Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okay, what's your choice?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,967 Posts
    strug33, if Trump didn't mean those things, he's going to have a lot of explaining to do to many who will be voting for him because their interpretation of what he said appears to be a lot different than yours.

The only thing that has disappointed me in the coverage of Trump is that during his career in business, he has been the beneficiary of nearly $1 billion in tax subsidies from various local governments. The New York Times had one very well-researched article on that, but that's all I have heard or seen. I get tired of the tawdry "he said/she said" stuff, especially when there were substantive points that could have been made against him.

I don't know what to expect in the big picture in either of these Presidencies. If Trump wins, the Supreme Court will likely be friendlier to big business and likely more conservative on social issues. Hard to know if anyone Clinton nominates even gets through unless the Senate turns over. If Trump wins and Congress remains Republican, I imagine we're going to see a huge tax cut without any corresponding cuts in government spending, which will cause the the deficit to balloon. I can't see the House turning over, so even if the Senate does and Clinton wins, I see continued gridlock on pretty much everything.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'll be flying over you.

Catching a late afternoon flight to Las Vegas from BOS on the 8th, so by the time I take off from the East coast and land on the West the vote should be about called (God willing). Plan to spend a night or two in Sin City and then get lost in the desert (on a horse with no name) for a few days. The last month of this campaign has about near cost me my sanity. Need a hard reset.

Same here and I have the added stress of who controls the Minnesota Legislature. I don't think I've ever felt this way during an election. Part of that is I'm getting older and realizing that the torch must be passed on at some point, but I see both of these candidates replaying old grievances rather than looking to the future. And that's wearing out my brain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-05-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Whatever happens, I'm glad I'll be at the bottom of the Grand Canyon the first two days and nights of next week. That's a choice about which I have no qualms.
    I'll be flying over you.

Catching a late afternoon flight to Las Vegas from BOS on the 8th, so by the time I take off from the East coast and land on the West the vote should be about called (God willing). Plan to spend a night or two in Sin City and then get lost in the desert (on a horse with no name) for a few days. The last month of this campaign has about near cost me my sanity. Need a hard reset.
    nice

election day doesn't even exist for me this year.

i'm fly to LA in the afternoon monday and take off for New Zealand just before midnight. I land in New Zealand on the 9th of November.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-05-2016), jpx7 (11-05-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Number 3

Ialso live in a state with a highly important vote as well. **** the Dems and Reps
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-05-2016)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

Same here and I have the added stress of who controls the Minnesota Legislature. I don't think I've ever felt this way during an election. Part of that is I'm getting older and realizing that the torch must be passed on at some point, but I see both of these candidates replaying old grievances rather than looking to the future. And that's wearing out my brain.
    What's going on in Minnesota right now? Is it 1998 all over again?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,967 Posts
    What's going on in Minnesota right now? Is it 1998 all over again?
    Hard to say. Hillary is running way behind in the deeper rural parts of the state (including the traditional Democratic stronghold of the Iron Range). Trump is getting trounced in the metropolitan area. I am loathe to predict anything, but if I were to guess the Republicans will flip the 8th congressional district currently held by Rick Nolan and the Democrats will flip the 2nd which has been held by the retiring John Kline. Republican Eric Paulsen has been in the race of his life in the 3rd (where Trump is getting demolished), but will likely hold on.

Unless there is a huge uptick by Trump supporters on election day, I think Hillary will likely win here. Trump will win a lot of counties, but they are by and large the counties that are sparsely populated.

Both the state House and Senate are up for grabs. Dems currently have Senate and Republicans have House. Any combination is possible. Hillary's weakness outstate could sink a few Senate Dems, but Trump's weakness in the suburbs could cause a couple of seats held by Republicans (two of them open) to flip to the Dems. Same scenario in the House.

Nothing else on the ballot of consequence except for a really odd Supreme Court race where a recent appointment of Democratic Governor Dayton is being challenged by a conservative wingnut that the state's Republican party (which is pretty conservative) has disowned.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-06-2016 at 07:17 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-06-2016)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Number 3

Ialso live in a state with a highly important vote as well. **** the Dems and Reps
    I wasn't going to vote, but I'll be doing so this year just so I can say I voted against both of these clowns.

IMO, living in NY, a vote for a 3rd party matters more than a vote for one of the top two. The Dem winning the state is more of a lock than the sun rising, so why not try to help the LP get over 5% nationally? That vote could have more of an impact rather than wasting one on Trump or HRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts
    say they do get 5% funding

Then what ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    say they do get 5% funding

Then what ?
    $10M isn't chump change when you consider Johnson has raised about $11M for the entirety of the campaign. It would allow the next nominee to hit the ground running, gain more early exposure, and hopefully have a better shot at the debates. This is all assuming that one, the candidate takes the money (he/she would be stupid not to), and two, that rules aren't changed between now and then (wouldn't surprise me).

I don't disagree with your assertion that the LP needs to do a better job building from the ground up, but 5% would be a victory, both symbolically and in $$.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts
    $10M is just enough to understand why you need $100M +.

Be interesting to know how much Johnson-Weld have spent this campaign
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.