Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 1912

Thread: Movie Thread

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I rewatched black hawk down the other day. That things A RIDE man.

And crazy star studded
    Have you rewatched Band of Brothers lately? Tom Hardy and Fassbender when they were 20 year old nobodies as ensemble cast. That’s still the best tv thing on TV I’ve ever watched.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    With oscar noms Here's who/what I want to win

Picture - Oppenheimer - I'm a known Nolan fanboy, he's been getting snubbed at the oscars for years despite that basically it's him and Cameron who can make original content and sellout theaters. Nolan's films are much more technically sound than Cameron's as well

Actor - Cillian Murphy - He spent so long being underappreciated I hope he gets this.

Actress - Lily Gladstone - Honestly my favorite part of KotFM. Though I know Emma Stone is the odds on favorite.

Supporting Actor - Ryan Gosling - 2 reasons I want this. First is he was truly amazing in that film. Embodying a role most serious actors would never do as late in their career as he is. Second, Comedies deserve oscar props too.

Supporting Actress - Emily BLunt - I admit, there's lots I haven't seen here, but she smoked it.

Director - Nolan - He's due like Marty was when he won departed. Marty I wouldn't be mad for winning because the fact he only has 1 is criminal when It's wild that Clint Eastwood has more best director oscars than Marty.

Score - Oppenheimer - Haven't seen them all and giving WIlliams another would be amazing. But Oppenheimer's score was ****ing brilliant.

Original Song - I'm Just Ken - Though it will lose to What was I made for?

Cinematography - Oppenheimer

Costume - Barbie

WOn't go deeper than taht just kind of going with big ones and ones I think should be a slam dunks.

Stupid that Oppenheimer didn't get visual effects nom.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Just got back from Argyle, It's very fun. It's a dumb movie (I called all the twists several beats ahead of the film, one half one I missed, but that's it) but the cast puts in a good turn, it's very fun, and while IMO not as good as the Kingsmen films, it's still fun. It's not a good movie but it's a fun popcorn muncher.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-02-2024)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    With oscar noms Here's who/what I want to win

Picture - Oppenheimer - I'm a known Nolan fanboy, he's been getting snubbed at the oscars for years despite that basically it's him and Cameron who can make original content and sellout theaters. Nolan's films are much more technically sound than Cameron's as well

Actor - Cillian Murphy - He spent so long being underappreciated I hope he gets this.

Actress - Lily Gladstone - Honestly my favorite part of KotFM. Though I know Emma Stone is the odds on favorite.

Supporting Actor - Ryan Gosling - 2 reasons I want this. First is he was truly amazing in that film. Embodying a role most serious actors would never do as late in their career as he is. Second, Comedies deserve oscar props too.

Supporting Actress - Emily BLunt - I admit, there's lots I haven't seen here, but she smoked it.

Director - Nolan - He's due like Marty was when he won departed. Marty I wouldn't be mad for winning because the fact he only has 1 is criminal when It's wild that Clint Eastwood has more best director oscars than Marty.

Score - Oppenheimer - Haven't seen them all and giving WIlliams another would be amazing. But Oppenheimer's score was ****ing brilliant.

Original Song - I'm Just Ken - Though it will lose to What was I made for?

Cinematography - Oppenheimer

Costume - Barbie

WOn't go deeper than taht just kind of going with big ones and ones I think should be a slam dunks.

Stupid that Oppenheimer didn't get visual effects nom.
    Haven't given it that much thought, but Oppenheimer was just such a BIG movie that I have a difficult time believing it's not going to come close to the same sweep that Everything Everywhere All at Once did last year. I thought Giamatti was excellent in The Holdovers, but Murphy was outstanding. Downey, Jr., v. Gosling is likely close and I guess Gladstone v. Stone is one to watch. After watching the previews for Poor Things, I have no interest in seeing it. Lanthimos has quite a following in the artsier set, but I find most of his stuff impenetrable and odd just for the sake of being odd.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Just saw American Fiction. It won't win and Jeffrey Wright and Sterling K. Brown won't win in their categories, but it is a really good movie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    This is gonna be a long rant into the void, but I don't care.

So I'm convinced that generally speaking the Academy awards the best original song without thinking about trends and future but to the film. So anyway, looking at some winners for best original song and considering who should have won.

2021 - No Time to Die wins the award, Bond songs cleanup at the oscars, but this came out the same year as Encanto. Ignoring the fact the song nominated (Dos Oruguitas) isn't the song everyone was signing from Encanto, but any song from that film is infinitely better and more remember than No Time to Die. I couldn't hum/sing that song if I tried and I've heard it a dozen times.

2016 - La La Land won the best song and was nominated twice, there isn't a memorable song from the film, same year Moana came out with multiple bangers, there was the pop charts crossover hit in Can't Stop the Feeling. La La Land was hollywood masturbatory **** and they cleaned up with it.

2014 - Selma's Glory won, and it's a fine song, but it came out the same year as Everything is Awesome which still slaps, and I'm Gonna Miss you from Glen Campbell: I'll be Me. I think this is another example like La La Land where the movie was why the song won.

2009 - I love Crazy Heart, but nothing is truly memorable about it's song that won, compare that to Princess and the Frog, which would have given Randy NEwman a deserved win.

1998 - What if I told you that a song from Prince of Egypt beat out That'll DO from Babe: Pig in the City or more importantly I don't want to Miss a Thing. A song people still sing 25+ years later.

1992 - I adore Aladdin, but for I Will Always Love You to not be nominated much less not winning despite it being considered one of the all time greatest movie songs of all time is a big loss.

1990 - This one I'm probably all alone, but how did a song from Dick Tracy beat the Jersey Masterpiece Blaze of Glory?

1982 - While not a bad choice, how does the sop that is Up Where We Belong beat of the clearly iconic Eye of the Tiger? HOW?

1980 - Fame beats 9 to 5. That's all you need ot know. .

1979 - If I told you Rainbow Connection didn't win the award you'd think the song that did would be amazing, can any of the old heads tell me if It Goes Like it Goes slapped back in the day, Cause I gave it a listen through and it blows a big one.

1978 - Probably a more personal one, A Star is BOrn wins in the same year we get one of the most iconic film themes of all time that didn't come from John Williams when Bill Conti gaves us Gonna Fly Now.

1967 - The Bare Necessities doesn't win, instead Talk to the ANimals from Dr. Doolittle does.

Like the list of wrong songs winning, is way too long for me. And sometimes it's pretty obvious to me.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    At least "Theme from Shaft" won!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    This is gonna be a long rant into the void, but I don't care.

So I'm convinced that generally speaking the Academy awards the best original song without thinking about trends and future but to the film. So anyway, looking at some winners for best original song and considering who should have won.

2021 - No Time to Die wins the award, Bond songs cleanup at the oscars, but this came out the same year as Encanto. Ignoring the fact the song nominated (Dos Oruguitas) isn't the song everyone was signing from Encanto, but any song from that film is infinitely better and more remember than No Time to Die. I couldn't hum/sing that song if I tried and I've heard it a dozen times.

2016 - La La Land won the best song and was nominated twice, there isn't a memorable song from the film, same year Moana came out with multiple bangers, there was the pop charts crossover hit in Can't Stop the Feeling. La La Land was hollywood masturbatory **** and they cleaned up with it.

2014 - Selma's Glory won, and it's a fine song, but it came out the same year as Everything is Awesome which still slaps, and I'm Gonna Miss you from Glen Campbell: I'll be Me. I think this is another example like La La Land where the movie was why the song won.

2009 - I love Crazy Heart, but nothing is truly memorable about it's song that won, compare that to Princess and the Frog, which would have given Randy NEwman a deserved win.

1998 - What if I told you that a song from Prince of Egypt beat out That'll DO from Babe: Pig in the City or more importantly I don't want to Miss a Thing. A song people still sing 25+ years later.

1992 - I adore Aladdin, but for I Will Always Love You to not be nominated much less not winning despite it being considered one of the all time greatest movie songs of all time is a big loss.

1990 - This one I'm probably all alone, but how did a song from Dick Tracy beat the Jersey Masterpiece Blaze of Glory?

1982 - While not a bad choice, how does the sop that is Up Where We Belong beat of the clearly iconic Eye of the Tiger? HOW?

1980 - Fame beats 9 to 5. That's all you need ot know. .

1979 - If I told you Rainbow Connection didn't win the award you'd think the song that did would be amazing, can any of the old heads tell me if It Goes Like it Goes slapped back in the day, Cause I gave it a listen through and it blows a big one.

1978 - Probably a more personal one, A Star is BOrn wins in the same year we get one of the most iconic film themes of all time that didn't come from John Williams when Bill Conti gaves us Gonna Fly Now.

1967 - The Bare Necessities doesn't win, instead Talk to the ANimals from Dr. Doolittle does.

Like the list of wrong songs winning, is way too long for me. And sometimes it's pretty obvious to me.
    I Will Always Love You was not an original for The Bodyguard. Dolly Parton wrote that song for her friend Porter Wagoner back in the 70's. Then she popularized it again in The Best Little Whore House in Texas during the 80's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I Will Always Love You was not an original for The Bodyguard. Dolly Parton wrote that song for get friend Porter Wagoner back in the 70's. Then she popularized it again in The Best Little Whore House in Texas during the 80's.
    There You'll Be isn't an original song for Pearl Harbor but was up for grammy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    There You'll Be isn't an original song for Pearl Harbor but was up for grammy.
    According to Wiki, Warner Brothers released the soundtrack version of the song before Faith Hill officially released the single from her album
    I'm sure there was some sort of agreement in place there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    According to Wiki, Warner Brothers released the soundtrack version of the song before Faith Hill officially released the single from her album
    I'm sure there was some sort of agreement in place there.
    Possibly. Even without that one which I still think should be in consideration because it's rearranged and not just a note for note cover in a different key.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...-p7sJJGSlYMBSb

Warner Brothers made a movie Coyote vs Acme which is similar to the animation mixing with live action like Who Framed Roger Rabbit but apparently really doesnt want to release it despite people wanting to see it and companies like Netflix offering to buy it. Personally I would love to see it. I am all for lower taxes but when a company would rather delete their own movie for a tax credit when they have multiple companies wanting to bid for the rights to air it it tells me we need to do away with these tax credits they are using.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Just got back from Argyle, It's very fun. It's a dumb movie (I called all the twists several beats ahead of the film, one half one I missed, but that's it) but the cast puts in a good turn, it's very fun, and while IMO not as good as the Kingsmen films, it's still fun. It's not a good movie but it's a fun popcorn muncher.
    We saw Argylle last night and enjoyed it. It ran 15-20 minutes too long and in Vaughn's seeming pattern, he takes a bit too long to tie things up (especially after the twist). That said, good story and great acting from the cast. I'm a big Sam Rockwell fan and he is as brilliant as ever here.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (02-17-2024)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Dune 2 anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Hoping to see if my soon as long as I avoid the flu that's been going around.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Dune 2 anyone?
    Going to my local IMAX next weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Going to my local IMAX next weekend
    I'm so mad that I have to drive almost 2 hours to go to a ****ty IMAX. If I still lived in NJ, I"d be a shorter drive from seeing it in King of Prussia in 70MM Imax. And from my apartment in New Brunswick, there was an IMAX literally across route 1 (saw Tron there, it was so ****ing fun) and at my parents house I was like 40 minutes away from an IMAX (used to be closer but the one in Hamilton closed, now I need to go to New Brunswick or Bensalem I think)

Now I have to drive most of the way to Boston to go to an IMAX theater, where I'd almost rather go to boston and spend the night there for extra money so at least I can get some good food out of it too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Just got back from Dune, it's very good. Not ground breaking or amazing but it was a good blockbuster. My spicy take, I still preferred D&D movie to it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    I thought Dune was fantastic. Great cast and Denis is up there with Nolan as the best big budget directors of his generation.

Dune Part 3 is going to be weird though. That is basically unadaptable source material.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I thought Dune was fantastic. Great cast and Denis is up there with Nolan as the best big budget directors of his generation.

Dune Part 3 is going to be weird though. That is basically unadaptable source material.
    Yeah, I think they'll be fine, Villeneuve is a smart director.