Thread: Congress 2017-18

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Congress 2017-18

Abby D. Phillip Verified account
    ‏@abbydphillip

Paul Ryan's doomsday scenario if GOP loses the Senate: "A guy named Bernie Sanders" becomes Budget committee chair

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel 30m30 minutes ago

daveweigel Retweeted Abby D. Phillip

Wait until Wisconsin voters find this out about the landslide winner of their Democratic primary.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Beginning to think and it remains to be seen but once away from dog whistles (R) is just not very good at politics.
    Like they don't think through what they are saying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Will the DNC working against sanders behind the scenes keep sanders supporters from voting for Hillary? I doubt it. Why should Ryan's comment hurt him then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    who is the "him" in hurt him ?

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I could see Bernie having a cabinet position potentially.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    who is the "him" in hurt him ?
    Him = Ryan

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    just win it so we can put Obama on the court
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (10-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I don't think it will hurt Ryan. His district is fairly safe.
    and he will never be POTUS

But what I think is, the statement in the tweet would give Sanders voters that might not have been inclined to vote a reason to vote. Not only in Wisconsin but nationally.
    Helping (D) run for Senate majority

curious what deal Sanders made whether a legislative post like Chairman of Budget or if he goes into the Administration at the cabinet level

has to be more meat than planks in platform

curious what deal Warren made !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    just win it so we can put Obama on the court
    Lord help us if she does

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Lord help us if she does
    It's less lol-worthy than putting Bernie in charge of $$, I'll say that

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    It's less lol-worthy than putting Bernie in charge of $$, I'll say that
    It would be such a **** show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Politics aside, nominating Obama to the supreme court would be terrible for everyone. First, I highly doubt Obama would rather do that then living the incredible life of being an ex president. Second, it would hilariously undermine the court to appoint a known partisan politician. I know it's already partisan, but to be so open and brazen about it would not be a good look. Finally, the democratic party would be losing arguably their biggest weapon when it comes to future campaigns.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Lord help us if she does
    It'd be great for the country but Obama has already done his share and more.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Politics aside, nominating Obama to the supreme court would be terrible for everyone. First, I highly doubt Obama would rather do that then living the incredible life of being an ex president. Second, it would hilariously undermine the court to appoint a known partisan politician. I know it's already partisan, but to be so open and brazen about it would not be a good look. Finally, the democratic party would be losing arguably their biggest weapon when it comes to future campaigns.
    If you don't think the court has had more than its share of partisan politicians throughout history, you've been living on a different planet. Former Chief Justice Warren Burger was a Republican political operative in Minnesota (and a dirty one at that) before going on the court. Former Chief Justice Earl Warren was once Governor of California. Scalia hung out with Cheney. Former Chief Justice Roger Taney was in Andrew Jackson's cabinet. William Rehnquist wrote speeches for Barry Goldwater during the 1964 Presidential campaign. William Howard Taft went on the Supreme Court in the early-1920s after being President a decade earlier. I'm not necessarily saying Obama should go on the court (although he has the legal chops to serve well) because he would be a polarizing figure at a time when institutions are already under fire. But if you think that justices get on the court solely on their legal theories and academic work, you're wrong.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (10-15-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    It's already grossly partisan enough without putting another partisan on there. The court has been corrupted for a long time. And the bulk of it is over a decision that was made more than 40 years ago and still has not been overturned.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If you don't think the court has had more than its share of partisan politicians throughout history, you've been living on a different planet. Former Chief Justice Warren Burger was a Republican political operative in Minnesota (and a dirty one at that) before going on the court. Former Chief Justice Earl Warren was once Governor of California. Scalia hung out with Cheney. Former Chief Justice Roger Taney was in Andrew Jackson's cabinet. William Rehnquist wrote speeches for Barry Goldwater during the 1964 Presidential campaign. William Howard Taft went on the Supreme Court in the early-1920s after being President a decade earlier. I'm not necessarily saying Obama should go on the court (although he has the legal chops to serve well) because he would be a polarizing figure at a time when institutions are already under fire. But if you think that justices get on the court solely on their legal theories and academic work, you're wrong.
    Ah, but you need to remember my definition of "Activist Judge" from when I teach American Government. I always tell me students the best definition of an activist judge is "a judge who disagrees with me and what I think the Constitution says". ;)

As for the current president, I really don't want him in SCOTUS either, but when I think about how much it would piss off Mitch McConnell I say "go for it". That sorry tub of Diarrhea absolutely deserves that sort of (metaphorical) 2 x 4 up side of his head IMO. Rafael Cruz too. Shut the government down again bitches, just because you didn't get your way. Tell me again how "we need to let the American people speak" about the next Justice bitches. Oh and maybe you can tell us again how you believe the President should seek the counsel of Congress (ie his betters) if he was on the Supreme Court.

Yeah, I know punishing the whole nation isn't a good thing just because you want to punish a handful of "right wing bought and paid for douche bags" but it's a pleasant thought. And how could he be more useless than Clarence Thomas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I stated in the post you quoted that I know it's already partisan. My point was only that it would the most brazen partisan pick ever. Everyone knows Obama and knows his politics. It would be much less brazen to name Loretta Lynch for example. In fact I think you made the same argument I was trying to make in your next to last sentence.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Clinton nominating Obama might be the one thing that would make all these Republicans trying to flee Trump wish they had stuck with him. I don't like the idea, but I guess it would be hilarious. Don't really give a crap in the end.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Clinton nominating Obama might be the one thing that would make all these Republicans trying to flee Trump wish they had stuck with him. I don't like the idea, but I guess it would be hilarious. Don't really give a crap in the end.
    I would say the most hilarious part (in a really sick way) is that it really doesn't matter what we think, in the end. They (both sides) are bought and paid for and could care less what we think about anything, except in election years and when they're calling, trying to raise money. We truly have a good system of government that's FULL of really sorry (with an occasional exception here and there) POSs everywhere you look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I would actually love it if Clinton nominated Obama. She's going to pick a leftist either way, so might as well get the best present day campaigner off the campaign trail for good.
    thank you weso1!