Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4686949596
Results 1,901 to 1,911 of 1911

Thread: Movie Thread

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Nolan finally got his flowers, it's been long overdo. After no wins for 2 decades of amazing work, he finally got his award, should have won for Inception or Interstellar, didn't even get a nom for INterstellar. American Sniper was nominated for best picture what the **** .
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Nolan finally got his flowers, it's been long overdo. After no wins for 2 decades of amazing work, he finally got his award, should have won for Inception or Interstellar, didn't even get a nom for INterstellar. American Sniper was nominated for best picture what the **** .
    Well deserved. My generation’s Spielberg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Well deserved. My generation’s Spielberg.
    I think that's a fair assessment. It's rare to have someone make academy level films that also are hits in the box office. Spielberg did that, I thought it was gonna be Peter Jackson, but he seems to be more in the Lucas side of thing where he cares more about Weta than being a director.

JJ wants to be Spielberg, but he's not.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    Pretty much what I expected from what I had read. Actually a pretty decent show. I really thought the way they presented the acting awards was inventive and neat. Hard to tell what was going on with Al Pacino.

I avoided Poor Things, but I am a Hulu+ subscriber so I can now watch for free. Lanthimos is creative, but I'm starting to see him the same way I see Guillermo del Toro in that the style overwhelms the substance.

Oppenheimer wasn't my favorite movie of the year, but it certainly is a worthy winner. Same for Nolan. Tremendous vision that he can translate into great storytelling. That said, I still can't figure out Tenet. Curious what Murphy does next. Tremendously versatile actor who already had a great set of performances under his belt. No question this vaults him into another tier of stardom.

All in all, it was a really good year at the theater with solid offerings and a set of really great acting performances.

PS--I see overrated Wes Anderson won his first Oscar. I imagine his next feature will be a live-action Gumby biopic.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Pretty much what I expected from what I had read. Actually a pretty decent show. I really thought the way they presented the acting awards was inventive and neat. Hard to tell what was going on with Al Pacino.

I avoided Poor Things, but I am a Hulu+ subscriber so I can now watch for free. Lanthimos is creative, but I'm starting to see him the same way I see Guillermo del Toro in that the style overwhelms the substance.

Oppenheimer wasn't my favorite movie of the year, but it certainly is a worthy winner. Same for Nolan. Tremendous vision that he can translate into great storytelling. That said, I still can't figure out Tenet. Curious what Murphy does next. Tremendously versatile actor who already had a great set of performances under his belt. No question this vaults him into another tier of stardom.

All in all, it was a really good year at the theater with solid offerings and a set of really great acting performances.

PS--I see overrated Wes Anderson won his first Oscar. I imagine his next feature will be a live-action Gumby biopic.
    Pacino hasn't been able to sleep much since he's had his new baby at age 83.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Ricky Stanicky is a solid comedy on Prime. I liked it way more than I thought I would, mostly because John Cena movies are normally hot garbage (Although, the Peacemaker series on HBO was legitimately good).

But Cena works well in this one. Worth a watch, imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

Tenet is an odd film for sure. I need to watch it again. It's been too long.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Ricky Stanicky is a solid comedy on Prime. I liked it way more than I thought I would, mostly because John Cena movies are normally hot garbage (Although, the Peacemaker series on HBO was legitimately good).

But Cena works well in this one. Worth a watch, imo.
    I'm halfway through it and will finish it. Cena isn't the reincarnation of Sir Lawrence Olivier, but I usually get a kick out of him when I'm in the mood for some lowbrow stuff. His bit at the Oscars last night was classic. Along with Gosling's "I'm Just Ken," it was the best bit of the night.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    Saw Dune 2 with step-grandson last Saturday as part of his birthday celebration. I can't say I loved it. I'm not one of those anal retentive fanboys who carps when the movie departs from the book, but Villeneuve really took liberties in the last half of the movie and departed pretty signficantly from the book. When you put together a two-part movie to cover the book, I can't believe he couldn't have created space for the time gap regarding Alia. David Lynch compressed too much of the book into 2 hours, 17 minutes, with his version, but he somehow didn't depart in the same way Villeneuve has. Other difference is that Lynch's version is more visually stunning, which figures seeing that Lynch is a painter when not directing movies.

Like I said the other day, I have Hulu so I did watch Poor Things. I don't have the deluxe Hulu package so the movie was broken up by commercials and as I was watching the movie, I was looking forward to the next commercial break. Lanthimos has a style and I thought The Favourite was a lot of fun (in a somewhat pathetic way), but he veers toward cheap shock value largely through decadence (and believe me, I'm no prude) to detract from the story. I'm not going to begrudge Stone her Oscar. She does extremely well in the role. I've now seen all but two of the best picture nominations and I don't know how Poor Things managed to land a nomination. To me, this was just another version of The Lobster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think sometimes there's the aspect of growth. Part of the problem of Alia is the age, while not impossible, a 4 ish year time jump is doable but can be jarring especially when you're supposed to be showing hard desert aging.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I think sometimes there's the aspect of growth. Part of the problem of Alia is the age, while not impossible, a 4 ish year time jump is doable but can be jarring especially when you're supposed to be showing hard desert aging.
    I just found it odd that Lynch did it in less than half the length. Of course, in Lynch's version it takes the whole of Villenueve's second segment and compresses it into about twenty minutes. While it's counterintutive, it might be easier to take a four-year time leap when you're rushing alongside Paul's ascendence. In Lynch's movie, once Paul's eyes go blue he's off to the races with a lot of battle scenes and the speech to the mass assembly. On to the Emperor's arrival and a really bad fight scene with Sting and roll the credits.

PS--In another matter, I rented Dream Scenario last evening and it's a really good movie. Lots of levels and Nicolas Cage is excellent in a very non-Nicholas Cage-like role. Dark comedy that skewers a lot of modern life.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 03-16-2024 at 05:00 PM.