Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1345

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Maybe deal IFA money for a competitive round draft pick? They would probably have to give IFA money at about a 2:1 ratio for any US draft slot they acquired.
    The Marlins would be a good bet on both. They're trying to win and they're not in the penalty box for IFA. Also at #14 they're not going to have a large bonus pool to spread around like top teams who want to spread the wealth. They'd be a good trade partner for that #36 pick.

The Brewers may also be a team who could go big on the international front. With the #9 overall they may be going best payer available and not value that pick as much to get two 2st round talents.

The other teams I don't see as much, unless they've been scouting heavy and ready to go big internationally. If I had top 5 money though, I'd spread it over 3 picks like we did last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Are we sure that international penalties carry over? With the new hard cap, are any teams that went over the last two years still penalized in the same way they were, or is everyone subject to just the $5 million hard cap going forward?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Are we sure that international penalties carry over? With the new hard cap, are any teams that went over the last two years still penalized in the same way they were, or is everyone subject to just the $5 million hard cap going forward?
    Yeah, the penalties carried over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts
    The Yankees penalty ends after this year so there was no incentive for mlb to stop the penalty from carrying over into the new system.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Castillo signs w Orioles. Think the Bravos will make a bid for Wieters.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Castillo signs w Orioles. Think the Bravos will make a bid for Wieters.
    Ewww
    Forever Fredi

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Ewww
    You know, Wieters isn't especially good at anything. I can't see any reason to pay him 10+ million to do anything, much less multi years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    You know, Wieters isn't especially good at anything. I can't see any reason to pay him 10+ million to do anything, much less multi years.
    10+ million would be a bad deal. But I doubt anyone is going to pay him that. Castillo just signed for $6M. I think that's about what Wieters will end up getting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    10+ million would be a bad deal. But I doubt anyone is going to pay him that. Castillo just signed for $6M. I think that's about what Wieters will end up getting.
    Wieters at Castillo money is fine because they are essentially the same player. I would be fine giving him something like 2/15 or 3/20 with him transitioning to a backup role when Flowers leaves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Wieters at Castillo money is fine because they are essentially the same player. I would be fine giving him something like 2/15 or 3/20 with him transitioning to a backup role when Flowers leaves.
    I think those are reasonable deals for Wieters. He will probably be one of the last to sign. But I think we are well-positioned to play the waiting game with Boras.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    As long as the contract is in the same ballpark as Castillo, I'd be fine with pursuing Wieters. Boras is in a box at this point, so there's a chance it could happen. I could also see Wieters holding out until March / April when a desperate team is facing an injury situation.

I have a lot of respect for guys like Recker, but I think the Braves are fooling themselves if they buy into him as a guy worthy of 300 PAs on a contending MLB team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Another thing to keep in mind on the Catcher front . . . the Braves have made no secret that they're trying to acquire a Catcher at the AA / AAA level this Winter. If they're able to make an acquisition like this that's on the higher end of the spectrum, they may be more willing to roll with a Flowers / Recker / Tuffy depth chart for the first half of 2017.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Chico (12-15-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I'm surprised how slow the trades have been this offseason. Other than the two Whitesox trades and the Mariners trade it's been dead.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/w...senthal-121416
    Rosenthals latest. Says braves and Rays have been talking most of the offseason and then subtly ****s on our prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind on the Catcher front . . . the Braves have made no secret that they're trying to acquire a Catcher at the AA / AAA level this Winter. If they're able to make an acquisition like this that's on the higher end of the spectrum, they may be more willing to roll with a Flowers / Recker / Tuffy depth chart for the first half of 2017.
    I've been trying to figure out who that minor league catcher might be. Teams almost always trade prospects for MLB guys (even Jenkins is an MLB guy compared to Jackson), and I don't see a whole lot of valuable pieces on the MLB roster the Braves could demand a ~50 FV catcher as the return unless its Inciarte. Maybe a BP piece like Viz could command a nearly ready catching prospect, but I doubt he could bring back one that's starting caliber.

So which contenders are set at the catcher position at the MLB level, have a ~50 FV catcher in the upper level of the minors, and could use a CFer and/or BP arms?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Rosenthals latest. Says braves and Rays have been talking most of the offseason and then subtly ****s on our prospects.
    I think Rosenthal is right on the mark. Outside of Albies and Swanson, we don't have any high profile prospects who don't have something to prove. A lot of works-in-progress who, like Rosenthal says, everyone will have a better idea about after the 2017 season.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Not sure he dumps on the Braves' prospects - he's just stating what many people (including posters here) have said - there's no doubt that the bigger names we've stockpiled have really high ceilings, most just prefer to reserve judgement until they've faced a little stiffer competition. The current regime has always placed more weight on what our scouts say than what others say - and that's pretty much true for just about every organization. Otherwise they'd be looking for other scouts.

That's what happens when you put more emphasis on high school kids who aren't as far along in their development. I remember literally TONS of people questioning Madison Bumgarner and Greg Holland (local guys who I know personally) when they were drafted because the prevailing sentiment was that they only looked good because the level of competition they faced here in the podunk back woods of rural NC made them look better. Sure, those people have had to eat crow on those two guys, but they'd have been right in saying the same thing about the overwhelming majority of players in this area.

To quote the great Sidney Deane - "Even the sun shines on a dog's *ss some days."
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure he dumps on the Braves' prospects - he's just stating what many people (including posters here) have said - there's no doubt that the bigger names we've stockpiled have really high ceilings, most just prefer to reserve judgement until they've faced a little stiffer competition. The current regime has always placed more weight on what our scouts say than what others say - and that's pretty much true for just about every organization. Otherwise they'd be looking for other scouts.
    Pretty much this. It's hard to sell folks on prospects headlining deals when they haven't reached and performed really well at AA or above. Albies has, but his ceiling isn't really going to blow clubs away as a headliner of a deal.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I've been trying to figure out who that minor league catcher might be. Teams almost always trade prospects for MLB guys (even Jenkins is an MLB guy compared to Jackson), and I don't see a whole lot of valuable pieces on the MLB roster the Braves could demand a ~50 FV catcher as the return unless its Inciarte. Maybe a BP piece like Viz could command a nearly ready catching prospect, but I doubt he could bring back one that's starting caliber.

So which contenders are set at the catcher position at the MLB level, have a ~50 FV catcher in the upper level of the minors, and could use a CFer and/or BP arms?
    Maybe Colorado. Looks like they may play Murphy, so Dom Nunez? Should start at AA. Murphy is the guy, but unless the Rocks sign a FA catcher like Weiters, then Murphy is probably beyond reach.

I also still would like to see the Braves make a play for Tyler Stephenson (Reds reportedly want big league bullpen help and drafted Okey) and/or Max Pentecost or McGuire (Jays have Martin through 2020 and have BP need as well).

Might see if the Reds want Cabrera for Stephenson and/or Jays want Viz for Pentecost.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    How is pentacost's shoulder. Wasn't that the concern with him. I also not sure we should sell low on viz just yet. He will never reach elite closer status. But he can rebuild his value he had before his June collapse and second half injuries.