Thread: Tigers possibly pushing to trade Upton

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Can we buy low on heyward now?
    Any Cub who is on the team that wins the series will have a special Touched by God surcharge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Pass on Upton. Is there that much difference between the expected productions of Kemp and Upton? And Kemp is quite a bit cheaper with fewER years.
    To me its close to a wash in terms of trade value. That's why I suggested it. I think we'd come out slightly ahead, but not much.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Any Cub who is on the team that wins the series will have a special Touched by God surcharge.
    They aren't playing him. I know what you're saying. If they lose they'll want a scape goat.
    I'm not a huge heyward guy and the contract is large. But he's someone that might be had in a salary dump and still has upside.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    They aren't playing him. I know what you're saying. If they lose they'll want a scape goat.
    I'm not a huge heyward guy and the contract is large. But he's someone that might be had in a salary dump and still has upside.
    They're playing him most of the time, they just didn't against Kershaw. He'll play against the Indians starters since they throw right-handed.

Assuming Chicago would eat some of the salary, I agree it'd be smart to buy low on him since there's a decent chance he rebounds next year, but he has a full no-trade clause and I doubt he wants to return to Atlanta.
    Last edited by Ampere; 10-23-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    No way in hell would I touch Heywards contract. I'm not gonna pay on what could be one day when it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    No way in hell would I touch Heywards contract. I'm not gonna pay on what could be one day when it hasn't happened yet.
    Yeah, no way. But, I do look into trading for JUP. Someone mentioned it earlier, but I'd be all about a large-scale trade for Upton and Verlander.

Inciarte CF
    Swanson SS
    Freeman 1B
    JUP LF
    Kemp RF
    Flowers/McCann/Ramos? Whoever C
    Ruiz/Garcia 3B
    Verlander RHP
    Albies 2B

Verlander, Teheran, Folty, Wisler, Newcomb.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd be down for something like that depending on the money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Upton's BB rate is dropping while his K rate is climbing. That has meant that his BA and OBP are dropping while his pop remains about the same. No thanks. I don't want any part of that, especially since his defense is now consistently mediocre to bad.

I'd much rather just run Mallex out there.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Trading for Upton would be a lose lose situation. He has a good year and opts out of his contract or he sucks and you're stuck with him.

The only positive would be getting a pick, but I think opt outs and compensatory picks are going to be altered in the new CBA.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    No to Upton. Too many ice-cold streaks in his game. And they get longer every season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Verlander makes some sense as a trade target, but he just put up a 6+ WAR season. His "terrible" seasons were 1 and 2 WAR, and he is still a 200+ inning workhorse. He will not come cheap in terms of prospects, so I seriously doubt the Braves part with the talent required to acquire him.

JUp makes zero sense as a trade target to anyone who has been paying attention to the Braves over the last 3 years.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-24-2016 at 01:34 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-24-2016), JohnAdcox (10-24-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Upton's BB rate is dropping while his K rate is climbing. That has meant that his BA and OBP are dropping while his pop remains about the same. No thanks. I don't want any part of that, especially since his defense is now consistently mediocre to bad.

I'd much rather just run Mallex out there.
    Not to mention that we're committed to Kemp for a shorter period in the event J-Up chooses NOT to opt out - then we'd get the inevitable bad years at the end.

Also, depending on the development of Ruiz, Peterson, Demeritte, Riley, Maitan, and several others we're potentially going to have several other 3B/corner OF options knocking on the door before Kemp's deal is even up - they can't all play 3B, and I'm pretty sure 1B, 2B, and SS are spoken for for the foreseeable future. If they do target a 3B "answer" (that's not in the system) this winter or next, there could be quite a few options to replace Kemp for less than $20 million per.

The real wildcard in all this (to me) is Maitan. If he's really as good as advertised and rockets through the system like some of the recent international signings (Moncada, etc.), he's probably got plenty of arm to step in for Markakis when his deal ends - assuming 3B is being handled capably. If he becomes our version of Betts or Moncada, that leaves a lot of guys battling for ABs at 3B and LF within a couple years.

(For those slobbering all over themselves waiting in the weeds to pounce - yes those are big IFs, but they're also possibilities. Since Callis already has him potentially becoming a Top 10 prospect by the end of next season, there's really no reason he can't be at least discussed in future plans.)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Can we buy low on heyward now?
    Why?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Chico (10-24-2016), Knucksie (10-24-2016)

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    the only reason a team should have to trade for Verlander is if he is the missing piece to compete for a championship next year. Sorry to tell you the Braves are not there yet. I still do not see this team as a real threat till 2019 at the earliest. After that the rest of the NL better watch out.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to depley For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (10-24-2016)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    No to Upton. Too many ice-cold streaks in his game. And they get longer every season.
    Yeah, his 2 hot months are usually staggered too.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    the only reason a team should have to trade for Verlander is if he is the missing piece to compete for a championship next year. Sorry to tell you the Braves are not there yet. I still do not see this team as a real threat till 2019 at the earliest. After that the rest of the NL better watch out.
    I agree. But, pretending to compete hurts your ability to maximize talent acquisition for when you really should be able to compete. I'm OK with competing in 2017 if it happens organically without diminishing a maximum effort to bring in young talent, but I don't think that's what we'll see. I think we will see some "play pretend" moves for the masses and some moves not done that should be also for the masses so the illusion of competitive baseball can be presented.

Will that have a long term negative effect? It's hard to say because you can't see the future. After all, what good is an early draft pick if the player chosen is a flop? What good is a 1 for 3 talent trade if the net value of the three never develops to be better than the net value of the 1?

But, I point to Chicago. The Cubs had been building in a reloading fashion under Hendry, essentially win the Division, be horrible for 2-3 years, win the Division, be horrible...never getting close to the big prize. So they brought in Epstein in late 2011 to rebuild and build for the long term. The Cubs finished 5th in their Division in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 then jumped to 3rd in 2015 and finished 1st and are on the edge of a WS Championship in 2016. AND, they are positioned to be good for a while. And it hasn't been by them simply spending their way there. They have made some good use of their cash adding Lester, Lackey and bringing back Hammel but have also made some dumb moves by splurging on Heyward.

The real core of their team came from some shrewd trades, excellent drafting (especially at the premium picks) and some hole filling FA signings. And it wasn't done overnight, was not a reload in any way. They took the team to the metal and built it back up over the span of about 5 years.

Too look at some of their moves:
    Montero: before 2015 season in trade for Jeferson Mejia and Zach Goldy who have never been heard from again.
    Rizzo: from SD for Kyung Min Na???, and Andrew Cashner
    Zobrist, Fowler, Heyward: Added as FA entering 2016 because the core was in place and these FA were considered what was needed to finish the team.
    Russell: came with McKinney and Straily for Hammel andSamardzija (they then re-signed Hammel).
    Bryant: 1st Rd, 2nd pick, 2013
    Baez: 1/9/2011
    Schwarber: 1/4/2014
    Almora: 1/6/2012
    Soler: Int FA signing from Cuba 2012
    Contreras: Int FA 2009
    Ross: FA 2015
    Lester: FA 2015
    Hendricks: FA 2015
    Arrieta: came with Strop in 2013 from Baltimore for Clevenger and Feldman
    Lackey: FA 2016
    Rondon: 2013 Rule 5 from Cleveland
    Chapman: 2016 in season trade with Yanks

It took them a while, but they were patient and are now positioned well to be good for several more years

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-24-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I agree. But, pretending to compete hurts your ability to maximize talent acquisition for when you really should be able to compete. I'm OK with competing in 2017 if it happens organically without diminishing a maximum effort to bring in young talent, but I don't think that's what we'll see. I think we will see some "play pretend" moves for the masses and some moves not done that should be also for the masses so the illusion of competitive baseball can be presented.

Will that have a long term negative effect? It's hard to say because you can't see the future. After all, what good is an early draft pick if the player chosen is a flop? What good is a 1 for 3 talent trade if the net value of the three never develops to be better than the net value of the 1?

But, I point to Chicago. The Cubs had been building in a reloading fashion under Hendry, essentially win the Division, be horrible for 2-3 years, win the Division, be horrible...never getting close to the big prize. So they brought in Epstein in late 2011 to rebuild and build for the long term. The Cubs finished 5th in their Division in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 then jumped to 3rd in 2015 and finished 1st and are on the edge of a WS Championship in 2016. AND, they are positioned to be good for a while. And it hasn't been by them simply spending their way there. They have made some good use of their cash adding Lester, Lackey and bringing back Hammel but have also made some dumb moves by splurging on Heyward.

The real core of their team came from some shrewd trades, excellent drafting (especially at the premium picks) and some hole filling FA signings. And it wasn't done overnight, was not a reload in any way. They took the team to the metal and built it back up over the span of about 5 years.

Too look at some of their moves:
    Montero: before 2015 season in trade for Jeferson Mejia and Zach Goldy who have never been heard from again. (Third-string Catcher who thought he'd be left off the postseason roster.)
    Rizzo: from SD for Kyung Min Na???, and Andrew Cashner (Big-time win - even though Cubs fans hated it at the time.)
    Zobrist, Fowler, Heyward: Added as FA entering 2016 because the core was in place and these FA were considered what was needed to finish the team. (The $184 Million Man is a platoon player at best. Has such a long way to go to prove his contract is as good as Markakis'. No one here wanted to go that long or high for Zobrist. Fowler was pure luck because of QO rules - should've at least cost them at least $7.8 million more.)
    Russell: came with McKinney and Straily for Hammel andSamardzija (they then re-signed Hammel). (Still not nearly as good as Swanson, Inciarte, and Blair for Miller.)
    Bryant: 1st Rd, 2nd pick, 2013 (Hursh: 1st Rd, 31st pick - WREN)
    Baez: 1/9/2011 (Gilmartin 1st Rd, 28th pick - WREN)
    Schwarber: 1/4/2014 (Davidson 1st Rd, 32nd pick - WREN)
    Almora: 1/6/2012 (Sims 1st RD, 21st pick - jury's still out.)
    Soler: Int FA signing from Cuba 2012 (1.1 WAR for $30 million thus far.)
    Contreras: Int FA 2009 (Big-time winner.)
    Ross: FA 2015 (Similar to Pierzynski signing - brought in to be a bit player. Certainly liked better than A. J., but not for production.)
    Lester: FA 2015 (Most people here didn't want him.)
    Hendricks: FA 2015
    Arrieta: came with Strop in 2013 from Baltimore for Clevenger and Feldman
    Lackey: FA 2016
    Rondon: 2013 Rule 5 from Cleveland
    Chapman: 2016 in season trade with Yanks (A "rental" that cost them a Top 25 prospect on some lists - this board would absolutely melt down if the Braves' brass made that sort of trade. People here are still sore about Wainright for Drew - not that that's not understandable, but still.)

It took them a while, but they were patient and are now positioned well to be good for several more years

They've made some really good moves, but everyone's a little generous when they proclaim Theo and Jed as "miracle workers", and most act like they've made no mistakes. The only point I'm making is that to get to where they are today, Cubs' fans had to put up with losing 464 games between 2010 and 2014 - ~93 per season. Lots of people who are still Braves fans are already teetering as it is - as fickle as the Atlanta fanbase has typically been, I'm afraid a five year stretch like that would send attendance levels back to where they were in the 80s. It's far easier to be patient when it's been so long since you've been relevant - fans are much more willing to buy into "give us five more years to turn this thing around".
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-24-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    They've made some really good moves, but everyone's a little generous when they proclaim Theo and Jed as "miracle workers", and most act like they've made no mistakes. The only point I'm making is that to get to where they are today, Cubs' fans had to put up with losing 464 games between 2010 and 2014 - ~93 per season. Lots of people who are still Braves fans are already teetering as it is - as fickle as the Atlanta fanbase has typically been, I'm afraid a five year stretch like that would send attendance levels back to where they were in the 80s. It's far easier to be patient when it's been so long since you've been relevant - fans are much more willing to buy into "give us five more years to turn this thing around".
    I don't get where your bolded response means anything in regards to what the Cubs did. It seems you are confused that I am saying that the Braves should have done what the Cubs did, when they did it. but that's not the case at all. My point was that the Cubs chose a path and stuck with it and did fairly well and after 5 years they are in the WS AND look poised to be back several more times. Have they made mistakes? Sure. To me, the biggest was the Heyward signing which appear to be a matter of luxury purchase - hey, we have the money, let's get Heyward, bring his value to RF and screw the Cards while we are at it. They would have been much better with Soler in RF all year on a cost per performance basis. But, that one bad move didn't send them back to the drawing board. They built a team that was talented AND deep because they didn't cut corners to get where they wanted to go. Even as a ML club and having shipped out some talent for what they considered the final piece in making them a WS contender in Chapman, they still have a relatively strong farm and have young talent all over the field at the ML level that will be under control for several years.

OTOH, Arizona tried to short circuit their rebuild and it failed miserably and now they are back at the drawing board. They went big for their ACE (probably OK) and traded for another arm with young talent that they REALLY couldn't afford to give up.

As for the Braves and their fans, I think it's more about the businesses and the funders of the new stadium being appeased. If the Braves get off to a slow start next year, attendance will fall. But the novelty of the new stadium will be it's own draw for a while. What will really be a disaster is if three years into the new stadium the Braves suddenly find themselves struggling for .500 with a projected future of another rebuild. That's the risk you take when you try to cut corners on a rebuild.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-24-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I don't get where your bolded response means anything in regards to what the Cubs did. It seems you are confused that I am saying that the Braves should have done what the Cubs did, when they did it. but that's not the case at all. My point was that the Cubs chose a path and stuck with it and did fairly well and after 5 years they are in the WS AND look poised to be back several more times. Have they made mistakes? Sure. To me, the biggest was the Heyward signing which appear to be a matter of luxury purchase - hey, we have the money, let's get Heyward, bring his value to RF and screw the Cards while we are at it. They would have been much better with Soler in RF all year on a cost per performance basis. But, that one bad move didn't send them back to the drawing board. They built a team that was talented AND deep because they didn't cut corners to get where they wanted to go. Even as a ML club and having shipped out some talent for what they considered the final piece in making them a WS contender in Chapman, they still have a relatively strong farm and have young talent all over the field at the ML level that will be under control for several years.

OTOH, Arizona tried to short circuit their rebuild and it failed miserably and now they are back at the drawing board. They went big for their ACE (probably OK) and traded for another arm with young talent that they REALLY couldn't afford to give up.

As for the Braves and their fans, I think it's more about the businesses and the funders of the new stadium being appeased. If the Braves get off to a slow start next year, attendance will fall. But the novelty of the new stadium will be it's own draw for a while. What will really be a disaster is if three years into the new stadium the Braves suddenly find themselves struggling for .500 with a projected future of another rebuild. That's the risk you take when you try to cut corners on a rebuild.

Not confused at all, and I'm not disagreeing with your point in the least - mainly just trying to point out the fact that EVERY rebuild/retool/whatever someone wants to call it is always entirely different and that you're right (IMO) about needing the commitment and discipline to stick with it "no matter what".

You'll never get an argument from me about Heyward being a luxury, I've been beating that drum since the day he was traded. He just happened to be one the Braves couldn't afford (and one the Cards chose not to). It still amazes me how many people around here want to spin that into being a "Heyward Hater" (depending on who makes that point). My only point about him has been that that's a *elluva lot of money to pay someone that doesn't bring a whole lot more to the table than other fourth OFs. Is he better on defense than a lot of those guys? Sure. But $150 million better?

The main point I was making about the picks was the philosophy at the time - I don't condemn Wren for his philosophy UNLESS he was told that the salary "cap" he was given was set in stone and non-negotiable. He did a great job of building a "contender" when he was here (and you could make the argument that neither the Uggla nor the Melvin signings were worse than the Cubs' Heyward signing). The thing is, if he was told that the money wasn't there to keep that contender in place beyond their contracts at the time, his draft strategy really was awful - even though the team never got high picks. They should've been looking for high-upside "replacements" rather than looking for players who might be bit players within a couple seasons.

JMO, but we're pretty much saying the same thing about Arizona's chasing an "Ace" - that's something the vast majority of teams have to do when they get their chance (no matter where their rebuild schedule stands). If you have the chance to go get a Lester/Greinke/whomever, you pretty much have to get them when circumstances allow. If the Braves could have landed Lester when he wasn't going to cost them a pick, they should have done everything they could to get him since those chances just don't come along very often. Just as you mention, the really bad move was giving up all that talent to land a #2 (and a not very proven one at that) - if adding Greinke while taking him away from the Dodgers wasn't going to get them past L. A., they probably weren't going to get past them anyway.

The differences in what we're saying (to me, anyway) are pretty minor. As a Cubs' fan, I'd have no problem with giving up Torres to get Chapman. Thing is, many folks around here go nuts when you talk about giving up high-level prospects to get that big piece (Teixeira deal, every time anyone's mentioned wanting to finally go get an "Ace" or big bat, etc.). I just think it's interesting to see people call that a "great move" when it hasn't paid off yet. If they happen to lose to Cleveland, there will be Cubs fans coming out of the woodwork to scream that they sure would have been better off if they'd kept Torres to use in a trade to replace Arrieta if he walks.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I think we agree on just about everything.

I would say that what the Cubs did was wait on major FA signings (and expensive trades like Chapman) until there was no doubt that they were contenders. They knew they had the building blocks in place with young talent at the ML level in most places, and had ANOTHER wave very close in the minors, before they brought the checkbook out. When they brought out the checkbook, they did it with a vengeance. But, Epstein didn't come in late 2011 and immediately start throwing money around. He didn't in 2012 or 2013 either. It was before the 2015 season when they started spending the cash.