Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Roster Construction Thoughts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Some Roster Construction Thoughts

During the past season, we went through long stretches with just one lefty in the pen and no real lefty pinch hitter. In a rebuilding season, these small things don't matter much. But if we want to be competitive or semi-competitive in 2017, the front office will have to pay a bit more attention to these details.

Let's start with pitching. When it comes to starting pitching, I don't see much need for a particular mix of lefties and righties. If you make the post-season, it might come into play if you face teams whose lineups are stacked in a particular direction. But during the regular season it is usually a wash. There is a case, however, for making sure the pen complements the starters. If you have mostly right-handed starters, there is a stronger case for a third lefty in the pen.

As things currently stand, it appears likely we will have four or five right handed starters. Our bullpen candidates also lean strongly righty with Viz, Johnson, Cabrera, Simmons, Winkler, Ramirez and Withrow in the mix. On the lefty side there is Krol and Paco Rodriguez. Minty Hippo was very good in AA last year and could be a lefty option as well, though it makes sense to give him some time in AAA. I'm ok with starting the season with five righties and Krol and Rodriguez in the pen. But I think there will be a need for another lefty bullpen arm at some point in the season.

Moving on to the lineup, I think we have fairly good balance--three lefty hitters (Inciarte, Freeman, Muk), three righties (Kemp, Garcia, Swanson), one platoon (catcher) and one switch hitter (I'm assuming Albies will be our second baseman for most of the season even if he starts the year in AAA).

Moving on to the bench, I think there is a clear need for a couple decent bats who can be our primary pinch hitters from the left and right side. We could do a lot worse than bringing back old friends Kelly Johnson and Jeff Francoeur. KJ has the added virtue of positional versatility and providing insurance at our position of greatest weakness and uncertainty (third base). And Francoeur would allow us to rest Muk now and then against tough lefties. The remaining bench players would be Jace and Mallex. Jace might be our opening day second baseman but I don't see that continuing all season. I think his ideal role is super utility player.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-05-2016 at 11:31 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I believe we'll sign a lefty reliever like a Cecil or Dunn. If not we'll acquire one via a trade. I think we go in to the season with hopes that Paco and Minter force our hand and we have Kroll and another lefty to trade in July. The value of Cervenka and Dario shows it's good to have a lefty reliever or two to peddle in July.

I think we could add another righty veteran reliever for the same reason. It shows the fan base we're trying to win. It gives the kids a little more seasoning. It gives us a veteran trade chip.

One of the two or three starters we acquire will be lefty. I think the hope is Newcomb and eventually Fried are our two lefties for a couple of seasons, but we'll have to acquire at least one lefty placeholder or two if we decide to trade Fried.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-06-2016)

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I am not sure what Castro you are referring to I assume you mean Garcia among the 3 righties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    I am not sure what Castro you are referring to I assume you mean Garcia among the 3 righties.
    Yes. For some reason (maybe because he is from Cuba) I always want to call him Castro.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Ideas regarding 2017 team construction

I'm sure there will be many changes as the offseason goes but I thought I would start looking.

I think the signing of Johnson means that there are likely too many RH relief pitchers and one will get traded (at least).
    I like: Vizcaino to the Reds for C Tyler Stephenson and OF Aristedes Aquino

I like a trade with ChiSox for Shields maybe: RHP Shields and 3B Frazier for 3B Garcia, RHP Max Povse and SS Anfernee Seymore

I like a trade with Detroit for RHP Zimmerman and RHP Sanchez for CF M Smith

I like a trade with the Yankees: C McCann and RF Frazier for RF Markakis, RHP John Gant and LHP Newcomb

Sign LHP Michael Dunn, RF Carlos Beltran (if no QO), LH Kelly Johnson, RH Jeff Francouer

Rotation: Teheran, Zimmerman, Shields, Folty, Sanchez/Wisler

Pen: CL Johnson, LHP Krol, RHP Withrow, LHP Dunn, RHP Cabrera, RHP Roe, RHP Ramirez/Simmons or LHP Rodriguez

Lineup:

CF Inciarte
    SS Swanson
    1B Freeman
    LF Kemp
    RF Beltran
    3B Frazier
    C McCann/Flowers
    2B Peterson/Albies

Trade for SP buys some time for young prospects but outside of Zimmerman, not long term. Very powerful team but with movable parts should that become desireable and necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Considering the contracts of Zimmerman and Sanchez, Mallex would be an overpay for those two. I would offer them Muk instead for those two. I also think McCann has little or no surplus value given his contract. I would offer to take on the whole contract for a second tier prospect. The idea is not to give up any young talent like Mallex.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-06-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I like the idea of picking up Frazier with Shields

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I like the idea of picking up Frazier with Shields
    as do I, but they'll ask for more than what we'd be giving in that scenario. Not saying that's not enough, but they go high.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Pass on Shields unless the Sox are paying close to half the contract AND taking on Markakis. Shields is old and in major decline. If we're wanting to take on a salary dump, why not take on Kennedy, who's actually a good pitcher?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Kennedy's contract is problematic in light of the opt out.

I think it will be a two-step approach with respect to the rotation. Step 1 will be to sign a couple mid-rotation guys this off-season (my picks are Cashner and de la Rosa). Step 2 will involve a trade for an upper level starter. Could happen mid-season or next off-season.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-06-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Pass on Shields unless the Sox are paying close to half the contract AND taking on Markakis. Shields is old and in major decline. If we're wanting to take on a salary dump, why not take on Kennedy, who's actually a good pitcher?
    You take Shields to get Frazier. Shields would still be serviceable as a mid or end of rotation pitcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I think we should sign Greg Holland... could be a huge bargain

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I think we should sign Greg Holland... could be a huge bargain
    This. He's not going to be cheap but we 100% should go hard after Holland

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Kennedy's contract is problematic in light of the opt out.

I think it will be a two-step approach with respect to the rotation. Step 1 will be to sign a couple mid-rotation guys this off-season (my picks are Cashner and de la Rosa). Step 2 will involve a trade for an upper level starter. Could happen mid-season or next off-season.
    I think the ideal situation would be for him to opt out after a season and collect a pick.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I'd like to look into Hunter Dozier for 3B. Sounds like he may be available

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    I'd like to look into Hunter Dozier for 3B. Sounds like he may be available
    This is interesting. I had heard he would likely not be available. I would be interested in your source for this...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    You take Shields to get Frazier. Shields would still be serviceable as a mid or end of rotation pitcher.
    Actually looking at the stats it surprised me how ordinary Frazier has been at the plate outside of just power. A little bit of speed but a .750 - .800 OPS player. Not sure a Garcia platoon would be much worse

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Again, a friendly reminder that saying you "heard" something is worthless unless you can provide a link or a source. If it's your own speculation, say so.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Why not just bring up Minter? He's 23 and over a year from TJ. He's killing kids. He's a reliever so who knows how long he'll last. He throws with his LH.

Wildcard is Paco....seems like his health is not good b/c he was listed as a potential non-tender guy by Bowman (IIRC).

But Krol plus Minter should be ok from the left side. I'm not sure we need to throw money or prospects at another LH reliever.

I would like to have a LH starter if we can. I think it's good to give teams another look. But I'd prefer to get the best pitcher I can than the best LH. But if I have two I think are equal I'd go for the lefty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm not sure we need to throw money or prospects at another LH reliever.
    My observation in the opening post was that it was likely we would need to acquire a LH reliever at some point in the season. This reflects the usual attrition you see during the season. But I agree we don't have to pursue one at this point. We don't have to until the need materializes. Maybe the health and effectiveness of the group we already have will be better than the actuarial odds.