Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Rumor I saw was 4/64 for Turner. I'd pay that with the draft pick loss if I'm the Braves. That said he knows the Dodgers and the Dodgers are better. Even with the cost of living issues I assume we'd have to pay more and do 5/75.
    He's from LA and didnt want to leave, i doubt he'd leave to a team who isnt a contender yet like the Braves unless it was a huge overpay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Castillo may still be an option for the Braves. I assume the "industry source" is his agency, though that could mean this is just posturing.

A few days after free-agent catcher Welington Castillo emerged as the Orioles’ primary offseason target to replace Matt Wieters, it now appears that the club’s chances of securing Castillo’s services are waning.

Castillo has multi-year offers from multiple teams, and it is now “more likely” that he’ll sign somewhere besides Baltimore, according to an industry source.

The Orioles and Castillo’s representatives talked multiple times this month, including after the winter meetings ended Thursday, and a multi-year deal was discussed for the 29-year-old backstop. But those negotiations apparently haven’t progressed.
    http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/201...ne-besides-os/

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    He's from LA and didnt want to leave, i doubt he'd leave to a team who isnt a contender yet like the Braves unless it was a huge overpay.
    Still shouldn't just let the Dodgers HAVE him IMO. What's the harm in offering him 4/$70 million if you're not sold that anyone in our system's the "answer" until and if Maitan's moved to 3B and is ready?

Would make for a nice trade chip if Riley actually can stick and you'd like to pick up prospects from whoever misses out on Machado in a couple years.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-12-2016 at 09:56 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I didn't want any part of Turner. First full season in the majors at 32. Has had microfracture surgery on his knee. Not the kind of risk I want to throw money at.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I was headlining the "sign Turner" tour in early May when he was under performing. Thought we could possibly get a deal on a quality player, may be a 3 or 4 year deal at <50 million . Then he took off and his value skyrocketed. No way I'd approach 4 years or more at 70+ million. Way too much to risk on a 32 year old player.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-13-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I didn't want any part of Turner. First full season in the majors at 32. Has had microfracture surgery on his knee. Not the kind of risk I want to throw money at.
    It's not your money so who cares?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Because I don't want another Melvin situation where we trade a really good player for half price to get rid of Turners contract.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Castillo may still be an option for the Braves. I assume the "industry source" is his agency, though that could mean this is just posturing.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/201...ne-besides-os/
    I've been wondering of Chance Sisco becomes available if they sign Castillo or re-sign Weiters.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    It's not your money so who cares?
    This is always the most illogical argument I see fans make. Fans don't care because they're worried about ownership being fiscally irresponsible. They care because they know there is a limited pot; therefore, they want the money to be spent as well and as efficiently as possible to put the best team on the field.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I've been wondering of Chance Sisco becomes available if they sign Castillo or re-sign Weiters.
    Not likely. Dan Duquette was on the Winter Meetings kickoff show on XM (the Sunday everyone was getting there), and pretty much everything he said pointed to Sisco being their long-term guy.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not likely. Dan Duquette was on the Winter Meetings kickoff show on XM (the Sunday everyone was getting there), and pretty much everything he said pointed to Sisco being their long-term guy.
    Possibly, but I don't believe anything a GM says to the media in the offseason. It's more posturing than anything else. IMO

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting thought...

If the Marlins are still dead-set on trying to build a dominant pen since they don't have much for a group of SPs, I might just offer them Vizcaino for Brian Anderson and their Competitive Balance Round A pick (#31).

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Interesting thought...

If the Marlins are still dead-set on trying to build a dominant pen since they don't have much for a group of SPs, I might just offer them Vizcaino for Brian Anderson and their Competitive Balance Round A pick (#31).
    If I were Coppy, I'd definitely be trying to work something out with the Marlins, because none of the other teams with a Round A pick seem likely to bite.

The only other thing that could maybe work is dealing some IFA pool money to a team that wants to make a big splash.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    If I were Coppy, I'd definitely be trying to work something out with the Marlins, because none of the other teams with a Round A pick seem likely to bite.

The only other thing that could maybe work is dealing some IFA pool money to a team that wants to make a big splash.
    Maybe deal IFA money for a competitive round draft pick? They would probably have to give IFA money at about a 2:1 ratio for any US draft slot they acquired.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    With babe Ruth possibly being posted next year. I wonder if trading for more IFA money would be more lucrative. How is that going to work anyway. Usually a team has to pay the Japanese team 20 mill if they sign him. Would that money count against the hard cap. Or basically nuke that cap. If not then I could see a small market team wanting to trade up to the entire 75%. They already have more dollars and would be able to offer the biggest contract to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Maybe deal IFA money for a competitive round draft pick? They would probably have to give IFA money at about a 2:1 ratio for any US draft slot they acquired.
    I'd be cool with that, honestly. Continue to sign some lower level guys through the remainder of this signing period then deal whatever IFA money you can next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    With babe Ruth possibly being posted next year. I wonder if trading for more IFA money would be more lucrative. How is that going to work anyway. Usually a team has to pay the Japanese team 20 mill if they sign him. Would that money count against the hard cap. Or basically nuke that cap. If not then I could see a small market team wanting to trade up to the entire 75%. They already have more dollars and would be able to offer the biggest contract to him.
    The buzz around baseball is that Otani will be exempt from the new IFA rules through a loophole.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    The buzz around baseball is that Otani will be exempt from the new IFA rules through a loophole.
    I thought I read that there was no exception for him. Made it interesting because they also raised the minimum age so he would have to wait until 25. Maybe I am mid remembering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    From today's MLB.com Inbox series . . .Bowman may report to Spring Training in the best shape of his life!

Maybe it had something to do with the fact I had just finished a half-marathon and had mom's Thanksgiving feast staring at me when I got the news, but I'll admit I was not initially enamored with the Braves signing Rodriguez to a two-year, $12.5 million deal.
    http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...ean-rodriguez/

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    From today's MLB.com Inbox series . . .Bowman may report to Spring Training in the best shape of his life!

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...ean-rodriguez/
    Half-marathon Thanksgiving dinner. The other half-marathon will be Christmas dinner.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

gamecock4braves (12-13-2016), zedsdead (12-13-2016)