Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    So many teams want a CFer this offseason. I've seen The A's, Blue Jays,Astros, and Cardninals all tied to Inciarte in some way or another. The Mets and Giants both need a CFer as well. The only guy on the market is Fowler. Those who miss out could really start a bidding frenzy over Inciarte.

I'd really hate to lose him, but he seems like the asset most likely to be overpaid for.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    So many teams want a CFer this offseason. I've seen The A's, Blue Jays,Astros, and Cardninals all tied to Inciarte in some way or another. The Mets and Giants both need a CFer as well. The only guy on the market is Fowler. Those who miss out could really start a bidding frenzy over Inciarte.

I'd really hate to lose him, but he seems like the asset most likely to be overpaid for.
    I would think the Braves would avoid any trade that wasn't a clear overpay. I sure hope so. I'm not sure his second half wasn't more indicative of who he is than the first half. It's not like he's 31.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Kris Medlen and Edinson Volquez are now free agents; wonder what their asking price is these days?

Bud Black named by Rockies.

Dodgers trade Ruiz to Mariners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Kris Medlen and Edinson Volquez are now free agents; wonder what their asking price is these days?

Bud Black named by Rockies.

Dodgers trade Ruiz to Mariners.
    I'd take a flier on Medlen, depending on the price. Always worked well with the Bravos.

I'm still on the Hammel/Santana train though.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

If they are desperate would Mallex be an option? Obviously not going to get the huge return you would ask for Inciarte. But maybe we can get something we can use more than Mallex.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If it's the Astros then Bregman would have to be in play for me. Inciarte is a stud and the type of sparkplug we need at the top of our own lineup. It would have to be an overpay.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If it's the Astros then Bregman would have to be in play for me. Inciarte is a stud and the type of sparkplug we need at the top of our own lineup. It would have to be an overpay.
    I think if it's astros you go full on block buster and go Inciarte plus tehran for Bregman and and prospects.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    If the astros want Teharan and Inciarte they better empty the farm.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    10 players were offered QOs, and can be effectively crossed off the list of potential targets for the Braves:

Mark Trumbo, Orioles
    Jeremy Hellickson, Phillies
    Yoenis Cespedes, Mets
    Neil Walker, Mets
    Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays
    Jose Bautista, Blue Jays
    Ian Desmond, Rangers
    Dexter Fowler, Cubs
    Kenley Jansen, Dodgers
    Justin Turner, Dodgers

Guys of note that weren't offered a QO are Weiters, Ramos, Valbuena, Fister and Volquez. While I desperately hope the Braves don't try to sign either of the catchers, Volquez makes some sense on a short term deal, and they could make worse acquisitions than Fister. Valbuena makes for an interesting option at 3B if he comes at a bargain, though I'm not convinced he is much of an upgrade over a Ruiz/Garcia platoon.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-07-2016 at 05:23 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    FWIW, FG has posted current win projections for all teams before any FAs are signed.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...tions-already/

The Braves project for 70 wins as the roster currently stands. I can see them easily adding ~5 wins by signing someone like Castro and acquiring 2 MOR starters, but adding 10+ wins to get to .500 is likely unrealistic given the facts that they won't be signing any impact FAs or converting the required prospect capital into MLB talent via trades.

I think this further confirms my prediction that the Braves will win 75-80 games next year.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    not a big fan of this FA class.

Couple good names but no real blue chip type of players.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    MLBTR just released their predictions for the top 50 FAs:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...edictions.html

They have the Braves signing:

Hammell for 3/42
    Wieters for 3/39
    Dickey for 1/8

They also predict:

Castro to the ChiSox for 2/15
    Volquez to the Phils for 1/8

At those prices I would much rather see the Braves sign Castro and Volquez rather than Wieters and Dickey. I would even add an option year for Castro to get his elite framing skills and LHed bat paired with Flowers.

Hammell makes some sense, but I have a hard time seeing the Braves handing out a 3 year deal to a pitcher after Coppy literally just told DOB they don't want any long term deals to block their young pitchers. According to the invterview, that means 1-2 year deals for any pitchers signed this offseason.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-07-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Bowman continues to say braves have no interest in Weiters. I tend to trust him more than DOB and others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Bowman continues to say braves have no interest in Weiters. I tend to trust him more than DOB and others.
    Other beat writers seem to say the opposite. I wonder what's up?

I prefer to go Ramos if we are going to indeed spend some money. But my guess is he goes to an AL team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I really hope you're right, and I think you are.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    If we get Weiters for 3 years sub 40 mill, I wouldn't be that upset. I don't think 3 years is too big of a commitment and he would be an upgrade over Flowers. At least a slight upgrade. I wouldn't mind a 2 year (higher AV) with a vesting option for #3 at lower price. Gives tradability/releasability at the end or make it a straight club option. So say 3/39 like suggested.. but instead do 2/32 and 3rd year at 7..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If we get Weiters for 3 years sub 40 mill, I wouldn't be that upset. I don't think 3 years is too big of a commitment and he would be an upgrade over Flowers. At least a slight upgrade. I wouldn't mind a 2 year (higher AV) with a vesting option for #3 at lower price. Gives tradability/releasability at the end or make it a straight club option. So say 3/39 like suggested.. but instead do 2/32 and 3rd year at 7..
    Wieters is terrible at every facet of the game. Folks act like he is some offensive force at catcher, but his OPS last year was .711 and his career OPS is .739. He hasn't been a 2 WAR player since 2012. He is one of the worst pitch framers in the game, which isn't even factored into his low WAR totals. Last year alone he was worth -7 framing runs, which is almost another lost win just from his poor receiving skills.

If the Braves pay $13M per year for that level of production I will have lost all faith in their ability to construct a contending MLB roster. All the data exists to make a competent decision, and giving Wieters that kind of money would prove they are either not capable to finding that data, or they are incapable of making sound decisions based upon that data.

Castro is lesser offensively, but is more than playable (for a catcher) vs RHers with a career .750 OPS against them. He is also consistently an elite pitch framer, and was as +12 runs last year. That is literally 20 runs better than Wieters, which is 2 wins just from framing. He will cost half as much as Wieters.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-08-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    mlbtraderumors predict the Braves to sign Jason Hammels, Matt Wieters, and RA Dickey (in their top 50 list).

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Wieters is terrible at every facet of the game. Folks act like he is some offensive force at catcher, but his OPS last year was .711 and his career OPS is .739. He hasn't been a 2 WAR player since 2012. He is one of the worst pitch framers in the game, which isn't even factored into his low WAR totals. Last year alone he was worth -7 framing runs, which is almost another lost win just from his poor receiving skills.

If the Braves pay $13M per year for that level of production I will have lost all faith in their ability to construct a contending MLB roster. All the data exists to make a competent decision, and giving Wieters that kind of money would prove they are either not capable to finding that data, or they are incapable of making sound decisions based upon that data.

Castro is lesser offensively, but is more than playable (for a catcher) vs RHers with a career .750 OPS against them. He is also consistently an elite pitch framer, and was as +12 runs last year. That is literally 20 runs better than Wieters, which is 2 wins just from framing. He will cost half as much as Wieters.
    If they don't find a viable trade option I believe they will sign Castro. All this Weiters stuff just seems to be speculation based on need and resources available.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    If they don't find a viable trade option I believe they will sign Castro. All this Weiters stuff just seems to be speculation based on need and resources available.
    I hope so. Never been on the Weiters bandwagon. Just could except if he is signed for 3 or fewer... I see no long term solutions in the near future, so this will be a topic for next off season too.