Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1912

Thread: Movie Thread

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Mortal Kombat.....meh, I liked the original better. The first like 10 minutes looked like it could be pretty decent. Then it went down hill pretty fast.
    Yeah. I'd love a movie just about Sub Zero and Scorpion.

The Sub Zero actor apparently signed on for a total of 5 movies. And with this movie already making back it's budget at the box office I can assume they will keep making more. Have to wonder if they will keep the budget on the small side to be able to get these movies out.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah. I'd love a movie just about Sub Zero and Scorpion.

The Sub Zero actor apparently signed on for a total of 5 movies. And with this movie already making back it's budget at the box office I can assume they will keep making more. Have to wonder if they will keep the budget on the small side to be able to get these movies out.
    I think they'll hang around that budget limit. It makes it easier to keep hitting it's targets.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    They would have been better off taking a dark comedy action spin to this. Maybe something like the recent Jumanji movies or even they Gamer movie with Gerard Butler. Something where you don't have to explain powers or build a plot around specific fight scenes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    They would have been better off taking a dark comedy action spin to this. Maybe something like the recent Jumanji movies or even they Gamer movie with Gerard Butler. Something where you don't have to explain powers or build a plot around specific fight scenes.
    Not gonna lie, that was some of my favorite parts. I thought it was silly and stupid. But loved it. It was fun to have Sonya get her powers killing Kano. It is satisfying because she hated him.

Conversely, there were things I didn't like, like how throw away Reptile was and kind of Goro.

I liked that they made a new character, I think it made for an interesting story jumping off point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Not gonna lie, that was some of my favorite parts. I thought it was silly and stupid. But loved it. It was fun to have Sonya get her powers killing Kano. It is satisfying because she hated him.

Conversely, there were things I didn't like, like how throw away Reptile was and kind of Goro.

I liked that they made a new character, I think it made for an interesting story jumping off point.
    Really?

The storyline made no sense and most of the characters only purpose in the movie was that they were in the game. Zero character build up and they rushed through most of the fight scenes. Raiden easily one of the most popular characters and zero fight scenes for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    True, but isn't that kind of the point of Mortal Kombat? Like there is a loose plot there (like in the old Street Fighter games) but they tell a pretty bananas tale.

Raiden will get his fight scenes in later films. They did what everyone wanted, Scorpion vs. Subzero in this film. Set up a solid core of heroes, hopefully they have the stones to kill off a few of them in the next film.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Yes. The video game plot is terrible as well, but it's an arcade game. It doesn't translate well to a movie, which is why something like Jumanji or Gamer make more sense. Where people are thrown into a game that doesn't make sense and have to follow ridiculous rules to make it out a alive.

I like how Raiden teleports everyone to the light realm or whatever and says Shang Tsung can't go there. They couldn't have gone there the first time Shang Tsung arrived?
    Last edited by Carp; 04-29-2021 at 10:02 AM.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    The Last of Us, tv adaption, will make us all forget about this video game movie

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Just finished Cruella. Surprised I liked it so well. Emma Stone was fantastic. It definitely doesn't feel like your typical Disney movie at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Batman Begins and The Dark Knight really really hold up.

Great superhero movies
    Ivermectin Man

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Carp (06-16-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

Great superhero movies
    Dark Knight is the GOAT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

Great superhero movies
    Dark Knight Rises > Batman Begins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Saw Black Widow last night. It was quite enjoyable. What's a little wild to me is that I feel like ScarJo was lost to her surrounding cast. I think Florence Pugh stole the show. While I thought David Harbor played a bit of a one dimensional character, I thought it served the film well and he executed it incredibly well. Rachel Weisz was strong though not in the film much, and I enjoyed the overall plot. I think the film suffers in the sense of the Villain, while I think Ray Winstone was great and played a fantastic role. He was barely in it. I get they were going for a bit of a Blofeld thing, but I don't think the payoff happened. I thought Taskmaster provided a good threat, but I don't think the payoff was there,
    Spoiler: 
    but it does set up Taskmaster to perhaps show up as a villain later, or set up a version of the Thunderbolts movies/TV show as it seems like all the pieces are falling into place (Zemo, Taskmaster, Florence Pugh as Black Widow, and US Agent) as Heroes for hire. Yes we know that JLD is playing essentially Madame Hydra. But Hydra didn't believe themselves to be the villains so I can see where this comes into play with these heroes thinking they're doing good.

Also the end credit was a fun teaser that I'm excited for. Basically confirms this isn't a one and done for Pugh.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Tomorrow War was very meh. I mean the title should have gave that away, but I was hoping a movie with Chris Pratt and JK Simmons would be a lot better.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Tomorrow War was very meh. I mean the title should have gave that away, but I was hoping a movie with Chris Pratt and JK Simmons would be a lot better.
    I have yet to watch a made for streaming movie that is quality comparable to theatrical.

Netflix, amazon, hulu, whatever.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I have yet to watch a made for streaming movie that is quality comparable to theatrical.

I wouldn't say a lot of these were "made for streaming.". I'm quite positive a lot of them would have been theatrical releases if not for COVID. Palm Springs was fantastic if you haven't watched that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post

I mean are you talking about movies released on these platforms? Because you're wrong. I'm not sure what "made for streaming" means though.

Netflix has El Camino, Trial of the Chicago Seven, I'm thinking of Ending Things, Okja, Roma, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Da 5 Bloods, Marriage Story, Uncut Gems, Dolemite is my Name, Extraction, the Irishman to name a few.

Amazon Studios has legit amazing stuff they make with the intention of streaming.

I will give you, there is a disconnect and the best films IMO are still made with a theater in mind. But the Oscars did a great job ****ing that up by ignoring Tenet because they're salty it didn't save the film industry mid pandemic.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    I felt like Tenet failed to adequately explain the plot throughout the movie. If made me feel like I had to have a PhD in Physics to fully understand what was going on. I had to stop and Google wtf they were talking about multiple times. I'm still not sure I fully understood it.

Visually, it was stunning though. But that's no surprise for a Nolan film.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I felt like Tenet failed to adequately explain the plot throughout the movie. If made me feel like I had to have a PhD in Physics to fully understand what was going on. I had to stop and Google wtf they were talking about multiple times. I'm still not sure I fully understood it.

Visually, it was stunning though. But that's no surprise for a Nolan film.

I agree. I don’t know one person who didn’t have to pause Tenet and be like ‘what the hell’

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I agree. I don’t know one person who didn’t have to pause Tenet and be like ‘what the hell’
    Raises hand

Don't get me wrong. Learn more with rewatching and retrospective of course. But it spells out most of the things it puts out there. While I enjoy movies where you don't have to think, I appreciate ones where you do. They spell out almost all the key points in the film. It does require recall but recall is important in any nolan film.