 90 mins into the film.

Star Wars baby was part of a family of 5 - mom, dad, 2 young kids and baby. Why didn't one of the parents stay home with the baby? I don't understand people and their lack of awareness sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Finally saw Fury Road, and I really liked it ... but I couldn't say I loved it. Maybe the expectations had just become too elevated at this point, but—while I thought it was an excellent action movie—it never, to me, transcended that status into what I'd call an amazing, genre-defying, one-of-a-kind or once-in-a-lifetime piece of film. (Charlize Theron, as always, was a bad-ass, though.)

I haven't seen most of the Best Picture nominees this year, but at this I hope The Big Short is given serious consideration for Best Picture, and McKay for Best Director; that film was slick, affecting, and effective—excellently balancing a silliness of aspect, which befit the processes it describes, with an emotional gravity that echoes the severe repercussions of those byzantine processes (and here I think Steven Carrell was maybe snubbed—though his turn in Foxcatcher sets a high standard for his "serious" acting). The only factors holding it back might be (for me) a few too-on-the-nose bits of dialogue, and (for the Academy) the fact that those breaking-the-fourth-wall financial exegeses may seem to be too already-tread by Wolf of Wall Street (and I suppose Margot Robbie's appearing in both films doesn't distract from those comparisons).

The next up for me, amongst current films, are The Revenant (love DiCaprio and Iñárritu, so trying to manage my expectations to avoid any disappointment), Brooklyn (big fan of Saoirse Ronan, but feeling like the film will leave a lot to be desired, based on critical chatter), and Carol (likely snub for Best Picture; Todd Haynes is great, cast is great, source-text is strong). Anything else I should be prioritizing?
    Spotlight if you haven't seen it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The Revenant was brutal. It could win best picture because it drains you. Leo likely gets best actor even though it's not his best performance, as a lead or otherwise (personally I think his performance in Django was maybe the finest acting we've seen in a major film in quite some time) Tom Hardy to me was the best actor on the screen. I hope he wins best supporting actor, he's kind of like Christian Bale, puts in exceptional performances whether his vehicle is artsy or blockbuster.