Page 87 of 96 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1912

Thread: Movie Thread

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Went to Boston to get away for a few days and took advantage of going to movie theater. Went twice. Saw The Suicide Squad and The Green Knight. Suicide Squad was very fun and enjoyable.

Suicide Squad was pretty great. It was fun, It was leagues better than the first one. Which to be fair, I think the OG suffered from studio interruption, which isn't something Gunn would have allowed. But I think the tone of the film being much more violent and much more graphic humor. It plays more like Deadpool or Doom Patrol which I think is better with a film where your heroes are villains.

I think the other huge advantage this film has over the OG is a more focused cast. This one essentially revolves around 6 characters, Flagg, Quinn, Bloodsport, Ratcatcher 2, Peacemaker, and Waller, Everyone else features in a role that aids one of those characters. And really, even Flag could be bumped down to helping Quinn.

The first film had essentially 6 main characters, but other characters with important threads. So while Deadshot, Quinn, FLag, Joker, Waller, and Enchantress, but there were soo many other characters with much more stuff that wasn't really important. Like a lot of time was spent on El Diablo to make his death seem more tragic, but no one cared.

King Shark could have had much more time talked about him, Polka Dot Man could have had more talked about him. But their motivations and backstory were handled quickly because they weren't really important to the story. Like I won't dive too much into the quality of the writing on the disposable characters who feel much more connected to than characters from the first film who had more space.

The Green Knight is a good film. I think it was trying too hard to be Oscar bait. I think Dev Patel will get a best actor nod, and could win it. I think the Set Design, Cinematography and Costuming were all great. But the film was just a bit hollow. I think it will be in the running for best picture, but it wasn't that great of a movie. I don't really want to see it again. I think it was a weird choice to cast Alicia Vikander as 2 roles which I get the general idea behind, but think it was too hamfisted of an approach. I didn't enjoy the ending personally as I think it does take the moral of the original story and just throws it away creating essentially a pointless story.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Also saw Space Jam New Legacy. holy **** that movie is buckwild. We get Austin Powers references, Mad Max Fury Road, watching the game include people like the Droogs from A Clockwork orange, A Nun from the Movie the Devils, Pennywise, The Mask, The Wicked Witch of the West, so many more. Movie is buckwild. People can fight me over it, but it was better than the OG. Though the soundtrack isn't remotely close to the level of the OG which is where it was at it's top levels. Cause the OG has top tier movie soundtrack. This one is much lower than that. But it's mainly because no track in the new one is close to I believe I can Fly. R. Kelly terrible person, but holy **** could he write and sing some bangers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Walked out of the new Space Jam. Beyond terrible.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Yeah. Zito seems to be the only person who liked that movie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    If you're not in the right mindset I get it. It's not a good movie by any standard movie rating. But you cannot expect it to be good. But pop a few edibles or take a few shots and you'll be rolling on the floor.

I mean come on they went all out making a meme movie, they need some respect for it.

Maybe I would have been mad if I paid for it. But it's so bad it's good.

LOOK AT THIS PICTURE

Without spending too much time on this, Droogs, Thundercats Scooby Doo gang, Deadwood characters, White Walkers, so much other ****. It's so jam packed with shenanigans. Don't get me wrong, if you're looking for a good movie, you won't find it here. If you're looking for a reboot of a really bad 90s movie you loved as a kid, they leaned into it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    The first Space Jam was not a "bad movie." It was great for what it was. It's a classic family movie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The first Space Jam was not a "bad movie." It was great for what it was. It's a classic family movie.
    No it's bad. Have you rewatched it? Jordan's acting was brutal. THe film was basically saved by Wayne Knight and Bill Murray. Don't get me wrong, this movie isn't good. But I'm down for the weirdness.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    No it's bad. Have you rewatched it? Jordan's acting was brutal. THe film was basically saved by Wayne Knight and Bill Murray. Don't get me wrong, this movie isn't good. But I'm down for the weirdness.
    Yes I have rewatched it. My nephews love it. Why do I care how Jordan's acting was? I don't base how good a movie is based on an actor's ability to win Oscar awards. It's a kids movie. And it was a great kids movie.

The acting in most of Arnold's movies like Commando and Predator is pretty bad too. That doesn't stop my enjoyment of them.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-16-2021 at 02:18 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (08-16-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    I'm probably too harsh on Space Jam 2 because the original is a classic. But the story was crap and the movie was essentially created to satisfy Bron's mega ego and advertise WB's other properties (which they already did with Ready Player One.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Yes I have rewatched it. My nephews love it. Why do I care how Jordan's acting was? I don't base how good a movie is based on an actor's ability to win Oscar awards. It's a kids movie. And it was a great kids movie.

The acting in most of Arnold's movies like Commando and Predator is pretty bad too. That doesn't stop my enjoyment of them.
    Arnold knew how to interact with his environment and other characters.

I mean I don't care to convince you that Space Jam New Legacy is enjoyable, you're allowed to like what you want. and dislike what you want. It is a bad movie, and here's where I'll assault your childhood too, just like Hook. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my bad movies, but acknowledging the truth makes it easier to enjoy other bad media.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Arnold knew how to interact with his environment and other characters.

I mean I don't care to convince you that Space Jam New Legacy is enjoyable, you're allowed to like what you want. and dislike what you want. It is a bad movie, and here's where I'll assault your childhood too, just like Hook. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my bad movies, but acknowledging the truth makes it easier to enjoy other bad media.
    Jordan had to talk to imaginary characters. You won't find many live action and cartoon movies where the actor has a good rapport with his cartoon co-stars, even with good actors.

But again, the acting by Jordan is irrelevant.

And GTFO if you think Hook is a bad movie.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-21-2021 at 01:38 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-23-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Jordan had to talk to imaginary characters. You won't find many live action and cartoon movies where the actor has a good rapport with his cartoon co-stars, even with good actors.

But again, the acting by Jordan is irrelevant.

And GTFO if you think Hook is a bad movie.
    Brendan Fraser in Looney Toons back in Action, Bob Hoskins in who framed Roger Rabbit, could go on about CGI interactions from before. Do you struggle to believe the scene in Jurassic park where they see the Brachiosaurus?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Anyone else hyped for Dune? It’ll be a better movie than VII-IX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I think Villeneuve will make a beautiful Sci-Fi film that some people won't like. Just like Blade Runner 2049. I'm excited for it, even if we don't get a series because I think Villeneuve like Nolan is going to leave Warner because of the HBOnow same day Box Office stuff.

I don't know why you feel any need to compare it to an unrelated film series. Based on early critical reviews, it looks to be lesser received than the Last Jedi or The Force Awakens. Will that continue? who knows. But being butthurt about Star Wars isn't going to improve your opinion of otherfilms for the better.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Dune was pretty good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Rewatched Knives Out again recently. Holy Crap it's an S tier film. S tier cast (Ana De Armas, Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Christopher Plummer, and LaKeith Stanfield) the story was fantastic, it used Chekov's Gun better than many films, The Knife sculpture, the blood on the shoe, etc. While it's not the most difficult mystery, it does a good job of casting doubt on every cast member.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Dune was pretty good
    I read he's doing it as a two-parter. Is that true?

Watched the old Lynch version the other night. I read the first four books in the Dune series (it had finally gotten too weird for me). So much stuff in the first book to try to cram into one movie. Lynch is such a visual director and the film (while rivaling Fincher in the "how dark can I make things" award) is really stunning in that respect, but the story just flies by.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Minor Spoilers for anyone who knows literally nothing about the plot of Dune:

I love Lynch’s version just for the audacity of the structure of the film. “Please enjoy this detailed hour and a half of setup, followed by this 30 minute montage for the actual central plot.” Like there is a part where they just cross-fade a translucent image of the main characters (who’ve been on screen together for like 15 seconds total) over another completely separate scene and go “btw they are in love now, like really a lot, anyway back to the montage” Truly wild.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Minor Spoilers for anyone who knows literally nothing about the plot of Dune:

I love Lynch’s version just for the audacity of the structure of the film. “Please enjoy this detailed hour and a half of setup, followed by this 30 minute montage for the actual central plot.” Like there is a part where they just cross-fade a translucent image of the main characters (who’ve been on screen together for like 15 seconds total) over another completely separate scene and go “btw they are in love now, like really a lot, anyway back to the montage” Truly wild.
    Hey, you omitted the climactic overlong fight scene between Kyle MacLachlan and Sting!

The thing I've always enjoyed about Lynch is that he can take a story that would take about 15 minutes to tell and stretch it into two hours or take a story that takes six hours to tell and scrunch it into two hours. Story-telling isn't his forte, but the guy can do mood and visuals better than anyone.

My question is "Will Villenueve's Baron Harkonnen feature the same gooey facial pustules and self-propelled floating mechanism as Lynch's?"

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I read he's doing it as a two-parter. Is that true?

Watched the old Lynch version the other night. I read the first four books in the Dune series (it had finally gotten too weird for me). So much stuff in the first book to try to cram into one movie. Lynch is such a visual director and the film (while rivaling Fincher in the "how dark can I make things" award) is really stunning in that respect, but the story just flies by.

Yeah. It’s a two parter. I don’t believe the second part has gotten the okay yet, but with decent success at the box office , I’m sure it well.

The Baron character was pretty cool
    Last edited by Krgrecw; 10-21-2021 at 08:47 PM.