Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    If it's the right deal, of course I pull the trigger. But I think most of us are on the same page.

I personally prefer to wait until next year, keep our pieces, develop our players and move only if the package is completely fine.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Sale would be a great addition. Obviously you fret about the cost to acquire, but, damn, Sale + another offensive piece would drastically change this team's chances in 2017 and beyond.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    These are the main points - to me - that would keep me from pulling the trigger.

I'm pretty high on Mallex compared to some, but he's a substantial downgrade from Inciarte. No, Albies isn't here "yet", but Jace is a considerable downgrade from him as well. Your point about the anticipation and expectations for guys like Wisler and Blair and the fact that they fell short should (again JMO) make the brass even more hesitant to go "all-in" just yet.

Again, I'm far from unwilling to part with serious talent. If something like Newcomb/Wisler or Blair/Mallex/Demeritte or Riley gets it done, I wouldn't bat an eye. I'm just not willing to back the truck up for for 3 years of Chris Sale when we don't have "sure things" that will produce at 2B, 3B, and behind the plate. If that package isn't enough for Sale, tell them they can have it for Quintana or offer a little different version of it to Tampa Bay for Archer.

I'm just not sold enough on Sale with all his question marks - size, durability, and makeup after his blow up last summer - to mortgage the future for him when we still have as many question marks as we do.
    Good synopsis of your thinking. I just LOVE great starting pitching- and while I understand the thinking that says you develop your ace, there's no guarantee any of these great young arms reaches the level of Sale.

So when this kind of opportunity comes around, I have to give it every consideration. I am more confident in Mallex than most, but would get heartburn over Albies, since I do agree that cuts into our everyday competitiveness, probably too much. I do give up multiple high ceiling pitching prospects as well, as long as I hang on to the ones I secretly think are the pick of the litter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    What if we also took on Shields' contract?
    Last edited by UNCBlue012; 11-15-2016 at 11:21 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    What if we also took on Sheilds' contract?
    Still no interest - even if it lowers the prospect cost (which it won't in this case). They're not trading their best piece for anything less than a prospect haul, and I certainly don't blame them. The B. J./Melvin - Kimbrel deal really doesn't apply. We HAD to get rid of Upton, and Kimbrel wasn't going to net anything near what Sale will. You don't attach a bad contract to someone like Sale - that completely hamstrings your rebuilding effort because you've effectively lowered the level of talent you can possibly get back. Someone will eventually cave and give Chicago exactly what they want for Sale - other teams are close enough that he literally could be their final piece - JMO, but I have to agree with those who think we aren't there just yet.

Look at it this way - even if Folty takes a step forward and your top 3 THIS YEAR are Sale, Julio, and the best we've seen of Folty, you still have to replace Big Sexy and Dickey for the final two seasons you control Sale. Are Wisler and Blair going to be good enough if you trade away Newcomb and Sims? Will a Ruiz/Garcia platoon produce in the event Kemp/Markakis/Swanson/Freeman take even a slight step back? Even if you were able to hang onto Allard or Touki, Soroka, and the arms drafted this summer, it's asking a lot to have them ready before late 2019, and that's the very end of your control over Sale.

Besides, taking on Shields' money would put us even further away from contending now. That's money you couldn't spend on a Catcher or 3B.

What I'm leaving out is a potential extension for Sale, but I can't imagine there's much of a chance for one even though he's "local" and his agent is B. B. Abbott.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-15-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Unless Frazier were part of the package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Why are people throwing around names as if they are sitting next to Coppy? No one knows it it's Albies or Inciarte...just let the thing play out...all rumors up to this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This assessment by gondeee seems about right to me. Would probably take a package like: Albies, Acuna, Allard, Newcomb. Now is not the right time to consider a package like that, IMO. It doesn't hurt to negotiate though and see if a significantly lower offer wins the bidding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    This assessment by gondeee seems about right to me. Would probably take a package like: Albies, Acuna, Allard, Newcomb. Now is not the right time to consider a package like that, IMO. It doesn't hurt to negotiate though and see if a significantly lower offer wins the bidding.

Agreed if that is even close to the package.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts

Agreed, but let's continue to discuss Sale trades for a package of Jenkins, Mallex, Ellis and Dustin Peterson. All it should take is 4 "for real" prospects!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed, but let's continue to discuss Sale trades for a package of Jenkins, Mallex, Ellis and Dustin Peterson. All it should take is 4 "for real" prospects!!
    Has anyone discussed that collection of players?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (11-15-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Has anyone discussed that collection of players?
    Nope, but I'm an original thinker and I'm contributing to the unrealistic trade scenarios for Sale.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    452 Posts
    Turner Field for Sale. Straight up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-15-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    We probably won't get Sale since he is the prize jewel of the offseason and will cost too much, but it shows we're shopping around for a front of the rotation starter to team with Julio and Folty. I keep hearing how we cannot trade prospects as it will hurt our farm system, but I don't think we're just going to stop acquiring prospects. Odds are we're going to flip Colon and Dickey come July. We're also going to have a top 5 pick and a top 5 pick in 2nd round. I can also see where we could acquire or trade for a compensatory pick when they're announced in January. We're not going to just stop acquiring prospects. They want to keep the pipeline strong and flowing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

I thought the point of drafting all of this pitching was either to develop it or flip it for hitting. Now we're talking about moving the few of the bats we have in our system for more pitching. Personally, I think Sale would be a great fit, but the cost it would take to get him could seriously come back to haunt us.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I thought the point of drafting all of this pitching was either to develop it or flip it for hitting. Now we're talking about moving the few of the bats we have in our system for more pitching. Personally, I think Sale would be a great fit, but the cost it would take to get him could seriously come back to haunt us.
    It's also for 3 years. We may not even be ready to contend for two of those. Archer would be a more ideal fit for the future.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Bravehog (11-15-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's also for 3 years. We may not even be ready to contend for two of those. Archer would be a more ideal fit for the future.
    I do agree with your Archer point. I'm guessing the Rays understand that, too.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Sale couldn't crack this rotation. Too many studs like Dickey and Bartolo.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-15-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Sale couldn't crack this rotation. Too many studs like Dickey and Bartolo.
    Careful, son. Bartolo could eat you for lunch.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Is this Gondeee a reliable source of information?