Thread: Report: Yoenis Cespedes expected to opt out...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Report: Yoenis Cespedes expected to opt out...

Report: Yoenis Cespedes expected to opt out of Mets contract

The World Series is still in full swing, but it’s never too early to start thinking about free agency. The first big offseason news dropped Wednesday, as it appears New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes will opt out of his contract and become a free-agent, according to Jon Heyman of Today’s Knuckleball.

Cespedes has reportedly made his decision, but his management team will not announce the move until three days after the World Series, according to Adam Rubin of ESPN. That’s the deadline for Cespedes to opt out of his deal.

The decision to leave early doesn’t necessarily come as a surprise. Cespedes’ three-year, $75 million deal with the Mets included an opt-out clause after just one year, and many speculated he would only remain with the Mets for just one year.

It was somewhat of a shock when New York found a way to re-sign him last offseason. Cespedes was expected to receive a mega-contract on the market, but chose to return to the Mets after leading the team to the World Series. It was assumed part of the reason they were able to get a deal done was due to the early opt out.

The move made sense for Cespedes. By taking that contract, he could remain with the club for one more shot at a championship, but still hit free agency with a chance to receive a huge deal. Cespedes made $27.5 million with New York in 2016. He’s leaving $47.5 million on the table by opting out of his deal.

He shouldn’t have any problem making all of that back. The 31-year-old outfielder turned in yet another excellent offensive season in which he hit .280/.354/.530, with 31 home runs. He’ll be one of the most coveted players to hit the free-agent market.

According to Rubin, Mets officials expect Cespedes to seek a five-year deal this winter. They are not optimistic about re-signing him this time around.

The team has known this was a possibility for quite some time, which is why they went out and acquired Jay Bruce from the Cincinnati Reds at the trade deadline. New York is expected to pick up Bruce’s $13 million option for 2017, according to Rubin.

While the move hurts the Mets, it won’t be a total loss. The team can, and likely will, extend a one-year, $17.2 million qualifying offer to Cespedes once he officially opts out. Cespedes will almost certainly decline that offer, meaning the Mets will receive a draft pick as compensation should he sign with another team.

They can also re-sign him, of course, though that seems unlikely. That’s precisely what everyone was saying at this time last year, though, so maybe there’s a chance the team can pull off another miracle move in the offseason

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...051811840.html
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Yeah, I'm interested. Probably on a 3-year deal. A 5-year deal is just absurb for him -- no way in heck I'd do it unless there is a catch.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I am in camp NO this year as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-28-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    not for 5 years especially if it doesnt have an opt out clause in it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-28-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Freeman/Kemp/Cespedes middle of the order would be pretty formidable

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    Freeman/Kemp/Cespedes middle of the order would be pretty formidable
    Cespy/freeman/kemp would be scary. But cespy in right would be scary too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-29-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Cespy/freeman/kemp would be scary. But cespy in right would be scary too.
    He's a good OF. He didn't work out in CF, but he'd be an upgrade over Neck in RF.

I mainly don't want him out of fear of how long his deal will be and his age.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-29-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    He's a good OF. He didn't work out in CF, but he'd be an upgrade over Neck in RF.

oh, I agree. he will get 26+ in this weak FA class. Not sure I would want him for more than 4 years. But to have Freeman batting between Cespedes and Kemp would be a scary good offense.. especially with Ender and Swanson batting 1/2.. Still, I am more in the NO camp because of cost.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post

Somebody's gonna overpay. It won't be us, but they better figure on writing down the last two years of that deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I'd be interested to see if we pulled on a deal like that. I think he'd be the one to turn it down since we aren't a sure-fire winning team. But you're right, that lineup would be so damn good. Add a Ramos in there, and we're insanely deep.

Inciarte CF
    Swanson SS
    Freeman 1B
    Cespedes LF/RF
    Kemp LF/RF
    Ramos C
    Garcia/Ruiz 3B
    Teheran RHP
    Albies 2B

Add another good pitcher and we're almost instant contenders IMO.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-29-2016)