User Tag List

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1252606162
Results 1,221 to 1,235 of 1235

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

  1. #1221
    Expects Huge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,920
    Thanks
    591
    Thanked 3,843 Times in 2,318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    See above.
    Yes. See above indeed. Looking above I see some posts about the need for teams to learn from the failure of the White Sox. My point (perhaps made in a slightly smug way) has to do with the difficulty of identifying "bad chemistry" or "bad mix" before it kills your team. It seems to me it is easy ex post to say such and such a team had chemistry issues. "Bad mix" becomes the explanation for all things that happened that could not be explained by other variables. The question I am interested in raising is whether in analyzing the failures of teams like the White Sox it is possible to identify ex ante which teams are learning something from those failures and which teams are not.

    I hope the above clarifies things and makes clear how my post fitted in with the conversation that was happening.

    If I really wanted to be condescending I would say something to the effect that I was looking forward to your analysis of which teams had a "bad mix" in 2017 after the end of the season. But I resisted that temptation. Until now.

    In a similar vein, anyone have a list of players they expect to be clutch this upcoming season?
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-15-2017 at 09:01 AM.

  2. #1222
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    3,571
    Thanks
    2,139
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    21
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yes. See above indeed. Looking above I see some posts about the need for teams to learn from the failure of the White Sox. My point (perhaps made in a slightly smug way) has to do with the difficulty of identifying "bad chemistry" or "bad mix" before it kills your team. It seems to me it is easy ex post to say such and such a team had chemistry issues. "Bad mix" becomes the explanation for all things that happened that could not be explained by other variables. The question I am interested in raising is whether in analyzing the failures of teams like the White Sox it is possible to identify ex ante which teams are learning something from those failures and which teams are not.

    I hope the above clarifies things and makes clear how my post fitted in with the conversation that was happening.

    If I really wanted to be condescending I would say something to the effect that I was looking forward to your analysis of which teams had a "bad mix" in 2017 after the end of the season. But I resisted that temptation. Until now.

    In a similar vein, anyone have a list of players they expect to be clutch this upcoming season?

    Freeman and Swanson. (Kemp from time to time, but probably not as clutch as the first two.)
    Editor/Columnist
    When Sid Slid
    https://whensidslidcronies.wordpress.com/


    @clvclvWSS on Twitter


    "Braves rebuild is going pretty damn well." - Kiley McDaniel

  3. #1223
    Expects Huge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,920
    Thanks
    591
    Thanked 3,843 Times in 2,318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Freeman and Swanson. (Kemp from time to time, but probably not as clutch as the first two.)
    Fredito has historically hit well with RISP. Last season was a bit of an exception. I predict Ender will be our most clutch player (which I define by the difference in BA with RISP and overall BA). He will be so clutch that there will be a clamor to move him out of leadoff to a spot where he can drive in more runs. At some point Snitker will succumb to the clamor. At which point Ender will stop being clutch. And a new group of posters will emerge saying the pressures of hitting lower in the lineup were too much for Ender.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-15-2017 at 09:54 AM.

  4. #1224
    NL Rookie of the Year zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    2,620
    Thanks
    170
    Thanked 597 Times in 386 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Fredito has historically hit well with RISP. Last season was a bit of an exception. I predict Ender will be our most clutch player (which I define by the difference in BA with RISP and overall BA). He will be so clutch that there will be a clamor to move him out of leadoff to a spot where he can drive in more runs. At some point Snitker will succumb to the clamor. At which point Ender will stop being clutch. And a new group of posters will emerge saying the pressures of hitting lower in the lineup were too much for Ender.
    I expect Tuffy to be extra clutch.

  5. #1225
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    3,571
    Thanks
    2,139
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    21
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Fredito has historically hit well with RISP. Last season was a bit of an exception. I predict Ender will be our most clutch player (which I define by the difference in BA with RISP and overall BA). He will be so clutch that there will be a clamor to move him out of leadoff to a spot where he can drive in more runs. At some point Snitker will succumb to the clamor. At which point Ender will stop being clutch. And a new group of posters will emerge saying the pressures of hitting lower in the lineup were too much for Ender.
    JMO, but I can't personally see any point that Ender's moved from the leadoff spot until/unless he's being replaced there with Albies. Also just a personal (non-numbers based) opinion, but I'd prefer Albies as the guy hitting lower in the order even then since I'd rather have the flexibility of having the switch-hitter lower in the order.
    Editor/Columnist
    When Sid Slid
    https://whensidslidcronies.wordpress.com/


    @clvclvWSS on Twitter


    "Braves rebuild is going pretty damn well." - Kiley McDaniel

  6. #1226
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,090
    Thanks
    993
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 671 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yes. See above indeed. Looking above I see some posts about the need for teams to learn from the failure of the White Sox. My point (perhaps made in a slightly smug way) has to do with the difficulty of identifying "bad chemistry" or "bad mix" before it kills your team. It seems to me it is easy ex post to say such and such a team had chemistry issues. "Bad mix" becomes the explanation for all things that happened that could not be explained by other variables. The question I am interested in raising is whether in analyzing the failures of teams like the White Sox it is possible to identify ex ante which teams are learning something from those failures and which teams are not.

    I hope the above clarifies things and makes clear how my post fitted in with the conversation that was happening.

    If I really wanted to be condescending I would say something to the effect that I was looking forward to your analysis of which teams had a "bad mix" in 2017 after the end of the season. But I resisted that temptation. Until now.

    In a similar vein, anyone have a list of players they expect to be clutch this upcoming season?
    That will depend entirely on who is putting in the work now, getting that one extra rep, who's first in the gym in the morning, who's playing for a contract, and who really "wants it" this year.

    Since Freddie is a new dad and all we see on him are his wife's tweets of him with his kid asleep on his chest, I think we can safely assume some regression to the clutchness mean from Freddie.

    Dansby was born clutch. I think we might not appreciate how clutch he is if he starts his career being clutch and retains a high level of clutchness throughout.

    Also, I think we can expect Adonis to report in the Best Shape Of His Life, so he'll probably experience a clutchness spike.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 01-16-2017 at 08:02 AM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (01-18-2017)

  8. #1227
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,090
    Thanks
    993
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 671 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    JMO, but I can't personally see any point that Ender's moved from the leadoff spot until/unless he's being replaced there with Albies. Also just a personal (non-numbers based) opinion, but I'd prefer Albies as the guy hitting lower in the order even then since I'd rather have the flexibility of having the switch-hitter lower in the order.
    I think you're right. Inciarte has an extremely low exit velocity and high ground ball percentage, but I think after three years of consistent success and improving plate discipline it's safe to say he owns it and can hit .300/.360. I know we don't run much, but I like that guy hitting leadoff.

    The slide step is a nefarious plot to shred elbows and shoulders while eliminating the running game. It should be outlawed.

  9. #1228
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,492
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 895 Times in 582 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I think you're right. Inciarte has an extremely low exit velocity and high ground ball percentage, but I think after three years of consistent success and improving plate discipline it's safe to say he owns it and can hit .300/.360. I know we don't run much, but I like that guy hitting leadoff.

    The slide step is a nefarious plot to shred elbows and shoulders while eliminating the running game. It should be outlawed.

    interesting take on the elbow/shoulder vs. slide step. You think slide step makes the pitcher max more than normal wind up.

  10. #1229
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    6,500
    Thanks
    231
    Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    That will depend entirely on who is putting in the work now, getting that one extra rep, who's first in the gym in the morning, who's playing for a contract, and who really "wants it" this year.

    Since Freddie is a new dad and all we see on him are his wife's tweets of him with his kid asleep on his chest, I think we can safely assume some regression to the clutchness mean from Freddie.

    Dansby was born clutch. I think we might not appreciate how clutch he is if he starts his career being clutch and retains a high level of clutchness throughout.

    Also, I think we can expect Adonis to report in the Best Shape Of His Life, so he'll probably experience a clutchness spike.
    He has the Jeter gene.

  11. #1230
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,090
    Thanks
    993
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 671 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    interesting take on the elbow/shoulder vs. slide step. You think slide step makes the pitcher max more than normal wind up.
    I do. Almost by definition, since you're eliminating any wasted motion and any triggering mechanism that helps your timing.

    To the extent you do those things, it gives the arm a bit more time to fully rotate and get in max leverage position. If you're "clean" enough to eliminate .1-.2 seconds, it's a rare pitcher who doesn't have an equal amount of arm lag. So you're pulling it through with the little muscles rather than leaving the load where it belongs - on the tushie.

    That is also why I teach a full windup when possible. Too many youth pitchers (all pitchers) get hurt. I also advocate throwing at 85-90% effort, so the springs and wires don't start popping off.

    I know Leo Mazzone is considered old school, but Leo was right about a lot of stuff. One of them was max effort. And now Jim Andrews has written a position paper that points to year-round pitching and especially max effort as his top indicators of which pitcher is going to need Tommy John.

  12. #1231
    NL Rookie of the Year dak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,271
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 600 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been curious about the market for Michael Saunders this offseason, as I see it as a bit of a test case on Markakis' value. Both are LHH corner OFs who produce in the 1-2 WAR zone. Markakis gets there in a steady but unspectacular manner, while Saunders is more inconsistent and has more injury issues. I think I prefer having Markakis, but it's close.

    Given the terms below for Saunders as he enters his age 30 season, I'm thinking we'd be hard-pressed to trade Markakis right now w/o having to include a little money.


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

    thewupk (01-16-2017)

  14. #1232
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,602
    Thanks
    318
    Thanked 409 Times in 256 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I expect Tuffy to be extra clutch.
    And tough.

  15. #1233
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,602
    Thanks
    318
    Thanked 409 Times in 256 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yes. See above indeed. Looking above I see some posts about the need for teams to learn from the failure of the White Sox. My point (perhaps made in a slightly smug way) has to do with the difficulty of identifying "bad chemistry" or "bad mix" before it kills your team. It seems to me it is easy ex post to say such and such a team had chemistry issues. "Bad mix" becomes the explanation for all things that happened that could not be explained by other variables. The question I am interested in raising is whether in analyzing the failures of teams like the White Sox it is possible to identify ex ante which teams are learning something from those failures and which teams are not.

    I hope the above clarifies things and makes clear how my post fitted in with the conversation that was happening.

    If I really wanted to be condescending I would say something to the effect that I was looking forward to your analysis of which teams had a "bad mix" in 2017 after the end of the season. But I resisted that temptation. Until now.

    In a similar vein, anyone have a list of players they expect to be clutch this upcoming season?
    You've turned this into something it never was. I never said that the fact that the Chisox were a bad mix in 2016 that it would be predictive in the future in a quantitative fashion. But you can still learn from it. But what you learn may be more subjective than definitive.

    For me, you look at the Chisox and have to say:

    Rotation: Check
    Ace: Check, in fact argument for 2
    Pen: OK
    Closer: Check
    Pitching above league avg. BB below league avg. HR allowed below league avg.

    Overall, pitching good to very good.

    Offense: 4.23 runs per game, far under league average of 4.52. Finished 11th in the AL. Power, 168HR, well below league average of 197 and 13th in the AL. SB 77, league average. K right above league average. BA league average, OBP below. Slugging below.
    Offensively they were a below average team. Got very little out of C, CF and DH.

    Team defensive efficiency: league avg.
    Errors 95, above league avg of 91.
    DP above league avg.
    Overall a pretty average team defensively.

    Looking at that, I would say that even with an underperforming offense, the WS should have been a .500 or better team. It looks to me that they underperformed by 3-5 wins from where they should have been.

  16. #1234
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,535
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 635 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    You've turned this into something it never was. I never said that the fact that the Chisox were a bad mix in 2016 that it would be predictive in the future in a quantitative fashion. But you can still learn from it. But what you learn may be more subjective than definitive.

    For me, you look at the Chisox and have to say:

    Rotation: Check
    Ace: Check, in fact argument for 2
    Pen: OK
    Closer: Check
    Pitching above league avg. BB below league avg. HR allowed below league avg.

    Overall, pitching good to very good.

    Offense: 4.23 runs per game, far under league average of 4.52. Finished 11th in the AL. Power, 168HR, well below league average of 197 and 13th in the AL. SB 77, league average. K right above league average. BA league average, OBP below. Slugging below.
    Offensively they were a below average team. Got very little out of C, CF and DH.

    Team defensive efficiency: league avg.
    Errors 95, above league avg of 91.
    DP above league avg.
    Overall a pretty average team defensively.

    Looking at that, I would say that even with an underperforming offense, the WS should have been a .500 or better team. It looks to me that they underperformed by 3-5 wins from where they should have been.
    Take a look at their record in 1 run games. Their poor luck in those games explains the missing wins. There is no mystery why they are/were bad.

  17. #1235
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,535
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 635 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tigers just got Mahtook from the Rays for basically nothing. His MLB and MiLB splits suggest he would have been a great option to serve as the Braves RHed 4th OFer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •