if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Poor taste on the cast.

Their whole platform to every vulnerable group in the USA is in poor taste
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

Still to this day the only time someone has ever Stump The Trump.
    Trump's standard answer: We're gonna be looking at a lot of things. A lot of people are saying that bad things are happening and we're gonna be looking at a lot of things. Next question.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Trump's standard answer: We're gonna be looking at a lot of things. A lot of people are saying that bad things are happening and we're gonna be looking at a lot of things. Next question.
    I watch that video now and then to see different reactions in the crowday behind Donald.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I also thought the Hamilton thing was in poor taste. Just didn't seem like the time to preach at Pence when the audience was already giving him Bronx cheers.

The cast had the stage and the opportunity to be influential with their art.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-20-2016), Hawk (11-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Who knew Mike Pence would run into a hostile situation at a Broadway play ?

1. Supporting a constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality
    In 2006, then-Rep. Pence told 100 of his fellow Republicans that he supported*a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex weddings. Or as Pence put it, supported “God’s plan” in the face of the destruction of civilization.*“Societal collapse was always brought about following an advent of the deterioration of marriage and family,” Pence complained.

2. Signed a bill to jail same-sex couples for applying for a marriage license
    In an effort to make a bad idea even worse, as governor Pence signed a bill in 2013 that*would jail same-sex couples in Indiana who applied for a marriage license. To prove that he wasn’t singling gay people out, Pence was also willing to jail marriage clerks who supplied a license or clergy who performed the wedding.

3. Wanted to divert funding from HIV prevention to conversion therapy
    This one’s a two-fer: as a Congressional candidate in 2000, Pence wrapped two awful ideas into a single dreadful proposal. He wanted to ensure that “federal dollars were no longer being given to organizations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus.” So where should the money go? “Resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior.”*In other words, conversion therapy.

4. Opposed repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell
    Longing for the good old days of complete invisibility for gay people, Pence predictably ignored the preponderance of evidence in support of repealing Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. Instead, Pence put himself out there as a leading opponent of the policy change. “There’s no question to mainstream homosexuality within active duty military would have an impact on unit cohesion,” Pence argued, dismissing the repeal as “some liberal domestic social agenda.”

5. Complained about the passage of the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes bill
    In Pence’s ideal world, there would be zero protections. So it’s no surprise that he groused when the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes bill was signed into law in 2009. Pence didn’t cite legal objections. Instead, he complained that it advanced a “radical social agenda”*and would have “a chilling effect on religious expression, from the pulpits, in our temples, in our mosques and in our churches.”

6. Served on the board of*an antigay group
    Pence has had a close relationship with the antigay leadership in his state. He served on the board of the*Indiana Family Institute, an affiliate of Focus on the Family, which has been in the forefront of attacks on LGBT rights in the state, including a state constitutional amendment banning marriage equality. Thanks to its connections to Pence and other Republicans, IFI has been the recipient of funding for the state’s “Health Marriage” program.*The former head of IFI has served as an aide to Pence both in Congress and the state house and as a*campaign consultant.

7. Argued that passing ENDA would ban Bibles from the workplace
    Of course, in Congress Pence voted against federal workplace protections. What was unique was his reasoning, which was that ENDA would discriminate against Christians. To comply with the law, Pence claimed, “the employer has to ban employees from having a Bible at the workplace for their break time, or displaying Bible verses.” Foreshadowing the Indiana religious liberty law, he*went on: “We must stand for the right of every American to practice their faith according to the dictates of their conscience, whether it be in the public square or in the workplace.”
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Just links please.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump met in the last week in his office at Trump Tower with three Indian business partners who are building a Trump-branded luxury apartment complex south of Mumbai, raising new questions about how he will separate his business dealings from the work of the government once he is in the White House.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/us...=politics&_r=0
    .................................................. .................................................. ...........

Also illegal use of unsecure telephone lines.

Would really like to see the transcripts of those conversations.

Cause you know, both sides ...
    Last edited by 57Brave; 11-20-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Who knew Mike Pence would run into a hostile situation at a Broadway play ?

1. Supporting a constitutional amendment to ban marriage equality
    In 2006, then-Rep. Pence told 100 of his fellow Republicans that he supported*a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex weddings. Or as Pence put it, supported “God’s plan” in the face of the destruction of civilization.*“Societal collapse was always brought about following an advent of the deterioration of marriage and family,” Pence complained.
    etc
    But what's all that got to do with Pence's right as a paying customer to sit down and enjoy a play without people from the stage calling him out with shoptalk? At least they should let him do something in office first. I get that just joining Trump's ticket is in itself reprehensible, but the actors would be more likely to move him with their performance than with impromptu finger-wagging. They could’ve won more points with him with a neutral and respectful greeting to the VP-elect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    [QUOTE=Runnin;352290]But what's all that got to do with Pence's right as a paying customer to sit down and enjoy a play without people from the stage calling him out with shoptalk? [QUOTE]

why shouldn't they ?

I for one find his record on #5 above more reprehensible - deplorable if you will

Unless it comes to physical violence against him or his family Mike Pence's record and stances deserve every public scolding affordable
    Certainly he has a right to go into the lions den. But don't gripe when lions act like lions,

Pence supporters painted swastikas on Beastie Boy playground in Jewish Brooklyn neighborhood
    Not a peep or apology from him.

Once more, one side is continually expected to behave with civility yet another side is granted a pass at all turns
    It is going to be a long 4 years

I completely understand the cast point
    and admire their restraint
    from Washington Post on Trump's reaction:

“Instead of doing what a Franklin Roosevelt or a John Kennedy or a Lyndon Johnson would have done, he’s exacerbating the differences by saying they owe him an apology,” Dallek said. “For what? What were they asking for? They were asking for a kind of regard for minorities. It wasn’t as if they were asking him to give up the office.”
    Last edited by 57Brave; 11-20-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I would be all for turning the homophobe and radical Pence into a decent American , but conversion therapy doesn't work.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    [QUOTE=57Brave;352306][QUOTE=Runnin;352290]But what's all that got to do with Pence's right as a paying customer to sit down and enjoy a play without people from the stage calling him out with shoptalk?

why shouldn't they ?

I for one find his record on #5 above more reprehensible - deplorable if you will

Unless it comes to physical violence against him or his family Mike Pence's record and stances deserve every public scolding affordable
    Certainly he has a right to go into the lions den. But don't gripe when lions act like lions,

Pence supporters painted swastikas on Beastie Boy playground in Jewish Brooklyn neighborhood
    Not a peep or apology from him.

Once more, one side is continually expected to behave with civility yet another side is granted a pass at all turns
    It is going to be a long 4 years

I completely understand the cast point
    and admire their restraint
    from Washington Post on Trump's reaction:

“Instead of doing what a Franklin Roosevelt or a John Kennedy or a Lyndon Johnson would have done, he’s exacerbating the differences by saying they owe him an apology,” Dallek said. “For what? What were they asking for? They were asking for a kind of regard for minorities. It wasn’t as if they were asking him to give up the office.”
    You do know that the board think you are a f*cking joke. You lost they won, get over it. Your old shaking hands ass couldn't use a crayon if it tried and lord help the Play Doh.

When Left leaning peeps on this board give you a hard time they know that you have a few screws loose.......but the common sense ones like me already knew that.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Are there some who would push for more? I would assume you would think there are. If so what more would you venture to think they'd want?

When I say, "a common full LGBT agenda," I mean that within the public domain, all citizens must not merely acknowledge all the legal rights that heterosexuals enjoy, but there can be no refusal to render public service to LGBT in the pursuit of those rights no matter one's religious convictions, no public practice by those who disagree will be allowed, and ultimately that no public (or familial) disapproval be tolerated. Ultimately, it's not about accommodation or acceptance it's about approval. To give public disapproval will be hate speech. To teach disapproval will be brainwashing. Neither will be tolerated. First via cultural pressures. But likely and eventually by legal pressures.
    That seems like a pretty neat encapsulation of exactly the kind of hysteria that you're complaining about upthread. I'll concede your point that there is and has been overheated rhetoric going on, but add that this doesn't seem too different.

As for Sessions and his time as US Attorney...no, it's not the same. Not necessarily.

Desegregation was court-ordered, and there were both sanctions for not complying and a specific JD mandate to enforce. The vote fraud case fell within his discretion as prosecutor. He chose to bring the case, and lost it.

Now, it's theoretically possible that he was pressured by higher-ups to bring the case, but the salient point is that it was voluntary in a way that enforcing a desegregation order is not.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Oh hells, the last line is the prize.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

He certainly trolls well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I also thought the Hamilton thing was in poor taste. Just didn't seem like the time to preach at Pence when the audience was already giving him Bronx cheers.

The cast had the stage and the opportunity to be influential with their art.

Singling out an audience member - no matter who he is - like that seems to be a bad place for entertainers to go. But hey, Pence took it fine. Good for him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    That seems like a pretty neat encapsulation of exactly the kind of hysteria that you're complaining about upthread. I'll concede your point that there is and has been overheated rhetoric going on, but add that this doesn't seem too different.

As for Sessions and his time as US Attorney...no, it's not the same. Not necessarily.

Desegregation was court-ordered, and there were both sanctions for not complying and a specific JD mandate to enforce. The vote fraud case fell within his discretion as prosecutor. He chose to bring the case, and lost it.

Now, it's theoretically possible that he was pressured by higher-ups to bring the case, but the salient point is that it was voluntary in a way that enforcing a desegregation order is not.

No hysteria on my part actually. The only thing of that which has not played out here (though it has elsewhere and unlike progressives I don't believe in American Exceptionalism) is the criminalization of voicing disapproval or teaching disapproval in homes and private institutions. But if you don't think there are those within progressive ranks which want such to be criminalized then you've got your head stuck in the proverbial sand.

One thing is for certain, it's this sort of thing that helped Clinton lose the election and made Trump an attractive candidate to far too many. Got to see those bakers and photographers destroyed.

And on the other - Sessions - yeah, whatever. Go ahead and dig in. I'm sure he's rotten to the core.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Ok, well, I guess it goes without saying that I disagree. Your opinion on the degree to which Christians' ability to teach and practice their faith is compromised sounds a lot like the kind of overreaction and "crying wolf" that you'd be criticizing if it weren't your ox being gored. Anyway, even the disagreement is stated with affection.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-20-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Ok, well, I guess it goes without saying that I disagree. Your opinion on the degree to which Christians' ability to teach and practice their faith is compromised sounds a lot like the kind of overreaction and "crying wolf" that you'd be criticizing if it weren't your ox being gored. Anyway, even the disagreement is stated with affection.

And I never doubt your affection! :-) Don't mine either. Blessings old friend.