Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Debate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

3rd Debate

The First Question at Tonight’s Debate Should Be: Will You Accept the Results of the Election?
    Chris Wallace should test Trump’s bogus claims right away.
    By John NicholsTwitter

The third and final presidential debate of the 2016 campaign should begin with a simple question for Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton: Will you accept the results of the election in which both of you are currently competing?

The candidates should be allowed to answer at length. And they should be prodded to reflect seriously on what they believe to be the basic requirements of a fair election. The Commission on Presidential Debates and moderator Chris Wallace need not fret about the prospect that a discussion of the legitimacy of this election, and future elections, might dominate the final debate. What could be more illustrative, more instructive, more valuable than an extended discussion of democracy itself?

The beginning point for the discussion must, necessarily, be with Trump.

“Right now, we’re not aware of any systemic problems in our voting system.” —Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted

The Republican nominee for president has aggressively advanced a discredited claim that the November election will be “rigged.” If he sticks to this argument in the debate, he should be:

1. Encouraged to define the word “rigged.” Is he claiming, as seems to be the case, that there is a looming threat of massive illegal voting? If so, then he should be required to provide credible evidence of his claim.

2. Confronted with the academic research that has called into question talk of a “rigged election,” especially claims regarding illegal voting. As an example, Trump could be pressed to discuss the long-term research by election-law expert Justin Levitt, a Loyola Law School professor who has determined that just 31 credible incidents of alleged voter impersonation occurred in the “general, primary, special, and municipal elections from 2000 through 2014…[in which] more than 1 billion ballots were cast.”

3. Asked to reconcile his “rigged election” talk with statements from Republican secretaries of state who have explained that this is not a legitimate fear.

If Trump embraces the classic definition of a “rigged election,” in which the machinery of popular democracy (machines, ballots, counting processes, tabulation of totals, and the reconciliation of the numbers) is manipulated to favor a candidate, then he should be asked to explain precisely where the threat is playing out. Is he concerned about particular states? Trump claims “the election is being rigged…at many polling places.” Has he contacted state and local election officials to alert them regarding his concerns? Has he provided those officials with evidence that he has not to this point provided to the media or to his own supporters?

LIKE THIS? GET MORE OF OUR BEST REPORTING AND ANALYSIS

Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, a Republican who plans to vote for Trump, says: “If there is a systemic problem, please identify it. Don’t just make an allegation on Twitter. Tell me. Tell the secretaries of state around the country what the problem is so we can fix it. Right now, we’re not aware of any systemic problems in our voting system.” Is Trump aware of Husted’s comments? Has he spoken with Husted?

And here are a few more questions: Does Donald Trump worry that making the “rigged election” charge such a major focus of his campaign might lead any of his supporters to engage in voter intimidation on Election Day? Does he worry that any of his supporters might resort to violence if he is defeated? Is he aware that officials are worrying about how to assure that voters feel safe at their polling places and that offices of local election boards are secure? What will Trump say to his supporters to assure that this will be a fair and orderly election, and that the counting of votes will proceed without interruption?

But this is not just about Trump. Debates are not interviews. Moderator Chris Wallace has to address pointed questions to both candidates. And there are plenty of questions for Hillary Clinton.

Clinton can argue that restrictive voting laws represent an attempt to rig the election in favor of the GOP.

If Clinton says she is confident in the system, she should be asked why. Does she think it is perfect? Or does she recognize flaws and vulnerabilities? Clinton should be reminded that Democrats have, for many years, raised concerns about the actions of election administrators (remember Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris) and nefarious practices (remember the controversies over voter caging and other unfair practices that have been used the removal of eligible voters from voter rolls). And she should be reminded that the Democratic party of onetime Chicago mayor Richard J. Daley and the old big-city machines has itself faced accusations of wrongdoing.

Clinton can express confidence that the current election is not being rigged (and justify that confidence with references to statements from election officials who are members of Trump’s own party), while at the same time acknowledging the steps that can and should be taken to improve our election processes.

A serious discussion of voting and elections can have nuance. It can have depth. And it can frame the debate more honestly than has Trump.

Clinton has every right to assert that restrictive voting laws enacted by Republican legislatures in states across the country represent an attempt to rig the election in favor of the GOP. She can also talk about the need to renew and extend the Voting Rights Act, about best practices in the United States (such as Oregon’s universal-voter-registration law) and about next steps (like establishing a constitutionally defined right to vote and enacting national standards to address uneven and unequal rules for voting and counting votes).

What if the whole of the final presidential debate was given over not only to an examination of Trump’s bogus claims but to a serious discussion of how to make real the promise of American democracy? Well, then this would be the most worthwhile debate of 2016.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Well let's be honest:

Trump sees any election that he doesn't win as being rigged because how could anyone not vote for him AND
    Hilldog sees any election that isn't rigged as, "What? Did I miss one"?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

Hawk (10-19-2016)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Madonna said last night that she'll give a blowjob to anyone who votes for Hillary.

As if my mind wasn't already made up.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Madonna said last night that she'll give a blowjob to anyone who votes for Hillary.

As if my mind wasn't already made up.
    so you're going to vote Trump then, right?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    that ****ing orange ****boy invited Obamas half brother to this debate

it makes zero sense why to do that, it's worse than his usual trolling but whatever

his half brother doesn't think Israel should exist and supports hamas
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Who's his half brother? Just curious

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I don't like it because it reminds me of birtherism.

But, at the end of the day, he's a vocal Trump supporter (and has had pretty negative things to say about BO). This is Trump's quiet way of saying, 'Look, even Obama's half-brother likes me (and he's black)!'

A troll for sure though.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I honestly have my doubts that anyone really likes either of these turkeys, including their friends and family.

As for the Madonna comment, am I the only one who's a terrible enough person to wonder how many of those BJs she promised in exchange for Hilldog votes are actually "repeat customers"?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I know poor old Madge was just trying to help, but I can't think of any association between Hillary and blowjobs which is a positive one.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I know poor old Madge was just trying to help, but I can't think of any association between Hillary and blowjobs which is a positive one.
    Good call!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts

Still want to deny rigging elections? Hillary couldnt even win the democratic primary.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (10-19-2016)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    So, Ivanka Trump went on CNN and talked about Trump's sex comments two hours ago.

A few minutes later, BuzzFeed's CEO tweets that he heard Ivanka Trump talk about never having seen "mulatto cocks" 8-10 years ago and it's now the number 1 trending story on BuzzFeed.

This is our country folks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    that ****ing orange ****boy invited Obamas half brother to this debate

it makes zero sense why to do that, it's worse than his usual trolling but whatever

his half brother doesn't think Israel should exist and supports hamas
    I tend to agree with those who think that Trump knows he's going to lose and this debate will be pure red meat for his base. A base that he hopes to solidify and bring with him to Trump TV.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think this debate will be pure mud and I wouldn't be shock at anything that happens. Trump might bring up all the deaths surrounding the Clintons. Might bring up Bill's supposed illegitimate son. Might bring up that National Enquirer story Drudge posted last night.

I will find it highly entertaining.
    thank you weso1!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I think this debate will be pure mud and I wouldn't be shock at anything that happens. Trump might bring up all the deaths surrounding the Clintons. Might bring up Bill's supposed illegitimate son. Might bring up that National Enquirer story Drudge posted last night.

I will find it highly entertaining.
    My guess: The illegitimate son, Obama's brother, and the Enquirer stuff is red meat pre-debate hype. I think it would be beyond foolish if he brings them up during the actual event. I believe he'll go after her relentlessly on the e-mails, tout the hell out of his new anti-corruption policies, and double-down on this notion of the election being rigged.

I think Hillary will continue with the line that Trump is basically crazy - but I wouldn't be surprised to see her try and punch back hard in some way, shape, or form. Her campaign has been SILENT for the past 5 days.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Hillary just doesn't counterpunch very well.

Trump won the debate last time because she simply had no answer for his taunting, insults, and accusations.

This is last hoorah, I hope he throws the kitchen sink at her.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Well there's a black guy at a press conference claiming to be Bill Clinton's son so there's that. They look pretty similar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Hillary should mostly ignore Trump's attacks though I'm sure she's ready with a list of his greatest hits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Well, so far it's been boring. Nothing but issues.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    My guess: The illegitimate son, Obama's brother, and the Enquirer stuff is red meat pre-debate hype. I think it would be beyond foolish if he brings them up during the actual event. I believe he'll go after her relentlessly on the e-mails, tout the hell out of his new anti-corruption policies, and double-down on this notion of the election being rigged.
    That's based on the assumption that Trump is still trying to win.
    thank you weso1!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-20-2016), Julio3000 (10-19-2016)