Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Respect, I Tell Ya

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts

No Respect, I Tell Ya

Usually, I don't really give two ****s about what ESPN or any national covering conglomerate has to say about the Braves. Mainly because their goal is to focus on something that's ratings worthy. Controversial stuff, large market teams, etc.

But when I saw this video about the power rankings, it made my blood boil.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9625931

I didn't appreciate this snide remark by Karl Ravech. He and his little smirk can go to hell.
    It's interesting that when you take a look at the Braves going into the postseason where people will give them the respect and if they deserve it.
    I think we're going to take a lot of "experts" and "analysts" by surprise this October.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-03-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    You cant let things like that bother you, in the end where the talking heads rank the Braves has 0 effect on what happens in the playoffs. If we dont make it past the division series then they were right to rank us where they have. We know winning in October is never a sure thing no matter how good the team is. We have a team with a lot of very good and the only truly elite player we have is Kimbrel and thats not really the position you want your elite player to be.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Like I said, it usually doesn't bother me. It's the smug ass way they went about it that got me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    11 wins in October will probably jump out at them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-03-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I have to be honest, the points they made were fair. "There is nothing about the team that jumps out at you". When you look at the Braves from a playoff perspective, a lot of other teams look better on paper. That's just the way it's going to be. Now, that being said, the Nationals looked better on paper to the experts coming into the season and look what happened. Bottom line is, the Braves out of most playoff teams are more built for the long haul rather than a short series. Only time will tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I have to be honest, the points they made were fair. "There is nothing about the team that jumps out at you". When you look at the Braves from a playoff perspective, a lot of other teams look better on paper. That's just the way it's going to be. Now, that being said, the Nationals looked better on paper to the experts coming into the season and look what happened. Bottom line is, the Braves out of most playoff teams are more built for the long haul rather than a short series. Only time will tell.
    It jumps out at me that they're very good in every area, especially if Heyward is playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    Usually, I don't really give two ****s about what ESPN or any national covering conglomerate has to say about the Braves. Mainly because their goal is to focus on something that's ratings worthy. Controversial stuff, large market teams, etc.

But when I saw this video about the power rankings, it made my blood boil.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9625931
    That's right where we need to be. Better to be under-rated and feel we've got something to prove. But he's right that we don't have any big parts that jump out at you - just a somewhat underwhelming team that seems to scrape by night after night. Not bad for the youngest team in baseball with a ton of injuries and slumping hitters.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Without looking maybe fair.

Still think we're built for 162 over a playoff series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Lol. Couple of boners. Just gotta ignore it man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Without looking maybe fair.

Still think we're built for 162 over a playoff series.
    That may be true, but who other than the Dodgers are built for that in the NL that will actually get to the playoffs?

Pirates... Don't think so.

Cards.... meh.. only one ace on that staff.

Reds... Don't think so.

The Dodgers appear to be the best team right now, but after that there really isn't another obvious favorite. And the Braves really shouldn't expect to compete with the Dodgers' finances.
    thank you weso1!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I really, REALLY hope the Braves win it all this year!!! Mark Mulder's comment pissed me off more than anything! Please Braves shut him the heck up!

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    I've been rather impressed when watching our games on TBS and MLB at how harsh Smoltz in his judgment of the club. Certainly no one's going to accuse him of bias for the old club; it was particularly something listening to him turn a Justin Upton home run against the Cardinals into a damning indictment of the offense within 10 seconds of Upton crossing the plate.

People will have their opinions, and they don't always have to align with mine. That's fine. But if you find more to criticize than to praise in the 2013 Atlanta Braves, you're doing analysis all wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    You don't have to have a bunch of big stars to be a good playoff team. A shutdown type ace pitcher would be nice. Our guys have been that most of the year but they are very young. Interesting to see what they will do in the playoffs.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I've been rather impressed when watching our games on TBS and MLB at how harsh Smoltz in his judgment of the club. Certainly no one's going to accuse him of bias for the old club; it was particularly something listening to him turn a Justin Upton home run against the Cardinals into a damning indictment of the offense within 10 seconds of Upton crossing the plate.

People will have their opinions, and they don't always have to align with mine. That's fine. But if you find more to criticize than to praise in the 2013 Atlanta Braves, you're doing analysis all wrong.
    Beat me to it, I was going to make the same point. Is Smoltz national media? I guess so he's doing games on MLBN and TBS and is continuous in pointing out how bad we are. Makes you would what pissed him off, obviously something did.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I saw the power rankings clip that was posted at ESPN that you're talking about, and I was kind of irritated as others have described. I think that Mulder's and Ravech's comments reflect a shallow, read-the-headlines type of analysis. As others have pointed out, it is true that the Braves don't really have many players that are truly elite - Kimbrel, and I would add Simmons - there probably isn't any other shortstop I would rather have. That said, the Braves have the best record despite having lost multiple key players for the season, and other key players for extended periods of time. They, along with the Dodgers and Pirates, have separated themselves from the pack with regard to team ERA, and of those three teams, the Braves have the best scoring offense. They've also done well against the top teams, so their record is not just the result of beating up on weak teams. This is a deep team, with a lot of very good players. If you look at performance measures their record is not at all surprising.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conalthomas For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (09-03-2013), GovClintonTyree (09-03-2013), jpx7 (09-03-2013), Julio3000 (09-03-2013)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    That's it. "Analysts" struggle for traction when they look at the team and don't see someone who's been bestowed the accolade of "ace" or a guy with eye-popping offensive numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    If Heyward had any luck at the beginning of the season we would be looking at a team that has FIVE (Freeman/Upton/Johnson/Mac/Heyward) guys who have 800+ OPS. Thats why we are winning. Its not just one or two guys on offense. Its a host of players. Oh yeah, we have the best pitching in baseball.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Nice points, Conal...I would point out that Mark Mulder's opinion means nothing, that we haven't done much with our playoff appearances this century and the way to shut up this kind of Pez-dispenser analysis is by stomping some people in October.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (09-03-2013), Julio3000 (09-03-2013)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    There's always the possibility that we catch some bad luck or just fall flat, but I think this team has the mettle for a good playoff run.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post

"There is nothing about the team that jumps out at you" - except the fact that the starting lineup has played together 28 times all season and they STILL have the best record in baseball.

Oh yeah, that and the fact that the Braves have a winning record against EVERY OTHER contender in the NL - yes ESPN and Jim Bowden, that includes the Dodgers.

We're exactly where you want to be - the world knows how good this team can be and not only doesn't want to admit it for fear they'll be called out for jumping on the bandwagon late...they're much more afraid of us than they want to let on as well.