Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1345

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A's sign Rajai Davis for $6M. He would have been a great 4th OFer, and that would have been a very affordable way for the Braves to add a win to the roster if they used him correctly. The A's were probably able to offer him more playing time than the Braves though.
    I think we're probably shopping in the $2m bin.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I think we're probably shopping in the $2m bin.
    I was thinking Davis could be a good option, but paying a 4th OF $6M isn't wise for us right now. He wouldn't get enough playing time to get on a hot streak and be traded in July.

On a side note that's another OF the Orioles miss out on. I'm still thinking there's a chance they come back for Mallex.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Chuck Garfien on his audio podcast today today said he is certain the Astros, Pirates, and Braves have made offers for Quintana.
    I'm sure Coppy has a handful of offers on the table waiting for a GM to accept. For the right price Quintana makes a lot of sense for us.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    This has been an odd free agency. Looking at who is still available there are 20 guys I see who would be starters or key members of a pen still available. That's not even counting all of the middle relievers, swing men, and bench guys still out there. There are going to be some teams who get some good deals. I'd still be interested in Weiters, Holland, Feliz, Logan, and Blevins at the right price. Holland will sign somewhere he's guaranteed saves though.

Joey Bats
    Greg Holland
    Mark Trumbo
    Tyson Ross
    Matt Wieters
    Michael Saunders
    Jason Hammel
    Neftali Feliz
    Jerry Blevins
    Boone Logan
    Luis Valbuena
    Joe Blanton
    Doug Fister
    Brandon Moss
    Mike Napoli
    Trevor Plouffe
    Colby Rasmus
    Travis Wood
    Sergio Romo
    Brett Anderson

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Give me Tyson Ross if he's healthy... shoulder issues are scary but if he's healthy, he's an ace

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'm sure Coppy has a handful of offers on the table waiting for a GM to accept. For the right price Quintana makes a lot of sense for us.
    Maybe it's just me, but I would still rather hang onto our surplus young talent in 2017 and gamble on one of the available FA arms like Ross or Foster (provided the price isn't exorbitant) with the aim to either contend using them or ship them off at the deadline. Quintana would obviously be a great add, but you can't help but wonder if the White Sox don't expect the moon given their Sale haul.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I would still rather hang onto our surplus young talent in 2017 and gamble on one of the available FA arms like Ross or Foster (provided the price isn't exorbitant) with the aim to either contend using them or ship them off at the deadline. Quintana would obviously be a great add, but you can't help but wonder if the White Sox don't expect the moon given their Sale haul.
    I doubt it. I think the Sox are thinking, "hey, we got a haul for Sale and Eaton, we can deal Q for an equivalent surplus value."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I doubt it. I think the Sox are thinking, "hey, we got a haul for Sale and Eaton, we can deal Q for an equivalent surplus value."
    Yup. I think we are just being smart and doing our homework -- we probably put a deal in and figured hey, if they bite, awesome.

To me, Tyson Ross makes a ton of sense as well.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Maybe I need a refresher on Ross. Didn't he just suffer the injury this last year. And to his shoulder none the less. He probably won't pitch in 2017 if I am remembering correctly and even then has a small chance of ever getting back to where he was. Shoulder injuries are very different than elbow.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    This has been an odd free agency. Looking at who is still available there are 20 guys I see who would be starters or key members of a pen still available. That's not even counting all of the middle relievers, swing men, and bench guys still out there. There are going to be some teams who get some good deals. I'd still be interested in Weiters, Holland, Feliz, Logan, and Blevins at the right price. Holland will sign somewhere he's guaranteed saves though.

Joey Bats
    Greg Holland
    Mark Trumbo
    Tyson Ross
    Matt Wieters
    Michael Saunders
    Jason Hammel
    Neftali Feliz
    Jerry Blevins
    Boone Logan
    Luis Valbuena
    Joe Blanton
    Doug Fister
    Brandon Moss
    Mike Napoli
    Trevor Plouffe
    Colby Rasmus
    Travis Wood
    Sergio Romo
    Brett Anderson

Not what he's told friends here at home. I'm sure that's the preference - anyone who said it wasn't would be lying - but Greg wants the "right situation" more than anything else.

JMO, but signing Greg to a 2 year deal rather than Johnson would have made tons of sense to me personally. With Vizcaino and others as options to close at times as well, he wouldn't have needed to be "the man" right out of the gate. If we could have signed him to a 2-year deal for a little bit more money than JJ got, the chances of extending him when he proved healthy would have grown exponentially. Since we seem to still have plenty of $$$ available maybe that could still happen - who knows???
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-05-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    They'll try of course, but I think signing Derek Holland tipped off that they're trading him this offseason. I think he'll end up in Pittsburgh with some package of Glasnow/Tallion/Meadows/Bell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Maybe I need a refresher on Ross. Didn't he just suffer the injury this last year. And to his shoulder none the less. He probably won't pitch in 2017 if I am remembering correctly and even then has a small chance of ever getting back to where he was. Shoulder injuries are very different than elbow.
    He's expected to be ready at the beginning of 2017.... he's actually seeking a one year deal to build his value back. It's a risk but at this point it probably won't be too expensive for a one or two year gamble

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    He's expected to be ready at the beginning of 2017.... he's actually seeking a one year deal to build his value back. It's a risk but at this point it probably won't be too expensive for a one or two year gamble
    There's some reports he may not be ready to start. His value to us would be having a stellar first half and being traded in July. He may have more value later in the season to where a team like the Cubs who will be in the postseason is a more logical choice.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Twins beat writer:

Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 14m14 minutes ago
    Was told by source w/direct knowledge not to rule out #Braves as stealth landing spot for Dozier. Excess young arms (Wisler, Blair) w/upside
    5 replies 27 retweets 22 likes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 10m10 minutes ago
    Dozier's charisma, grit, marketing potential, Southern accent all would fit snugly for #Braves as they move into new ballpark.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Twins beat writer:

Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 14m14 minutes ago
    Was told by source w/direct knowledge not to rule out #Braves as stealth landing spot for Dozier. Excess young arms (Wisler, Blair) w/upside
    5 replies 27 retweets 22 likes
    Dozier for Wisler or Blair is fine for me. Hell they can have both as long as we don't trade anyone from our top top 10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Dozier for Wisler or Blair is fine for me. Hell they can have both as long as we don't trade anyone from our top top 10.
    Yeah I'm fine with that, too. I just don't think it would be enough to get it done.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    There are some ways a Dozier deal could make sense. It all depends on what the FO is wanting to do. By adding some more power that may make it possible to have Ender in RF and Mallex in CF and being able to shed Markakis. Having a RH power bat may make it possible to shed Kemp and his salary. If he agrees to a new deal with 2 to 3 years of market value added that could possible open up a trade of Riley if he's slotted at 3B or Albies if he's manning 2B.

At first report I didn't think t made sense, and I still don't think it'll happen, but I can see why we're looking depending on what other moves we're thinking of making.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If the Twins take Wisler and Blair over De Leon they are morons. If that's the case the Braves should make the deal and then get De Leon from the Dodgers for themselves.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (01-06-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the Twins take Wisler and Blair over De Leon they are morons. If that's the case the Braves should make the deal and then get De Leon from the Dodgers for themselves.
    I still think a Wisler & Blair trade for Hughes and Dozier makes sense for the Twins IF they are trying to drop some payroll (and they should be). Unsure if the Braves want that type of payroll at this point but Hughes is a big time bounce back candidate in my book.