Thread: Movie Thread

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Been a few days since his passing, but this is one of my all-time favorite songs from a movie, if not #1.

Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Been a few days since his passing, but this is one of my all-time favorite songs from a movie, if not #1.

AMC is playing that movie in theatres today and only today. I would probably go if it wasn't college football season

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Never understood the love for the Willy Wonka film - never liked it as a kid and like it less as an adult

Saw Jason Bourne today - similar to the other Bourne movies - good action/solid story/enjoyable film

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I'm a stickler for good WW2 movies. Mel Gibsons Hacksaw Ridge is getting some pretty good reviews.

The only movie I want to see before Rogue One.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

Hawk (09-06-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I'm a stickler for good WW2 movies. Mel Gibsons Hacksaw Ridge is getting some pretty good reviews.

The only movie I want to see before Rogue One.
    The Maginificent Seven has a lot of potential. Antoine Fuqua directed (training day, Shooter, Southpaw) starring Denzel, Pratt, D'Ororfrio, and Hawke. With Peter Sarsgaard as the villain? The movie almost can't suck. I also really want to see Hell or High Water but I'll not have a chance in theaters because of where I live. Of course there's Doctor Strange which is probably the movie I'm most psyched about. Love the character and really love CUmberbatch.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The Maginificent Seven has a lot of potential. Antoine Fuqua directed (training day, Shooter, Southpaw) starring Denzel, Pratt, D'Ororfrio, and Hawke. With Peter Sarsgaard as the villain? The movie almost can't suck. I also really want to see Hell or High Water but I'll not have a chance in theaters because of where I live. Of course there's Doctor Strange which is probably the movie I'm most psyched about. Love the character and really love CUmberbatch.
    I thought Fuqua's reimagination of the King Arthur story was pretty decent as well. Looking forward to the Magnificent 7.

Saw Sully the other night. Formulaic, but a very good story with solid acting.

Hell or High Water is very good. I highly recommend it. Great acting all the way around.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Definitely seconded on Hell or Hight Water.

Watched it twice. Many compare it to No Country for Old Men. I'd say it's on par if not better.

Jeff Bridges was born to play the law enforcement/cowboy/authority role. All of those roles should just go to him.
    Forever Fredi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

rico43 (11-05-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Definitely seconded on Hell or Hight Water.

Watched it twice. Many compare it to No Country for Old Men. I'd say it's on par if not better.

Jeff Bridges was born to play the law enforcement/cowboy/authority role. All of those roles should just go to him.
    I liked it a lot more than I did No Country for Old Men. I greatly respect my fellow Minnesota Coen Brothers, but a lot of their stuff gets to be one-and-a-half trick ponies and I felt that way about No Country for Old Men. They always tell the story well, but I didn't think Cormac McCarthy's (an author I greatly respect) story was all that deep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I didn't get through all of Star Wars Force Awakens last night, but am I way off to think this whole story has been done by SW before? Its the same stuff, just regurgitated. Brutal.

Plot line (loosely)

Likable Droid contains info
    Likable Droid has to get back to rebel base (name of rebels changed do disguise the plot similarities)
    Likable Droid goes through wacky route to get back to rebel\resistance base
    Plot shifts to dusty planet and downtrodden character we don't know
    Get to know characters plight as insignificant on current planet
    Start to realize character might be more significant on a grand scale when empire comes across likable droid with this character
    Character and droid avoid empire and leave planet
    Character starts to realize force powers
    A jedi goes into hiding (luke instead of Yoda\OWK)
    Guy dressed in ST outfit busts out Rebel\Resistant fighter off of Empire\First Order ship.
    FO and empire are exactly the same thing, flying exactly the same ships, dressed almost exactly the same, acting like Germans just like in the previous movies just calling themselves something different. Makes no sense, and comes across REALLY weak. Its awful.
    Guy dresses in black that wants to get Skywalker.
    Guy heavily invested by family in Jedi ways turns against them.
    Han Solo and Chewy go to a bar.
    Empire, sorry, First Order shows up to bar.
    First order built a planet weapon without anyone knowing that looks basically like a butt, but is just a bigger death star.
    Plans are made shoot the rebel planet and they find out.
    Rebels launch attack to save themselves as planet killer takes aim at them.

This is just lazy. No way around it.
    Ivermectin Man

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Not the biggest xman fan, but the trailer for Logan looks good.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Not the biggest xman fan, but the trailer for Logan looks good.

gonna be the best one yet. i love comic book movies as much as anyone but the ones that come out (like Winter Solider) where it's a great movie that happens to have comic book characters in it seem to be the best.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-13-2016), rniki10 (10-22-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    This might sound like a childish complaint, but does it bug anyone else that Wolverine has appeared in 8 different films (cameos included) and we have yet to see him in his yellow uniform? I know the latest X-Men film teased the characters in their more identifiable uniforms at the end, but I really think that this is part of the appeal of the MCU films - you see the heroes in their most well known attire, as opposed to the black uniforms the X-Men have worn.

On a side note, I saw Dr. Strange last night. Solid story, great visuals, and certainly sets the stage for him to join the others in the MCU.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bj1133 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-04-2016)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    This might sound like a childish complaint, but does it bug anyone else that Wolverine has appeared in 8 different films (cameos included) and we have yet to see him in his yellow uniform? I know the latest X-Men film teased the characters in their more identifiable uniforms at the end, but I really think that this is part of the appeal of the MCU films - you see the heroes in their most well known attire, as opposed to the black uniforms the X-Men have worn.

On a side note, I saw Dr. Strange last night. Solid story, great visuals, and certainly sets the stage for him to join the others in the MCU.
    Agree 100%. Stupid Singer says it looks ridiculous. The closest we've gotten is the suit in his drawer in end credits of The Wolverine.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

What sucks is the movie that would be best served to show him in these is the next movie which is set in the 90's. It seems they are going for the 90's animated series look so that would be the ideal movie to showcase it. Yet Logan is the last movie (supposedly) that's he's doing.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    What sucks is the movie that would be best served to show him in these is the next movie which is set in the 90's. It seems they are going for the 90's animated series look so that would be the ideal movie to showcase it. Yet Logan is the last movie (supposedly) that's he's doing.
    I suppose using the costume would be a good way to introduce the new actor playing Wolverine. They have to include him in a prominent role in the next film, right?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Doctor Strange was good. Some CGI was bad, but it worked really well for the film.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-04-2016), thewupk (11-05-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Doctor Strange was good. Some CGI was bad, but it worked really well for the film.
    Saw it Friday night. Enjoyed it immensely. Agree the CGI was a little cheesy in spots, but just a fun movie. Terrific cast.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I suppose using the costume would be a good way to introduce the new actor playing Wolverine. They have to include him in a prominent role in the next film, right?
    It's hard to say honestly with the way their timeline **** is going on. In the current comics the original Wolverine is Old Man Logan and his female clone (X-23, which is who that girl is in the new movie) is the new Wolverine and he's mentoring her. So I have no idea what the are going to do going forward in the movies.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's hard to say honestly with the way their timeline **** is going on. In the current comics the original Wolverine is Old Man Logan and his female clone (X-23, which is who that girl is in the new movie) is the new Wolverine and he's mentoring her. So I have no idea what the are going to do going forward in the movies.
    I'm still holding out hope that Fox/Marvel work out a deal similar to what Sony did with Spider-Man, but it's a real slim chance that happens.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Hacksaw Ridge is a true story, in case that was lost on anyone. Doss spent much of his life living up here in Rising Fawn, Ga,. and is buried in the Natiional Cemetery in Chattanooga. Guy who wrote it for Gibson is the same guy who won the Oscar for Braveheart.