User Tag List

Page 2 of 994 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 19865

Thread: The Trump Presidency

  1. #21
    Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,454
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 873 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Tend to agree, but that's not the most inspiring thing to read the day after the election, lol. That the president-elect won't be as much of a lunatic as he could be isn't much to hang your hat on.
    Just saying. Im not really a Trump fan, but he's going to be much more moderate than people assume.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

    Runnin (11-11-2016),weso1 (11-09-2016)

  3. #22
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,748
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Like a literal axe, right? Comey's life is in real danger.
    It's going to be interesting to see if there's any kind of trail between the FBI agents in the NYC office and Guiliani. I may be alone, but given how the election played out, I don't think the Comey affair made much, if any, difference. He was in a tough position. Trump rode an undercurrent of anger that I think would have carried him.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (11-09-2016)

  5. #23
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,748
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Just saying. Im not really a Trump fan, but he's going to be much more moderate than people assume.
    But will that satisfy those who elected him, especially if there's an economic downturn?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (11-09-2016)

  7. #24
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,088
    Thanks
    6,299
    Thanked 9,404 Times in 4,913 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But will that satisfy those who elected him, especially if there's an economic downturn?
    Yeah, that's what I'll be curious to watch. In midterms and 2020, how are those disaffected folks going to react when there's no wall on the southern border, trade deals aren't renegotiated, and health insurance premiums aren't decreasing.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

    DaneHill (11-09-2016),jpx7 (11-09-2016)

  9. #25
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,200
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 894 Times in 633 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But will that satisfy those who elected him, especially if there's an economic downturn?
    And how is it going to sit with the uber wealthy who outsource jobs, hide money, screw their employees any and every way they can, if/when he does away with NAFTA, the TPP, and other sources of cheap foreign labor, not to mention insurance companies and drug companies if/when he makes them actually compete across state lines and does away with their little sweetheart monopolies?

    Will he really follow through with those promises?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (11-09-2016)

  11. #26
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,748
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'll be curious to watch. In midterms and 2020, how are those disaffected folks going to react when there's no wall on the southern border, trade deals aren't renegotiated, and health insurance premiums aren't decreasing.
    I actually watched a program on C-Span a couple of weeks ago. It featured political analyst Charlie Cook and he pointed out that we may be due for a recession and if that's the case, I wonder if it will be better for Trump to have that early (like Reagan) or will he be forced to pull out all stops to avoid it early in fear that he'll lose any momentum for his program. Charlie Cook isn't an economist, so I don't know. The macro-economy has been looking better lately, but it's still fragile. If early indications of Wall Street are a harbinger of the short term performance, we could hit the skids. Too early to tell.

  12. #27
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,748
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    And how is it going to sit with the uber wealthy who outsource jobs, hide money, screw their employees any and every way they can, if/when he does away with NAFTA, the TPP, and other sources of cheap foreign labor, not to mention insurance companies and drug companies if/when he makes them actually compete across state lines and does away with their little sweetheart monopolies?

    Will he really follow through with those promises?
    Did the uber-wealthy vote for him? I haven't seen a breakdown. I think he may be able to push Congress in some directions on issues like the ability to sell insurance across state lines, but the NAFTA and TPP stuff will be tricky. Tearing up those agreements would likely weaken the dollar and cause some measure of inflation (and inflation being the thing all Presidents seek to avoid seemingly at all costs) which could drive up interest rates to combat that. Interesting times. I think the big thing is that corporations don't have to invest if they don't feel like it. We've seen that for the past decade. Profits are up, but CEOs are sitting on them. Curious to see if that continues.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (11-09-2016)

  14. #28
    Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,454
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 873 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought uber wealthy voted Hillary. Status quo.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

    BedellBrave (11-12-2016),FreemanFan (11-13-2016),jpx7 (11-09-2016)

  16. #29
    It's OVER 5,000! cajunrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    uranus
    Posts
    9,189
    Thanks
    2,616
    Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,554 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'll be curious to watch. In midterms and 2020, how are those disaffected folks going to react when there's no wall on the southern border, trade deals aren't renegotiated, and health insurance premiums aren't decreasing.

    Kanye vs Trump in 2020 is going to be great. I bet Kanye picks himself as VP.
    "State power feeds on crisis and enemies"

    John T. Flynn 1944

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (11-09-2016),Tapate50 (11-09-2016)

  18. #30
    Awaiting a Promotion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 300 Times in 183 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    And how is it going to sit with the uber wealthy who outsource jobs, hide money, screw their employees any and every way they can, if/when he does away with NAFTA, the TPP, and other sources of cheap foreign labor, not to mention insurance companies and drug companies if/when he makes them actually compete across state lines and does away with their little sweetheart monopolies?

    Will he really follow through with those promises?
    Well one thing we know for certain is that Clinton wasn't going to touch any of that so at least we're giving ourselves a shot at it here with Trump.

  19. #31
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,200
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 894 Times in 633 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Did the uber-wealthy vote for him? I haven't seen a breakdown. I think he may be able to push Congress in some directions on issues like the ability to sell insurance across state lines, but the NAFTA and TPP stuff will be tricky. Tearing up those agreements would likely weaken the dollar and cause some measure of inflation (and inflation being the thing all Presidents seek to avoid seemingly at all costs) which could drive up interest rates to combat that. Interesting times. I think the big thing is that corporations don't have to invest if they don't feel like it. We've seen that for the past decade. Profits are up, but CEOs are sitting on them. Curious to see if that continues.
    I guess I didn't explain that very well. I'm sure some of the uber wealthy voted for him, probably quite a few of them. I know this is a stereotype but typically I believe most of the uber wealthy vote Repub, though that's not a 100% thing. Those same types tend to love BS systems like NAFTA and the TPP (2 Repub like arrangements made by Dems) because it helps them make more money, regardless of the cost to their workers.

    Trump has promised to get rid of Obamacare, which would make the happy. He's promised a revised tax setup, which should make them at least somewhat happier, plus he isn't Obama or Hilldog which makes them very happy. But my point was their happiness may fade pretty quickly if he stops them from being able to outsource jobs, hide money overseas and basically screw their workers, not to mention making insurances companies and drug companies give up their monopolies and actually compete in something akin to a semi free market, you know that system they claim to love so much? My point was, they may love some of the stuff he does but they may not be nearly as crazy about some of those other, less "let the wealthy and the corporations rule the world" elements of his plans. Or he may "pull a politician" and go back on all of his promises or maybe pick and choose which promises he keeps and which ones he goes back on. He certainly wouldn't be the first one to ever do that, huh?

    Did this do a better job?

  20. #32
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,200
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 894 Times in 633 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    Well one thing we know for certain is that Clinton wasn't going to touch any of that so at least we're giving ourselves a shot at it here with Trump.
    Oh yeah I definitely agree with you about Hilldog, I'm just wondering about how many of those promises he keeps now that he's won, and how some of them will go over with those at the top of the food chain.

    Oh and one other thing. Is "giving ourselves a shot" going to be enough for you if he doesn't follow through with his promises?

  21. #33
    Awaiting a Promotion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 300 Times in 183 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Oh yeah I definitely agree with you about Hilldog, I'm just wondering about how many of those promises he keeps now that he's won, and how some of them will go over with those at the top of the food chain.

    Oh and one other thing. Is "giving ourselves a shot" going to be enough for you if he doesn't follow through with his promises?
    No of course I wont be ok with it and I doubt many people in this country would. Trump said a lot of the right things when it came to policy. He might pull through on his promises and make our lives better. He might pull through on his promises but get stymied by those at the top of the food chain. He might just say "haha jokes on you" and screw us all over. There is plenty of uncertainty just as there is with any president.

    With Hillary the certainty was that the next 4 or 8 years weren't going to do a damn thing for the average person in America. So would you rather give yourself a chance with the first candidate or just concede the loss with the latter candidate and bend over and take it for the next however many years? I'd rather give myself a shot with the unpredictable guy because I just don't see how he could possibly be worse than her. She made her policies perfectly clear and they weren't for the health of the country. They were strictly for votes.

  22. #34
    Voted Worst Poster of 2015
    (Co-Winner)
    NinersSBChamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Prague, MN
    Posts
    12,327
    Thanks
    2,915
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see if there's any kind of trail between the FBI agents in the NYC office and Guiliani. I may be alone, but given how the election played out, I don't think the Comey affair made much, if any, difference. He was in a tough position. Trump rode an undercurrent of anger that I think would have carried him.
    I agree. I don't think Comey swayed this election much, if at all. I do know that there is a rather long history of people who have worked with the Clinton's in some capacity that have all died and some have been a little more mysterious than others. Not saying this is going to happen, but if in the near future something happens to Comey this can of worms will explode.

  23. #35
    Voted Worst Poster of 2015
    (Co-Winner)
    NinersSBChamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Prague, MN
    Posts
    12,327
    Thanks
    2,915
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Just saying. Im not really a Trump fan, but he's going to be much more moderate than people assume.
    A sane person can understand this. The ones crying and acting all pissed off are the ones who will automatically assume the worst about everything. You can't reason with those people.

  24. #36
    It's OVER 5,000! cajunrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    uranus
    Posts
    9,189
    Thanks
    2,616
    Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,554 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was having my doubts that Trump would make America great again but day after he is elected and the mcrib is back. He is off to a good start.
    "State power feeds on crisis and enemies"

    John T. Flynn 1944

  25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

    FreemanFan (11-13-2016),Individual-1 (11-09-2016),Julio3000 (11-09-2016),Prikichi (11-11-2016),thewupk (11-09-2016)

  26. #37
    Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy f***!

  27. #38
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,748
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I guess I didn't explain that very well. I'm sure some of the uber wealthy voted for him, probably quite a few of them. I know this is a stereotype but typically I believe most of the uber wealthy vote Repub, though that's not a 100% thing. Those same types tend to love BS systems like NAFTA and the TPP (2 Repub like arrangements made by Dems) because it helps them make more money, regardless of the cost to their workers.

    Trump has promised to get rid of Obamacare, which would make the happy. He's promised a revised tax setup, which should make them at least somewhat happier, plus he isn't Obama or Hilldog which makes them very happy. But my point was their happiness may fade pretty quickly if he stops them from being able to outsource jobs, hide money overseas and basically screw their workers, not to mention making insurances companies and drug companies give up their monopolies and actually compete in something akin to a semi free market, you know that system they claim to love so much? My point was, they may love some of the stuff he does but they may not be nearly as crazy about some of those other, less "let the wealthy and the corporations rule the world" elements of his plans. Or he may "pull a politician" and go back on all of his promises or maybe pick and choose which promises he keeps and which ones he goes back on. He certainly wouldn't be the first one to ever do that, huh?

    Did this do a better job?
    I'm clearer this time through. The 1% or whatever you want to call them make more money regardless of who is sitting in the white building on Pennsylvania avenue. I just don't see how he can do a tax cut the size he has been touting and increase defense spending at the same time (and not touch Social Security or Medicare) without totally blowing up the deficit. I agree that Mitch McConnell probably won't go along with a lot of the corporate tax loopholes (but he'll still agree to drop the marginal rate).

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (11-09-2016),Julio3000 (11-09-2016)

  29. #39
    Where's My Cup of Coffee? acesfull86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,213
    Thanks
    771
    Thanked 477 Times in 311 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...cs-chapter-one

    If there is any common theme to my predictions, it stems from Trump’s history in franchising his name and putting relatively little capital into many of his business deals. I think his natural instinct will be to look for some quick symbolic victories to satisfy supporters, and then pursue mass popularity with a lot of government benefits, debt and free-lunch thinking. I don’t think the Trump presidency will be recognizable as traditionally conservative or right-wing.

    ---------

    ^^ +1

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

    BedellBrave (11-12-2016)

  31. #40
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,748
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...cs-chapter-one

    If there is any common theme to my predictions, it stems from Trump’s history in franchising his name and putting relatively little capital into many of his business deals. I think his natural instinct will be to look for some quick symbolic victories to satisfy supporters, and then pursue mass popularity with a lot of government benefits, debt and free-lunch thinking. I don’t think the Trump presidency will be recognizable as traditionally conservative or right-wing.

    ---------

    ^^ +1
    Agree. He'll nominate a conservative for the court, probably do some window-dressing things on immigration, and cancel almost all (if not all) of Obama's Executive Orders. After that, I expect the deficit to balloon.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    BedellBrave (11-12-2016)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •