Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Eh, I agree that there is a pretty big disparity between Moncada and Swanson, regardless of where they rank. And some may like Kopech over Newcomb. I think it would have taken at least Albies to make up the difference there. I think something like Swanson/Albies/Acuna/Allard would be comparable to Moncada/Kopech...then they gave up a little more.
    I think two top 10ish prospects plus whatever Acuna ends up is way more valuable than Moncada.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Well... Swanson is a huge prospect... but he's not anywhere near valuable as Moncada considering he's the number 1 prospect in the game. Yes we COULD have I guess.... but it would have made us insanely worse :)
    Do you finally see why everyone with half a brain said the Braves would not acquire Sale?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think two top 10ish prospects plus whatever Acuna ends up is way more valuable than Moncada.
    Maybe, maybe not. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Moncada is unquestionably the biggest piece of the 4, the question is just how much bigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Do you finally see why everyone with half a brain said the Braves would not acquire Sale?
    I guess all of our front office only had half a brain since they were trying to acquire him for months. You were even starting to throw out scenarios when there was some heavy smoke and you know it... don't even act like you didn't entertain the possibility for at least one day. The fact of the matter is that plenty of experts thought we were in on Sale and there were reports we even tried to make a last minute push. Don't be a douche.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I guess all of our front office only had half a brain since they were trying to acquire him for months. You were even starting to throw out scenarios when there was some heavy smoke and you know it... don't even act like you didn't entertain the possibility for at least one day. The fact of the matter is that plenty of experts thought we were in on Sale and there were reports we even tried to make a last minute push. Don't be a douche.
    Again, as usual, you are wrong. As usual, you can't even comprehend the discussion you were taking part in.

I threw out packages that at least had the potential of being good enough for Sale in response to the ludicrously small packages proposed by fools like you and clv. Your other fellow-idiot even made a moronic "blog post" about one of those stupidly low packages he claimed could get Sale. I then immediately (in the next paragraph), explained that giving up a package like that would result in the Braves being marginally better in 2017, and substantially worse in 2018 and beyond.

At no point did I ever waiver from my assertion that Sale had zero chance to become a Brave. You were wrong from the start, and there was never any doubt about it. You are desperately clinging to the idea the Braves will still trade for an Ace, and you are still wrong. You are wrong because you don't know **** about baseball or player valuation.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Maybe, maybe not. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Moncada is unquestionably the biggest piece of the 4, the question is just how much bigger.
    I guess it depends on what your team needs. Swanson/Albies/Acuna could solve the middle of your diamond for the next half decade plus.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-06-2016), cajunrevenge (12-06-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    wonder if other contenders will respond now. The Stros are close and the gNats might need to make a move now. But the Cubs and Soxs are clear 2nd favorites right behind the Braves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I guess it depends on what your team needs. Swanson/Albies/Acuna could solve the middle of your diamond for the next half decade plus.
    Yep. And Moncada could be the big bat in the middle of the order you need. And those are not easy to find.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Yep. And Moncada could be the big bat in the middle of the order you need. And those are not easy to find.
    I think the ChiSox chose the right deal. Moncada is the 5+ WAR position prospect, and those simply can't be acquired without spending $200M on the FA market and buying several decline years. Guys like Swanson, Albies and Acuna are nice 3+ WAR players, but those can be acquired pretty much every year...even in this horrible FA class.

Moncada is at the level of Seager and Bregman, and the ChiSox did well to get him. He is the kind of guy that anchors an entire rebuild, and is somethingthe Braves failed to get during theirs (Maitan may turn into that though).

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I think the ChiSox chose the right deal. Moncada is the 5+ WAR position prospect, and those simply can't be acquired without spending $200M on the FA market and buying several decline years. Guys like Swanson, Albies and Acuna are nice 3+ WAR players, but those can be acquired pretty much every year...even in this horrible FA class.

Moncada is at the level of Seager and Bregman, and the ChiSox did well to get him. He is the kind of guy that anchors an entire rebuild, and is somethingthe Braves failed to get during theirs (Maitan may turn into that though).
    No one was trading a Moncada level player/prospect to the Braves of what we have dealt so i dont get your post.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    No one was trading a Moncada level player/prospect to the Braves of what we have dealt so i dont get your post.
    I'm not surprised at all that you don't understand the point of my post. Hint: the point had nothing to do with the side remark I made about the Braves.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Well... Swanson is a huge prospect... but he's not anywhere near valuable as Moncada considering he's the number 1 prospect in the game. Yes we COULD have I guess.... but it would have made us insanely worse :)
    Right. I think we were right to be in the discussions. After all, there's no guarantee the Sox were going to get somebody's number one. We weren't doing Swanson, Washington wasn't doing Turner...so it was possible that ours would be the most attractive two-horse package.

At the point Boston offered Moncada, it was over. That's the advantage of money. They bought him, then they sold him a year later. They didn't develop ****, unless you include paying for his steroids.

Doesn't mean we couldn't talk our way into a different deal, but when teams are willing to deal a guy like that, you aren't going to win. I'm not sure it makes Boston better. Didn't they just trade the scrub they were playing at third?

Edit: as I wrote that, they announced signed Moreland, which must mean Ramirez goes back to third.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Probably Moreland to 1B, Hanley to DH, and Sandovol to 3B.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Probably Moreland to 1B, Hanley to DH, and Sandovol to 3B.
    Mmm. Forgot about him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Again, as usual, you are wrong. As usual, you can't even comprehend the discussion you were taking part in.

I threw out packages that at least had the potential of being good enough for Sale in response to the ludicrously small packages proposed by fools like you and clv. Your other fellow-idiot even made a moronic "blog post" about one of those stupidly low packages he claimed could get Sale. I then immediately (in the next paragraph), explained that giving up a package like that would result in the Braves being marginally better in 2017, and substantially worse in 2018 and beyond.

At no point did I ever waiver from my assertion that Sale had zero chance to become a Brave. You were wrong from the start, and there was never any doubt about it. You are desperately clinging to the idea the Braves will still trade for an Ace, and you are still wrong. You are wrong because you don't know **** about baseball or player valuation.
    I hope you feel better now. King of the basement!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Red Sox must have been desperate after their first round embarrassment this year. Price continues to be a playoff bust and they needed someone else to be their game 1 starter. What upsets me is that they really just bought Moncada for a lot of money. What they paid him and the penalty they paid. I think it was around 60 million. Then they turn around and use him as the main piece to trade for one of the best players in the game. Thats bull**** imo.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This is not a match I was considering given the price. Seems like a long shot, but would take away a suitor for Castillo.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I hope you feel better now. King of the basement!
    Basement? We already went over how wrong that silly attempt at taking a shot at me is dum dum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Maybe Soler?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Maybe Soler?

I think Soler+... his value has dropped IMO. but I did read somewhere that KC really like Soler