Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Nobody is going to give up anything of significance for Mac. Still a solid player but there is just no incentive for other teams at this point.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Braves interested in Bautista? Nick Cafardo thinks so. Could Bautista play RF all season? I don't see why not, he stays in excellent shape.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Braves interested in Bautista? Nick Cafardo thinks so. Could Bautista play RF all season? I don't see why not, he stays in excellent shape.
    Not with the QO attached.. I just don't see it. Not unless he thinks he can trade Neck for the equivalent of that high second rounder he would lose.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Chico (11-14-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Think that's just talk personally - Bautista doesn't seem to make a lot of sense IMO. He and Kemp would be pretty redundant. Plus, if they really were willing to give up a pick Turner would seem to make more sense to me.

I don't think moving Markakis would hold that up - Coppy's going to be able to get something pretty good for him if he chooses to move him, but the question to me is "why"? As things stand now, our lineup is balanced with Ender, Swanson, Freeman, Kemp, Markakis, Flowers, Peterson, Garcia. Assuming the backup Catcher search hasn't changed now that Dickey's been added to the rotation, the ideal matchup with Flowers will be left-handed to maintain that balance. In the unexpected event that a 3B is added, he's going to be right-handed - no Garcia/Ruiz platoon and a swap of Markakis and Bautista would suddenly make us REALLY right-handed.

Given how aggressive the brass has been thus far, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear about a Castro or Wieters signing this week while other teams are still getting a grasp on players they talked about during the GM meetings. Getting a left-handed bat behind the plate would then free up our front office to start trying to get really creative with potential trades. Ideally, we could sneak in and get Castro while everyone's still dragging their feet. That wouldn't cost us a single prospect, meaning Coppy would be in a position to enter the discussions for Archer or Quintana with the complete group we've stockpiled - in the unlikely event he does.

Jump out there and offer Castro 2/$20 million (plus an option for a third year at $10 million) and steal him out from under everybody's noses, and the Braves will have in essence shaped the entire market for most teams. MLBTR was predicting 2/$15 to the White Sox with a chance for a 3 year deal. Adding Castro at even that price would put salaries at ~$106,550,000 before renewals, so say ~$114 total. Adding Quintana ($6 million) or Archer ($4.75 million) keeps you right around $120 million, and they "could" stretch that a million or two to go get a personal Catcher for Dickey. The Astros would probably have to trade some of their prospect depth and go get McCann if that happened, and everybody would be trolling the bottom of the SP market unless they were willing to empty their systems.

We would be "set" through 2018...Inciarte, Swanson, Freeman, Kemp, Markakis, Garcia/Ruiz, Castro/Flowers, Peterson (Albies)

Julio, Quintana, Folty, Colon, Dickey (with several choices to step into the #4 and #5 slots by the end of this season)

When Markakis, Castro, and Flowers come off the books for 2019 you could look at some of the under the radar guys to spend money on to replace them - Grandal will be in that class, and you could look at an OF that might slip through the cracks a bit on a shorter term deal (Pence, Adam Jones, Michael Brantley, Charlie Blackmon) while everybody fights over Harper.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Jason Castro makes a lot of sense for us. Heading into the off-season, I thought he would be our #1 target. I'd offer him 3 years at 10M/year.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    What is third base looking like? im interested in this guy

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-n...m-south-korea/

Dont think ATL is a player though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Jason Castro makes a lot of sense for us. Heading into the off-season, I thought he would be our #1 target. I'd offer him 3 years at 10M/year.
    I thought we'd be all over Castro as well, but I've heard very little. I'm thinking we get Wieters. I don't really want him though lol

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Isn't that a little rich for a .210 hitter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Isn't that a little rich for a .210 hitter?
    Probably. I don't mind a slight overpay when the player is a good fit.

In Castro's case, the things to like are the defense, including framing. I think he will also benefit from being used in a platoon with Flowers. His career OPS against righties is .753 versus a .536 against lefties.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-13-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If we could move markakis for better than the second rounder (plus that bonus slot) then is do it. Sign turner and Castro.

Play jace in rf and find a platoon partner for him. It will prob be frenchy anyway. Then replace with Dustin Peterson when dp is ready.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Not with the QO attached.. I just don't see it. Not unless he thinks he can trade Neck for the equivalent of that high second rounder he would lose.
    The only thing I feel sure about is we're not losing a pick.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-14-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If we could move markakis for better than the second rounder (plus that bonus slot) then is do it. Sign turner and Castro.

Play jace in rf and find a platoon partner for him. It will prob be frenchy anyway. Then replace with Dustin Peterson when dp is ready.
    I don't see much point in bringing in FAs to try to compete now if we're just going to run Jace Peterson out there in RF, honestly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The Skankees are delusional. Teams could have had him essentially for free when he was on waivers. But they think they can get a significant piece for him now????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The Skankees are delusional. Teams could have had him essentially for free when he was on waivers. But they think they can get a significant piece for him now????
    Teams couldn't have had McCann for nearly free... if he cleared waivers there would be an opportunity to work out a deal with the claim team. If the Yankees didn't like the deal, they'd just pull him back. The Yankees are still delusional, though.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 11-14-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    The Yankees have almost no leverage. McCann has a no trade so they can't just ship him anywhere. They have Sanchez so other teams know he's not tremendously valuable to the Yankees. McCann doesn't want to play catcher every day at this point which reduces his value. McCann isn't the player he once was. I could go on and on.

The only way the Yankees could leverage McCann into a solid return is if they pick up virtually all of his remaining salary. They've said they're very reluctant to do this though. If they're wanting other teams to take on his contract, then any team that gives up more than a minor league reliever for McCann is stupid.

Honestly, unless they're willing to come down to reality, I could see the Yankees holding onto McCann, using him to spell Sanchez, playing him some at first, and playing him some at DH. They could always try to trade him again at the deadline.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I think the Mac train has moved on. Cashman is clearly in no hurry to make a move. We're looking to fill holes ASAP so we can wheel and deal

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Teams couldn't have had McCann for nearly free... if he cleared waivers there would be an opportunity to work out a deal with the claim team. If the Yankees didn't like the deal, they'd just pull him back. The Yankees are still delusional, though.
    If some team was dumb enough to take on his entire contract, I have little doubt the Yankees would have made much of a fuss. Also, the Yankees would have had zero leverage in a waiver wire trade. The point remains though, that zero teams put in a claim for him.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Jeremy Hellickson (Phillies) and Neil Walker (Mets) are accepting one-year qualifying offer of 17.2 million. Means they cannot be traded until June 15.

This is smart. Every year, one or two players overreach and come out on the short end when no one wants to sign them for that much or for multi years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Nats interested in Sale...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Nats interested in Sale...
    They better cough up Turner. That's about the only way the Nats get him. I would be livid if they got Sale. That rotation would be incredible. Sale-Scherzer would be by far the best in baseball.