sounds like an X-Files tag line
    Is it not true?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You need to read Cult of the Amateur by Andrew Keen. The problem with the internet is that it's all bits of information and questionable judgment is attached to a lot of that information. Some middle-aged fat guy is sitting in his mother's basement trying to pass himself off as a wizened political analyst.
    At least that middle-aged fat guy is engaging in the political process, right? That's a positive I'm choosing to take out of this cycle; you've got people who have never even bothered to vote before suddenly not just voting, but absolutely convicted of their candidate/position. Granted, many of the partisan arguments we've seen these 'groups' prop up over the past several months lack nuance (not to mention ... fact) and don't even remotely address policy, but if we chose to look at this more broadly as a metamorphosis then there's certainly more positives than negatives to be found. IMHO, this election is as transformative an event for the Internet and the procurement of media as 9/11 was.

I mentioned this in a post about a month ago now, but we shouldn't discourage people from pursuing ANY and ALL information on the Internet. That being said, we've got to do a better job educating people on bias and really knuckle down on the importance of the integrity of full-disclosure, especially as it pertains to all forms of media.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    FBI announces it has 'not changed its conclusion' RE: Clinton investigation after reviewing Wiener's e-mails.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    FBI announces it has 'not changed its conclusion' RE: Clinton investigation after reviewing Wiener's e-mails.
    There's a shock.

It did provide a nice distraction from the damning wikileaks, though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Now the FBI can move on to the Clinton pedo ring.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Looking forward to the next hit piece on how many codes of conduct Comey violated.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Now the FBI can move on to the Clinton pedo ring.
    Nothing will ever happen to the Clintons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    they are the most investigated people in history and all they got was a little blue dress that even the owner didn't want turned over

The Rude Pundit Retweeted Nick Corasaniti
    Comey: "Never mind."

a little blue dress is all y'all got to show for this non sense.
    Personally, I hope she takes your guns
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Nothing will ever happen to the Clintons.
    stop and think about why

there is a man where I work that spends all his time walking around with a solution looking for a problem.
    Bet you know some one just like that.

#CDS
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    At least that middle-aged fat guy is engaging in the political process, right? That's a positive I'm choosing to take out of this cycle; you've got people who have never even bothered to vote before suddenly not just voting, but absolutely convicted of their candidate/position. Granted, many of the partisan arguments we've seen these 'groups' prop up over the past several months lack nuance (not to mention ... fact) and don't even remotely address policy, but if we chose to look at this more broadly as a metamorphosis then there's certainly more positives than negatives to be found. IMHO, this election is as transformative an event for the Internet and the procurement of media as 9/11 was.

I mentioned this in a post about a month ago now, but we shouldn't discourage people from pursuing ANY and ALL information on the Internet. That being said, we've got to do a better job educating people on bias and really knuckle down on the importance of the integrity of full-disclosure, especially as it pertains to all forms of media.
    I thought this was implicit in my post. All the information in the world is relatively useless unless one has some measure of critical thinking and a desire to look more deeply into the matter.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Are you calling me fat?
    No, but I thought you mom had convinced you to find your own place.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    i'm shocked

the people that just want something to happen no matter if there is evidence or not are upset that something didn't happen
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I thought this was implicit in my post. All the information in the world is relatively useless unless one has some measure of critical thinking and a desire to look more deeply into the matter.
    Well, you referenced Keen's book - which was great - but penned during the middle of Web 2.0 when digital and social media were basically still fledglings. When people were still debating whether or not Wikipedia was a valid source.

I'd argue that we're firmly in Web 3.0 now, where information is essentially vetted vis-à-vis virality and things like social bookmarking. Crowd sourced critical thinking and fact-checking, if you will.

My comments were geared more towards establishing this baseline where information is approached with a 'two sides to every story' mentality, and further, where information itself is more important than the outlet that is producing/publishing it.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Well, you referenced Keen's book - which was great - but penned during the middle of Web 2.0 when digital and social media were basically still fledglings. When people were still debating whether or not Wikipedia was a valid source.

I'd argue that we're firmly in Web 3.0 now, where information is essentially vetted vis-à-vis virality and things like social bookmarking. Crowd sourced critical thinking and fact-checking, if you will.

My comments were geared more towards establishing this baseline where information is approached with a 'two sides to every story' mentality, and further, where information itself is more important than the outlet that is producing/publishing it.

I agree, but our high school teachers are going to need to teach differently to help students learn how to handle different viewpoints and make judgments as to the veracity of different sources. The old "read the textbook" approach isn't sufficient in the current age.