Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
Meanwhile, Rogue One barely got any nominations and it was visually stunning, beautiful sounding, and had great set design.
It also helps that Rogue One just wasn't really that good of a film.

Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
Tell me about it. I know some will be all over me, but I feel the same way about The Artist that some feel about La La Land. Totally different takes on the same genre. The thing with La La Land is that it's almost like an old Esther Williams pic. Splashy, kind of modern Busby Berkeley wound around a pretty simple story.
I actually really, really liked The Artist, but I happen to love that era of cinema as well. I do however think where the The Artist had some critical teeth was in the fact that it wasn't just a send-up of some era, but tackled more specifically a radically transitional period in cinema; and then it used that basis to probe the evergreen human preoccupation with nostalgia, pastoralism, and senses of worlds passing us by. So, for me at least, The Artist did a lot to rise above mere pastiche and homage (though it incorporated plenty of both, obviously).