Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1911

Thread: Movie Thread

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Yeah. It’s a two parter. I don’t believe the second part has gotten the okay yet, but with decent success at the box office , I’m sure it well.

The Baron character was pretty cool
    Villanueve unless he's under contract may not do it. He's pissed about the HBOMax simultaneous release. Though if they give him the budget to do it like the first, then he may.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Villanueve unless he's under contract may not do it. He's pissed about the HBOMax simultaneous release. Though if they give him the budget to do it like the first, then he may.
    I get that he's not totally happy, but I thought I read that HBOMax tried to make everyone whole to a greater extent than Disney (hence Scarlett Johansson's actions against Disney). Mrs. 50# and I are in our late-60s, so we will be watching from the comfort of our living room. We were weekly movie theater attendees and I wouldn't have a problem going back. Mrs. 50# feels less secure, so we are thankful for the streaming aspect and don't mind the delay it takes for some films to make it over to Amazon Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The issue is that some of these creatives (such as ScarJo v. Disney) were being paid based on box office take. What Disney did is extra insidious because they made extra money then didn't pay it.

To me there's a simple solve to HBO's issue. Ditch the same day. Give theaters 2 weeks or a month then stream it. It satisfies both markets.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-22-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    The issue is that some of these creatives (such as ScarJo v. Disney) were being paid based on box office take. What Disney did is extra insidious because they made extra money then didn't pay it.

To me there's a simple solve to HBO's issue. Ditch the same day. Give theaters 2 weeks or a month then stream it. It satisfies both markets.
    I agree. Waiting a month to watch at home isn't too steep a price for those of us who don't want to go to the theater.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    Watched the new Dune Friday night. Not bad, but it makes no sense without a sequel. Totally different feel than Lynch's version (which Lynch has basically disowned). I haven't read the books in 40+ years, but I think there are a few deviations that I thought a slowed-down version would avoid.

Interesting comparison to me was the moody Chalamet vs. the earnest MacLachlan in the role of Paul Atreides.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Watched the new Dune Friday night. Not bad, but it makes no sense without a sequel. Totally different feel than Lynch's version (which Lynch has basically disowned). I haven't read the books in 40+ years, but I think there are a few deviations that I thought a slowed-down version would avoid.

Interesting comparison to me was the moody Chalamet vs. the earnest MacLachlan in the role of Paul Atreides.
    Sounds like it needs a few big weeks at the box office for part 2 to happen

Globally, Dune sailed past the $200 million mark after opening previously in earlier markets. Overseas, the movie earned another $47.4 million from 75 markets for a foreign tally of $180.6 million and $220.2 million globally. However, it has a long way to go before recouping its $165 million budget and additional marketing spend.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I liked this version a lot, but I agree with 50 that this doesn't feel like a complete standalone move at all. With the arc of this one, I'm honestly pretty surprised this wasn't a Matrix 2/3 "we filmed them all at once" thing. I will be pretty annoyed if DV doesn't make a sequel.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,271 Posts
    Everyone associated with this movie has said it’s going to happen (WB CEO, DV, Chalamet, Zendaya, etc). Josh Brolin mentioned in an interview they will probably start filming next summer. It’s also been very successful on HBOMAX and a modest box office success.

I personally loved it. Denis is the best working director that can bring prestige to mainstream audiences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    They made it official today. From Legendary theatrical release only. Which likely means they use a different distributor than Warner.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    They made it official today. From Legendary theatrical release only. Which likely means they use a different distributor than Warner.

As well as they should. Best sci fi/action movie in years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,271 Posts
    I don’t think that’s true. Warner Bros also green lit the sequel. Given that HBO is producing a spin-off series about the Benni Gesserit, I imagine Legendary will want to partner with WB. Besides, WB is done with day one streaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don’t think that’s true. Warner Bros also green lit the sequel. Given that HBO is producing a spin-off series about the Benni Gesserit, I imagine Legendary will want to partner with WB. Besides, WB is done with day one streaming.
    Hopefulyl they are. I don't mind movies hitting streaming platforms soon after release (Month or Two) but without the box office revenue you'll be ready to kiss your quilty blockbusters good by and say hello to Tik-Tok/Youtube quality movies.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    The Dune story gets a lot less complicated from this point forward because all of the intricate explanation of the settings and various characters has been done. They absolutely had to make a sequel to bring the spirit of the book together.

Agree on cutting back on same-day/same-week streaming. I think a lot of smaller budget art house films will continue to go in that direction, but big budgets require in-person viewing to make money.

MPR's 1A show had a discussion of Dune yesterday (10/27) and both critics really liked it, but when the host said that some are considering it the next Lord of the Rings, I almost drove off the road. Apples-and-oranges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Saw Last Night in Soho tonight. It is fantastic. It is very different than other Edgar Wright films. I knew going in it was gonna be a horror/suspense film. Thought it would be a little more funny because it's a Wright film, even Baby Driver had a healthy dose of comedy. But he is a master at incorporating popular music into his films. And he did it again. Also the editing was exceptional. So much work swapping around Anya Taylor-Joy and Thominson McKenzie. The story is a bit obvious if you pay attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,894 Posts
    Spiderman was incredibly overrated despite always being a fan of the multiverse concept in the Spiderman lore.
    Natural Immunity Croc

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Spiderman was incredibly overrated despite always being a fan of the multiverse concept in the Spiderman lore.

Scorsese and Ridley Scott have some valid points about marvel and super hero movies
    Last edited by Krgrecw; 12-30-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    nostalgia was big with this one. still...way better than The Matrix reboot/sequel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Scorsese and Ridley Scott have some valid points about marvel and super hero movies
    What's the last great Ridley Scott film?

MCU films fill a niche. They're greater than many of the blockbusters of yesteryear. Scorsese should realize he lives in a different realm. The people who should be pissed about MCU films are the Michael Bays of the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    nostalgia was big with this one. still...way better than The Matrix reboot/sequel
    I actually don't think Nostalgia was that big. I think it served as an interesting continuation of Far From Home. What will determine the status of this film though is the next one.

Also it highlights the biggest advantage the MCU has over all other comic book movies, being faithful to the source material, in a modern way.

Look at the massive difference. I cannot wait for MCU XMen, I cannot wait to see Wolverine in his Yellow and Blue outfit.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    What's the last great Ridley Scott film?

MCU films fill a niche. They're greater than many of the blockbusters of yesteryear. Scorsese should realize he lives in a different realm. The people who should be pissed about MCU films are the Michael Bays of the world.

MCU are trash movies. Denis Villeneuve and James Cameron agree with them. They’re all more or less the same movie. Horrible scripts, big explosions, movies driven by CGI.