Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1911

Thread: Movie Thread

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Never been a fan to be honest. And the reason they butchered Mystique is because it's a side character given a prominent role due to who was playing her.
    The reason they butchered Mystique was by making her a hero. It would be like making Magneto a hero. Just because you work with the heroes sometimes doesn't make you a hero. Mystique only looked out for herself. Making her a leader of the X-Men was forced.

Mystique wasn't a secondary character. She's one of the bigger villains out there.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The reason they butchered Mystique was by making her a hero. It would be like making Magneto a hero. Just because you work with the heroes sometimes doesn't make you a hero. Mystique only looked out for herself. Making her a leader of the X-Men was forced.

Mystique wasn't a secondary character. She's one of the bigger villains out there.
    I believe if it was some random actor that had played Mystique they would not have made the hero turn for her or gave her such a prominent role. I think they did it because of who was playing her.

Calling her a side character may have been a tad hyperbolic but she's a secondary X-Men villain imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I believe if it was some random actor that had played Mystique they would not have made the hero turn for her or gave her such a prominent role. I think they did it because of who was playing her.

Calling her a side character may have been a tad hyperbolic but she's a secondary X-Men villain imo.
    Fair enough, I agree. J-Law was booming when she got the role, she had been in Winters Bone by then, but the next year she exploded with the Hunger Games and Silver Linings Playbook. By the time Apocalypse came around, she completed the Hunger Games Trilogy, she was an Oscar Winner and her shooting schedule was easing back off a lot. By then I feel like they felt forced to make her a hero, even though the events of DofP she was set up for a great heroes death. I know the future issues, but honestly the future issues hsould have stopped her hero turn anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    What I would like for the XMen film coming out is all new characters but assuming they don't here's what I want, a mix of some old and some new because of the crazy **** Wanda did.

I want from OG xmen - Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Beast

From Younger XMen - Professor X, Magneto, Quicksilver

From Deadpool - Deadpool, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Colossus, and Cable

From others - X23 - the new Wolverine

Then you need to flesh out Gambit, Rogue, Ice Man, Jean Grey, Havoc, Night Crawler, Psylocke (though I wouldn't mind Olivia Munn coming back, I just would rather seperate that movie out of my mind) Jubilee, Emma Frost, Mystique, Toad, Pyro, Destiny, Sabertooth, Mister Sinister, Juggernaut (though I could argue bringing the Deadpool Juggernaut in) Blob,and others.

Would love to see solo or duo movies for most of the characters before a big one anyway. Like would love a movie with Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine and one with Gambit, Rogue, and Jubilee. The advantage to brining in established characters like Halle Berry as Storm is you don't need any real backstory, they're established, you just need to flesh out new relations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Wandavision EP 8 below

Spoiler: 
    Overall I'd call this a middling episode. It does fill in most of the blanks. How she got to Westview, how she spawned Vision, etc. It did a good job while tying in her past trauma. To me the best part of the episode proper was seeing from her persepctive the moment she apparated Vision. The weakest part was the Agatha parts, it just played in more questions and muddied up her backstory.

But that mid-credit scene. Gives me so many questions. Do they send in re-animated Vision to snuff out Wanda? Does Wanda drop the hex when she realizes Vision has been reanimated by Sword and she'll have to watch him die a 3rd time? So lots of different branches and no 100% clear way forward. The question is, does Pietro and the kids still exist after

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Introduced my kids to Napoleon Dynamite about a month ago and it instantly became their favorite movie. I think we've watched it 5 times since.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Spoiler: 
    I think cataract has to do with something (or someone) inside the Hex that Wanda can't see for whatever reason. It's how Hayward is able to keep tabs on Vision and everyone in the town. In medicine, a symptom of cataracts is actually double vision so perhaps there are two Visions somehow? Seems flimsy, but it's a theory.

Wow, one of my crazy theories was correct, lol.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    What I would like for the XMen film coming out is all new characters but assuming they don't here's what I want, a mix of some old and some new because of the crazy **** Wanda did.

I want from OG xmen - Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Beast

From Younger XMen - Professor X, Magneto, Quicksilver

From Deadpool - Deadpool, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Colossus, and Cable

From others - X23 - the new Wolverine

Then you need to flesh out Gambit, Rogue, Ice Man, Jean Grey, Havoc, Night Crawler, Psylocke (though I wouldn't mind Olivia Munn coming back, I just would rather seperate that movie out of my mind) Jubilee, Emma Frost, Mystique, Toad, Pyro, Destiny, Sabertooth, Mister Sinister, Juggernaut (though I could argue bringing the Deadpool Juggernaut in) Blob,and others.

Would love to see solo or duo movies for most of the characters before a big one anyway. Like would love a movie with Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine and one with Gambit, Rogue, and Jubilee. The advantage to brining in established characters like Halle Berry as Storm is you don't need any real backstory, they're established, you just need to flesh out new relations.

I like your idea for the most part.

I think they are going to explore a lot of mutants on Disney+ with TV shows, etc. And save the movies for the actual X-Men and eventually will setup Avengers vs X-Men.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I like your idea for the most part.

I think they are going to explore a lot of mutants on Disney+ with TV shows, etc. And save the movies for the actual X-Men and eventually will setup Avengers vs X-Men.
    I agree, I think movies will be used for big arcs and some fleshing out, but Disney+ will be used for relationship building and general character fleshing out.

I think what will be interesting is do they keep the movies mostly insular? Like do they use the shows to expand on ideas more than introduce new ones? If it's the latter I think we see Wiccan, Speed, and Quicksilver all disappear as well as both visions.

Personally i hope it's one big happy connected family. And people who aren't up to date have to catch up or miss some stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Finale below
    Spoiler: 
    Played it more or less how I expected. Even without the preview showing up. You knew at some point Wanda would use the runes and almost certainly against Agatha. I found the Vision resolution a bit disappointing, I was hoping that Vision would merge with White Vision and the Mind Stone was real. We don't know what happened to White Vision. But it seems like he's vision withtout the weakness of the mindstone being taken from him. What this means for his future who the hell knows. I was hoping we'd have a midcredits scene showing where he went. We got setups for likely Captain Marvel 2, and Doctor Strange 2. I don't love that they changed the appearance of the Dark Hold from Agents of Shield, because that woud have been a nice easteregg. And it would have really hinted heavily at Mephisto. It does seem this Darkhold though is a light copy as it doesn't have the all powerful corrupting ability it seems of the AoS one and Comic one. I'm assuming this means Wanda is a Catalyst in DS2, as she probably tears into the multiverse to bring her kids back.

Also damn Marvel, how can you **** over Wanda so hard. She's watched Vision die 3 times.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Finale below
    Spoiler: 
    Played it more or less how I expected. Even without the preview showing up. You knew at some point Wanda would use the runes and almost certainly against Agatha. I found the Vision resolution a bit disappointing, I was hoping that Vision would merge with White Vision and the Mind Stone was real. We don't know what happened to White Vision. But it seems like he's vision withtout the weakness of the mindstone being taken from him. What this means for his future who the hell knows. I was hoping we'd have a midcredits scene showing where he went. We got setups for likely Captain Marvel 2, and Doctor Strange 2. I don't love that they changed the appearance of the Dark Hold from Agents of Shield, because that woud have been a nice easteregg. And it would have really hinted heavily at Mephisto. It does seem this Darkhold though is a light copy as it doesn't have the all powerful corrupting ability it seems of the AoS one and Comic one. I'm assuming this means Wanda is a Catalyst in DS2, as she probably tears into the multiverse to bring her kids back.

Also damn Marvel, how can you **** over Wanda so hard. She's watched Vision die 3 times.
    I don't believe Kevin Fiege or the Russo Brothers view Agents of Shield as canon to the MCU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I don't believe Kevin Fiege or the Russo Brothers view Agents of Shield as canon to the MCU.
    Yes and no.

THey don't consider it when they're writing MCU stuff, but they give it the respect usually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Finally watched Dark Phoenix, so bad.

First things, in Apocalypse Jean showed her Phoenix powers.

Second is I mean we see Jean in Days of Future Past, so like WTF? Was Kinsberg just like, eh, no one cares about plot points or continuity.

Mystiques death was cheap and felt forced to make you care for her.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    X-Men movies have been super disappointing since X-2, with the exception of DOFP and Logan. And that's super frustrating because X-2 was such a great movie.

And X3 is definitely top 5 for me as one of the worst superhero movies ever made. Right up there with Ghost Rider, Suicide Squad, and Justice League, though Suicide Squad is far and away the worst among these. I couldn't even get through 30 minutes of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    X-Men movies have been super disappointing since X-2, with the exception of DOFP and Logan. And that's super frustrating because X-2 was such a great movie.

And X3 is definitely top 5 for me as one of the worst superhero movies ever made. Right up there with Ghost Rider, Suicide Squad, and Justice League, though Suicide Squad is far and away the worst among these. I couldn't even get through 30 minutes of it.
    What frustrated me with SUicide Squad was the original cast and concept was so good. Tom Hardy was supposed to be Rick Flag (not to insult Kinnaman but he's no Tom Hardy) but the studio/Ayer wanted more Will Smith and Jared Leto.

The movie was a hotmess in the end. But, Viola Davis was an amazing Amanda Waller, Margot Robbie did a great job as Harley Quinn, and Jai Courtney was good relief as Captain Boomerang. Looking forward to Gunn's version and he seemingly kept the best actors from the first film, and added a slew of other talented players in the mix.

But I'm here to say, First Class was better than Days of Future Past. Not that DoFP was bad, First Class had better pacing and more believable characters, and Vaughn was right, there should have been a movie between the 2.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    What frustrated me with SUicide Squad was the original cast and concept was so good. Tom Hardy was supposed to be Rick Flag (not to insult Kinnaman but he's no Tom Hardy) but the studio/Ayer wanted more Will Smith and Jared Leto.

The movie was a hotmess in the end. But, Viola Davis was an amazing Amanda Waller, Margot Robbie did a great job as Harley Quinn, and Jai Courtney was good relief as Captain Boomerang. Looking forward to Gunn's version and he seemingly kept the best actors from the first film, and added a slew of other talented players in the mix.

But I'm here to say, First Class was better than Days of Future Past. Not that DoFP was bad, First Class had better pacing and more believable characters, and Vaughn was right, there should have been a movie between the 2.

Eh, I didn't really enjoy First class that much. Several plot points seemed forced. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, but I enjoyed DOFP much more. First Class also created a bunch of continuity issues for the X-verse that was already in existence. At least with DOFP, a new timeline was created so continuity with prior films didn't matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Eh, I didn't really enjoy First class that much. Several plot points seemed forced. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, but I enjoyed DOFP much more. First Class also created a bunch of continuity issues for the X-verse that was already in existence. At least with DOFP, a new timeline was created so continuity with prior films didn't matter.
    I mean we can agree to disagree. I didn't think DoFP was bad. I'm not trying to dunk on it. I just rate First Class better. I think both films were irreverent to the timelines. DoFP just threw it all for a loop by saying the timelines didn't really matter. Which was what Vaughn was doing. The issue with the reboot they did was there was going to be continuity issues.

But really it's nothing compared to plot issues in DoFP. Why can Beast be both Beast and Human, but when we meet beast in X2 he's full beast. Did he decide to never use that serum again? Or like mystique's re-write was it more valuable to have Nicholas Hoult's face on screen? Why was professor X alive? 2 different Trasks?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Just finished that Snyder Justice League marathon.

Still not a great movie for obvious reasons, but it's 10x better than the original. Ending was a little weird with that dream/alternate timeline thing. Cool concept, but didn't really fit. And it seemed like final cameo could have simply been an end credit scene and not simply the ending.

The entire DCEU is a mess. They made some nice casting choices, particularly Gal Gadot who was a homerun. But the writing has been pretty poor in every DCEU movie so far. Man of Steel is probably still the best and that's pretty sad.

The royally effed up these movies. The Death of Superman was one of the most iconic story lines in all of comics featuring one of the most memorable Superman villains, and they essentially just glossed over everything in BvS.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Just finished that Snyder Justice League marathon.

Still not a great movie for obvious reasons, but it's 10x better than the original. Ending was a little weird with that dream/alternate timeline thing. Cool concept, but didn't really fit. And it seemed like final cameo could have simply been an end credit scene and not simply the ending.

The entire DCEU is a mess. They made some nice casting choices, particularly Gal Gadot who was a homerun. But the writing has been pretty poor in every DCEU movie so far. Man of Steel is probably still the best and that's pretty sad.

The royally effed up these movies. The Death of Superman was one of the most iconic story lines in all of comics featuring one of the most memorable Superman villains, and they essentially just glossed over everything in BvS.
    The Knightmare scenes were supposed to be what JL2 was.

JL2 was supposed to be the Knightmare future. JL3 was Batman sending Flash back in time to undo it, and then it would have been the entire JL plus the newer members like Shazam, Atlantans, Amazonians, etc. Against Darkseid's Armada in an all out war.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The problem with Superman movies, is they don't get the core of what Superman drama is. Superman's biggest foe isn't Darkseid, it's his own morals. Superman is so caring about protecting his family and friends. That's his weakness. Not kryptonite or a stronger foe, but his own caring.

Snyderverse was a failure as far as a filmmaking perspective. While marvel films are very meh for the most part, they're still super consistent. And it's becauses Feige is a comic nerd. Snyder is a stylistic director, wihch is why his comic book films have done well is because he makes his films look like comics. But he always lacks the heart. The reason his version of Watchmen sucked, was not because it looked bad, it looked fine, and he didn't brutalize any characters, but he was missing the heart of the watchmen comics, which is why the Watchmen TV show is so much better. It stayed true to the emotion of the comics, not just the look of the comics.

That's my gripe with Snyder's movies. He basically wants them all to be this gritty, dark, rough epic tale. And that's fine, but it's probably not the best option for every movie and it's why the movies people seem to like the most from DCEU are the slightly lighter and sillier films because they're a stark contrast to his films. It's part of why the MCU succeeds is because you have Thor: Ragnarok pitted with Black Panther. 2 top tier super hero movies that do different things.