Page 78 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1911

Thread: Movie Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I had absolutely no idea about this story until the movie came out. Of course, I grew up on the other end of the Mississippi and all we ever heard about (and continue to hear about) up here is the gallantry of the First Minnesota at Gettysburg. Watching the movie, I sensed a somewhat libertarian, and yet equalitarian, undertone as in "Don't tell me who to love. Don't tell me who to fight. Just leave me alone." But it's truly a compelling story.
    Yes, and the 20 Slave Law solidified his feeling that it was a "rich man's war".

This book is a good place to to learn more. Evidently, Newton Knight was imprisoned several times for desertion before he finally went back home for good and started his band of Unionists. The book also claims that it was said that he walked into a secret Confederate meeting about what to do about him and shot everyone down, leaving no witnesses.

Last edited by Runnin; 05-01-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-01-2019)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Will they ever get this group right? Is Chris Evans the only actor to play two different characters in the Marvel universe, portraying both Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers?

I would love to see a Silver Surfer-centric movie. Galactus is one of my faves.
    To answer your second question. Nope

Idris Elba - Heimdell in MCU and Moreau in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Ray Stevenson - Volstagg in MCU and Punisher in Punisher: War Zon

Alfre Woodard - Played the upset Mom in Civil War who confronted Iron Man and Mariah Dillard in Luke Cage

Jon Favreau - Happy in MCU, Foggy Nelson in Daredevil movie.

Kate Mara - US Marshall in Iron Man 2, Sue Storm in F4 Reboot

Olivia Munn - ALso had a bit part in Iron Man 2 as a reporter, and Psylocke in X-Men Apocalypse.

Ryan Reynolds - Even against the arguement of Real Deadpool vs. bad Deadpool, he was also in Blade Trinity.

Kenneth Choi - Played Jim Morita in Captain America the First Avenger and Peggy Carter, and his Grandson in Spiderman Homecoming.

ANd the 2 big ones

Josh Brolin - Thanos in MCU and Cable in Deadpool 2

Michael B. Jordan - Killmonger in MCU and Johnny Storm in f4.

As far as the first. Question. Yes. First thing is don't make it an introduction movie. Like Spiderman we've seen this dozens and dozens of times. Just get in with the action.

There is a challenge in that F4, more specifically Reed RIchards is an incredibly important Avenger in the comics. So introducing them will be a bit annoying perhaps. X-Men are kind of similar, how could beings this powerful be ignored so far. But they'll handle it well I'm sure. Also given the events in Avengers, I think Phase 4 of the MCU will be a long one leading to a different Avengers.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-01-2019), AerchAngel (05-01-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    “Star Wars” actor Peter Mayhew, who played Chewbacca in the original trilogy, died on Tuesday, his family announced on his Twitter. He was 74.

He died at his North Texas home surrounded by his family, read the Twitter statement.

Though he spoke entirely in growls, snarls, and the occasional roar, Chewbacca’s unwavering loyalty to Han Solo made him one of the most beloved characters in the franchise. Much more than just the hairy co-pilot of the Millennium Falcon, Chewie’s dependability and trustworthiness helped the iconic Wookiee function as the series’ ultimate “wing man.”

He was discovered by producer Charles H. Schneer while working as a hospital attendant in London, and cast in Ray Harryhausen’s “Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.” The next year, he was cast as Chewbacca, the 200-year-old Wookiee.

Mayhew went on to appear in “The Empire Strikes Back,” “Return of the Jedi,” “Revenge of the Sith,” “The Force Awakens” and “The Star Wars Holiday Special.” He was active on the “Star Wars” convention circuit and wrote two books, “Growing Up Giant” and “My Favorite Giant.”

His height was not due to gigantism, but he measured 7 feet 3 inches. George Lucas originally had his eye on bodybuilder David Prowse to play Chewbacca, but Prowse decided to play Darth Vader instead and Lucas went with the even-taller Mayhew.

On TV, he made guest appearances on “Donny & Marie,” “The Muppet Show” and “Glee.” He seldom played roles outside of Chewbacca, except for “Dark Towers,” on which he played the Tall Knight and horror movie “The Terror,” in which he played the Mechanic.

Mayhew was asked by Australia’s BMag why Chewbacca didn’t get a medal at the end of the first “Star Wars” along with Solo and Skywalker. “I think it was one of two reasons,” he said. “One, they didn’t have enough money to buy me a medal. Or two, Carrie couldn’t reach my neck, and it was probably too expensive to build a little step so that I could step down or she could step up and give me the medal.”

He established the Peter Mayhew Foundation to provide funds for those in need, and suported the 501st Legion, Wounded Warriors, Make-a-Wish and other non-profits. Donations may be made to the Peter Mayhew Foundation.

There will be a memorial service for friends and family on June 29, with a memorial for fans in Los Angeles in early December at EmpireCon. He is survived by his wife, Angie, and three children.
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/p...rs-1203203816/

Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 05-02-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    More and more OT actors are passing. I'm glad he got a bit role as Chewie in the sequels and I'm really happy that Abrams and Johnson found roles for him given his ailments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    So given the events of End Game as far as character arcs in the future go (not gonna try and spoil too much by speaking in vagaries) here's what I hope to see from Phase 4 of the MCU

Films that are confirmed (though they could be cancelled)
    Black Widow
    The Eternals
    Doctor Strange 2
    Black Panther 2
    Shang-Chi
    Guardians 3

The hefty rumor and those who watch the spiderman trailer and caught an easter egg in End Game, it looks like Phase 4 will probably start delving in if not make the main plot point the Multi-verse. Strange should touch heavily on it. Guardians should touch heavy on it. Eternals are weird, no clue what they'll do to move that plot forward but I think they'll exist to ramp up the phase 4 threat. The Easter Egg at the end of GotG2 was Adam Warlock. Marvel buying Fox brings a number of things back into the fold. F4, X-Men, but most notably, all their villains too. Which means, Galactus, Apocalypse, Phoenix Force, Kang the Conqueror, and others I'm forgetting.

What I would love for them to do as far as their new properties acquired from Fox.

First and foremost, no Logan. I know this will garner some crap, but I don't think anyone can disassociate Logan from Hugh Jackman. It would be like re-casting Tony Stark or Nick Fury. You can replace them if you choose but you need a new character. Instead go with Laura Kinney/X23. I love the Wolverine comics out there. Laura is a badass. She does so much cool ****. She has issues just like Logan, but handles it very differently. It doesn't work with Fox's timeline, but their timeline is jacked anyway and should be blown up. Second, don't do a stand alone F4 or X-Men film yet. Introduce characters in other films. Storm married Black Panther, she could be rolled into Black Panther 2 as an ally of his. Beast is a great scientist, I think Beast/Hulk are a natural pairing and could feature in a few movies together working on projects. So on so forth. Take your time before doing an X-Men of F4 movie.Make it feel natural with more time focused on building on the characters and the villain, Apocalypse fell so flat in the Fox Universe.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Sopranos prequel movie got moved from HBO to the theatres. October 2020

That’s a big gamble.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    John Wick 3 was amazing. Will see again.
    Forever Fredi

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Doctor Strange is really good and Benedict Cumberbatch is awesome as him. He is one of the most perfect, along with RD as Iron Man.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Dark Phoenix was pretty solid. Definitely better than Apocalypse and First Class. Would recommend to any X-Men fan especially since this is likely the last we see from them for a few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I saw Godzilla blazed as hell, It's a fun bad movie.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Far From Home was fantastic

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Regal announced their unlimited Plan today.

Taking a page out of MoviePass’ book, Regal Cinema’s new movie ticket subscription service is truly unlimited. There will be three pricing tiers, which work out to $18, $21 and $24 a month, respectively, and all offer unlimited tickets. The pricing tiers at the moment seem to dictate what theaters subscribers will have access to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    I read some reviews of the movie Hook back from when it came out. Critics hated it. Kids are the time, however, loved it. Apparently the debate of whether it's a good movie still rages on.

I was a kid when it came out so I loved it and my view on it is colored by nostalgia. So what is everyone's opinion on it? Good movie or a rare miss by Spielberg?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I read some reviews of the movie Hook back from when it came out. Critics hated it. Kids are the time, however, loved it. Apparently the debate of whether it's a good movie still rages on.

I was a kid when it came out so I loved it and my view on it is colored by nostalgia. So what is everyone's opinion on it? Good movie or a rare miss by Spielberg?
    It’s a good movie when you were a kid. When I was a kid I loved Flash Gordon. Now it looks absolutely horrible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts

Hook was fantastic. Anyone that says otherwise can fight me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I may flip out if they screw this up, but I can't wait to see it.

Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Hook is a bad movie, but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Regal unlimited is only $18 a month in South Carolina. That’s pretty good

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I may flip out if they screw this up, but I can't wait to see it.

Cruise is hit or miss these days but I do want to see this.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Finally a big budget WW1 movie

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

Runnin (08-08-2019)