Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1912

Thread: Movie Thread

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Zack Snyder's art is so misunderstood and underappreciated.
    he is a great visual stylist, but he struggles with story and characters. (I mean look at that awful video game cut scene turned movie sucker punch for example...eeesh)

I said it above, but he would be served greatly by working with a writer/director/producer..wtvr who could focus on the story and the actors and let him design all the shots.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    he is a great visual stylist, but he struggles with story and characters. (I mean look at that awful video game cut scene turned movie sucker punch for example...eeesh)

I said it above, but he would be served greatly by working with a writer/director/producer..wtvr who could focus on the story and the actors and let him design all the shots.
    Eh. Sucker Punch was meh.

Dawn of the Dead remake
    Watchmen
    Batman v. Superman

HAve all been so much fun to watch. They all have more replay value than most movies I adore.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

Dawn of the Dead remake
    Watchmen
    Batman v. Superman

HAve all been so much fun to watch. They all have more replay value than most movies I adore.
    300 looks great, but everything is screamed, the story is a little ham fisted. It's good fun, but it's kinda silly in places.

I like the DOTD remake, not as much as the original, but it was an interesting take. It was still plagued with cookie cutter characters tho.

I thought batman vs superman was a real letdown, it was very jumbled and overwrought and it needed editing down. it seems to have been shot 6 months before the script was really ready

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    300 looks great, but everything is screamed, the story is a little ham fisted. It's good fun, but it's kinda silly in places.

I like the DOTD remake, not as much as the original, but it was an interesting take. It was still plagued with cookie cutter characters tho.

I thought batman vs superman was a real letdown, it was very jumbled and overwrought and it needed editing down. it seems to have been shot 6 months before the script was really ready
    Apparently it was more concise just longer but WB execs forced Snyder to cut it down. The director's cut which Snyder's are usually as good as any body's is coming out neXT month
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Apparently it was more concise just longer but WB execs forced Snyder to cut it down. The director's cut which Snyder's are usually as good as any body's is coming out neXT month
    if that movie were any longer it could put coffee to sleep!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    this may sound ...dickish, but it may be cinematic poetry, but I find said poems cloying, juvenile and of low quality. His meandering narrative and silly whispering protagonist tropes are tiring. I really don't care for his movies at all anymore.
    To be fair, with Tree of Life it wasn't an established trope yet, as that's the first film he'd really moved to said style. But otherwise, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree re Tree of Life (and, as mentioned, I've yet to see either Cups or Wonder).

I do have to say that I can see how you/others might find Tree of Life grating, cloying, generally unappealing, but the "juvenile" charge seems way off base and doesn't really make sense to me.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

Dawn of the Dead remake
    Watchmen
    Batman v. Superman

Haven't seen BvS, but honestly I didn't find any of those other films "fun" to watch. Just not a fan of Snyder, I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    To be fair, with Tree of Life it wasn't an established trope yet, as that's the first film he'd really moved to said style. But otherwise, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree re Tree of Life (and, as mentioned, I've yet to see either Cups or Wonder).

I do have to say that I can see how you/others might find Tree of Life grating, cloying, generally unappealing, but the "juvenile" charge seems way off base and doesn't really make sense to me.
    juvenile in that i don't find the thinking very deep or interesting. it's surface level philosophy like a freshman in his first philosophy 101 class trying to show off to the teacher. granted, it's not at the level of the Wachowski brothers..sisters...wtvr face palm cracker jack philosophy. But i just don't buy it.

oh, btw, he was doing that whisper garbage in the thin red line too. (one of the few movies i nearly walked out on, I suffered through it tho)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    juvenile in that i don't find the thinking very deep or interesting. it's surface level philosophy like a freshman in his first philosophy 101 class trying to show off to the teacher. granted, it's not at the level of the Wachowski brothers..sisters...wtvr face palm cracker jack philosophy. But i just don't buy it.

oh, btw, he was doing that whisper garbage in the thin red line too. (one of the few movies i nearly walked out on, I suffered through it tho)
    Again: agree to disagree. But I still find the "juvenile" criticism unfair, even as you've elaborated it. At least with Tree of Life, Malick is wrestling with fundamental human themes that span the history of discourse, and likely predate discourse; it's not "shallow", it's universal. To return to Joyce, that's like criticizing Ulysses under the premise that it's just retelling old stories.

Malick may have grown more heavy-handed with age—for me, Tree of Life sauntered right up to the edge of "too much," without falling over; and as mentioned I think he was at his most brilliant with Days of Heaven (and Badlands)—but I don't think he's guilty of vapid philosophizing.
    Last edited by jpx7; 06-01-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    idk man, Tree of Life felt to me like a guy trying to do the things you mentioned and not having the capability to express it properly.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Thoughts on Mad Max Fury Road, Interstellar, The Parent Trap (Quaid), Star Wars Prequels, The Terminal, The Departed, Any Bergman or Kurosawa, and The Godfather 1 v 2. Michael Bay, JJ Abrams' Lens Flares, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Aaron Sorkin, Fincher, Seagal-Prime, and Batman v. Superman.
    I'll offer my unsolicited ****.

Mad Max FUry Road is a perfect example of a scifi/fantasy blockbuster that also executed amazingly as a film. I'm looking at you George Lucas

Interstellar is 2001 set in modern day. Where 2001 pushed science info of the late 60s, interstellar did it of the early teens. It's fantastically directed, it's a great story, though some acting left a bit to be desired.

The Parent Trap is one I struggle with cause I saw it as a kid and it hit then. Havne't watched it later. I would still bang Lindsey Lohan.

Prequels were total ****. Best star wars film from the Lucas era was far and away Empire. It's the one Lucas had the least amount of input on and it turned out to be the strongest film from a film making standpoint, a screen writing standpoint, etc.

The terminal - Never saw it.

The Departed - Not Scorsese's best film, but certainly a fantastic film. I mean Leo and Nicholson were amazing. Nicholson is certainly one of the best actors ever.

Bergman - Super swedish. I love his images, but honestly I rarely make it through his films in one sitting because they're so ****ingheavy

Kurosawa - Truly brilliant director. I'd call him the Robert Johnson of the film world. Not many people nowadays know who he is, but you've seen some film based on his films at some point. Hell everyone's seen star wars.

Godfather 1 is superior to 2, primarily because of Brando. Marlon BRando is in my opinion the greatest actor ever. THe guy was a true powerhouse with few peers. 2 was great, it's really strong and it's extremely well acted and directed. But when people think about the Godfather, what do they think about? Brando. It's always Brando.

Michael Bay makes Hollywood a lot of money. He makes great CG action scenes. But sucks in all forms of dialogue and so on so forth.

Abrams's Lens Flare is a crutch at time, but it's basically just his thing. I mean everyone has their thing. Few directors are truly chameleonic and distinct.

10 Cloverfield Lane was awesome. It's so much better than CLoverfield. And I love love love Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Aaron Sorkin is too ****ing wordy. It works sometimes (A Few GOod Men, Social Network) where action is irrelevant and words are the motion of the film. But I don't get a boner for him.

David Fincher has some great stuff. He has some other stuff I don't care for as well. But Seven and Fight CLub are certainly 2 of the seminal films of the 90s.

Seagal is no Stallone. I'll just leave that and walk away.

Haven't seen Batman vs. Superman. But I'll be prejudiced and say it has great action sequences and looks great, but sucks. Zack Snyder sucks.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    all of a sudden I want to marry zitothebrave!

#straightwhiteman

#nohomo

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    all of a sudden I want to marry zitothebrave!

#straightwhiteman

#nohomo
    As you can tell by his response to the Parent Trap topic, he's been called Sandusky's Successor on this board.

He has a weird fetish for underage teens. It's been documented on here. It's also a reason we've kind of had to ask him to stay out of the Amateur and International Draft threads. If discussing teenagers that young, it gets annoying to read zeets fantasizing about them that has nothing to do with their baseball skills.

His song:

"SHE'S JUST 16 YEARS OLD...."
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    jeez man, don't make it feel dirty!

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    jeez man, don't make it feel dirty!
    Just looking out for you.

Especially you, since you are the new "kid" on the block here. That's right up his alley.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    This may sound a bit arrogant......... but I have seen more movies , of various genres be it trash,arthouse or wtvr that i reckon i can defend my own position cinematic wise.

That being said, I love trash. I ,must admit that i would rather watch Spacehunter:Adventures in the Forbidden Zone or Beastmaster over many of the Criterion or Janus films movies I've seen.

seriously, what do want to watch AGAIN? Food of the Gods? Empire of the Ants? Evil Dead? Or I am Curious ( Yellow)?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    This may sound a bit arrogant......... but I have seen more movies , of various genres be it trash,arthouse or wtvr that i reckon i can defend my own position cinematic wise.

That being said, I love trash. I ,must admit that i would rather watch Spacehunter:Adventures in the Forbidden Zone or Beastmaster over many of the Criterion or Janus films movies I've seen.

seriously, what do want to watch AGAIN? Food of the Gods? Empire of the Ants? Evil Dead? Or I am Curious ( Yellow)?
    Depends on my mood.

If I'm feeling "artys" or "elitist" I'll definitely watch some Criterions to appreciate film history and storytelling.

But I mean a lot of the movies I love and have high replay value wouldn't necessarily qualify for being cinematic works of art.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I would still bang Lindsey Lohan.
    I hesitate to admit that I would too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I hesitate to admit that I would too.
    Have you seen Canyons? Well not the movie but the clips uploaded to various corners of the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    As you can tell by his response to the Parent Trap topic, he's been called Sandusky's Successor on this board.

He has a weird fetish for underage teens. It's been documented on here. It's also a reason we've kind of had to ask him to stay out of the Amateur and International Draft threads. If discussing teenagers that young, it gets annoying to read zeets fantasizing about them that has nothing to do with their baseball skills.
    I'm sorry I dissed your boi Zack. He's a ****ty director. He's Michael Bay without the lack of shame. Which is what makes Michael Bay tolerable.