Page 208 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 1081581982062072082092102182583087081208 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,160 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Hold up. Why do you think Russia got involved in Syria to begin with?

You asked me what my solution would be. I replied. I'm curious as to how you derive certainty from that.

Again, I'm still waiting on an alternative from you that isn't entirely comprised of sitting on ones hands.
    Hold up. Why do you think Russia got involved in Syria to begin with?
    They got directly involved, but they were an ally and supporter already, so I think it's a fudge to say that they weren't involved before.

You asked me what my solution would be. I replied. I'm curious as to how you derive certainty from that.
    I can't speak to your certainty, but you make two assumptions which I think are tenuous:

1) That Obama's failure to act necessarily led to a worse outcome, as compared to significant intervention
    2) That invading or eliminating Assad would have necessarily led to a better outcome. Seems like it might just lead to another Iraq, this time with both Iran AND Russia outside the tent, pissing in.

Again, I'm still waiting on an alternative from you that isn't entirely comprised of sitting on ones hands.
    There is no alternative that I strongly favor. I don't think there are any good options, and yes, that is a consequence of Obama's failure to act earlier (and yes, there are still caveats to that statement).

I think that there is no public appetite for large-scale military intervention involving significant American boots on the ground. That's been pretty consistent since the beginning. I think that the urge to just do . . . something. . . may come from the heart but isn't necessarily practical. I'm not enthused about yet anther open-ended commitment in the region. We have how many of those already?

Establishing no-fly and safe zones would require some kind of long-term ground commitment, and would involve conflict and casualties across the board, but it's something that has to be considered, at least. There would certainly be a risk of getting tangled up w/Russia, but less so than if we went full Leeeroy Jenkins. If our European allies and Arab League countries would be willing to commit, it could potentially help put pressure on Assad to get out, which I agree should be the ultimate goal, but not at any price.

Doing nothing is another option, also unappealing. Either way, we're going to be there fighting ISIL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Either are possible. I'd like to wait and see before concluding either is the truth.
    But just as a matter of plausibility, what do you think? A guy with a track record of fabrication makes an unsourced claim about something which he has no reason to know, and you're unwilling to just say "yeah, that doesn't pass the smell test."

That's to say nothing of the substance. Nothing that's been reported supports Trump's wiretapping claims. I've not seen any specific claim of anything that was either illegal or even improper (other than possibly the leak to the WaPo about Flynn, and that remains to be seen). Nunes even said that he saw nothing illegal.

Speaking of Nunes, I wonder why the WH won't let the Intel Committee see the documents that they showed him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    You are right. Believing that is crazy.
    It doesn't matter what I believe. Actual business owners and investors believe this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    "A White House official said that Bannon was placed on the committee in part to monitor Trump’s first national security adviser, Michael Flynn, and never attended a meeting. He’s no longer needed with McMaster in charge of the council, the official said."

So they are straight-up saying they appointed a national security advisor who needed a minder? What a goat rodeo.

Same official says "we all knew Flynn had issues."

Classic.
    Last edited by Julio3000; 04-05-2017 at 11:13 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-05-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    It doesn't matter what I believe. Actual business owners and investors believe this
    What's a "business"??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    can anyone explain this ?

.@marcorubio says Assad had "incentive to act with impunity” after Tillerson’s remarks on Syria shifting US posture.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    can anyone explain this ?

.@marcorubio says Assad had "incentive to act with impunity” after Tillerson’s remarks on Syria shifting US posture.
    I think that Tillerson's statement was an aggravating factor and an unnecessary sop to Russia, but Assad has long enjoyed the ability to act with impunity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    What did he say ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    But just as a matter of plausibility, what do you think? A guy with a track record of fabrication makes an unsourced claim about something which he has no reason to know, and you're unwilling to just say "yeah, that doesn't pass the smell test."

That's to say nothing of the substance. Nothing that's been reported supports Trump's wiretapping claims. I've not seen any specific claim of anything that was either illegal or even improper (other than possibly the leak to the WaPo about Flynn, and that remains to be seen). Nunes even said that he saw nothing illegal.

Speaking of Nunes, I wonder why the WH won't let the Intel Committee see the documents that they showed him?
    I understand what it looks like. I'm just saying to wait for the facts to come out before passing jusgement. Susan rice needs to be supeonaed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I understand what it looks like. I'm just saying to wait for the facts to come out before passing jusgement. Susan rice needs to be supeonaed
    Just so we're on the same page, what is it that you're alleging she did wrong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Just so we're on the same page, what is it that you're alleging she did wrong?
    Involved in the leaking of classifield surveillance. Names were unmasked and then leaked. Watch was her involvement in that? What did Obama know.

Also, why exactly were they surveillance for over a year? Was the information they had at the time sufficient for unmasking the names?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    seriously, when will agent orange stop campaigning and stop talking about the election?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Involved in the leaking of classifield surveillance.
    Oh, when was that?

Names were unmasked and then leaked. Watch was her involvement in that?
    I referenced the Flynn leak to the WaPo. That's potentially legit. Are there others that you know about? And is leaking the Flynn story, which brought to light his untruthfulness and led to his firing, the most noteworthy story here? And, FWIW, the WSJ has reported that she wasn't involved in l'affaire Flynn.

What did Obama know.
    About what? The only crime you've credibly alleged happened after he was no longer President.

Also, why exactly were they surveillance for over a year?
    Nobody has said that "they" were. Nunes said names were unmasked, or even guessed by context, in the course of legal surveillance, not that "they" were under surveillance.

But perhaps they were talking to the subjects of criminal or counterintelligence investigations, or to foreign nationals who were legally under surveillance. What reason is there to believe otherwise?

Was the information they had at the time sufficient for unmasking the names?
    I'll repeat: that's not the National Security Advisor's call. That's decided by the intelligence agencies.
    Last edited by Julio3000; 04-05-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'll wait till the facts come out. Nobody knows the truth right now and we are going to believe what we want

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Trump Says He Thinks Susan Rice Committed a Crime, Isn’t Sure Which One
    By Osita Nwanevu
    656982292-president-donald-trump-holds-a-listening-session-on
    Donald Trump at the White House on March 23.

Molly Riley/Pool/Getty Images

In a Wednesday interview with the New York Times, President Trump accused former national security adviser Susan Rice of having committed a crime by requesting the "unmasking" of the names of Trump associates who were caught up in the legal surveillance of foreign targets. Unmasking can be done legally, and Trump did not say specifically what crime Rice may have committed; he also accused other Obama officials, vaguely, of involvement in nefarious activities. From the Times:

He declined to say if he had personally reviewed new intelligence to bolster his claim but pledged to explain himself “at the right time." ... When asked if Ms. Rice, who has denied leaking the names of Trump associates under surveillance by United States intelligence agencies, had committed a crime, the president said, “Do I think? Yes, I think.”

Trump also took time during the interview to defend Fox News host Bill O’Reilly, who is currently under fire over a Times report that several sexual assault lawsuits against him that were quietly settled. “I think he’s a person I know well—he is a good person,” he told the Times’ Glenn Thrush and Maggie Haberman. “I think he shouldn’t have settled; personally I think he shouldn’t have settled.”

Osita Nwanevu is a Slate editorial assistant.

Slate

If you voted for this train wreck please .... ah never mind
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'll wait till the facts come out. Nobody knows the truth right now and we are going to believe what we want
    That's fine. I'll be glad to see her testify if asked.

Just so we're clear: the investigation into Russian interference in the election and possible Trump campaign collusion is based on multiple FBI investigations and two Republican-led congressional committees. What you're alleging about Susan Rice is so far based on Hannity, Breitbart, the Washington Times, and the Daily Caller. So, yeah. We'll wait 'til the facts come out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,325 Posts

What you're alleging about Susan Rice is so far based on Hannity, Breitbart, the Washington Times, and the Daily Caller. So, yeah. We'll wait 'til the facts come out.
    While I agree that all of this Susan Rice stuff could be nonsense you can't go by who's covering it to determine what's real and what's not real. When a democrat gets in trouble the media circles the wagons. There is horrible bias in the media.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    While I agree that all of this Susan Rice stuff could be nonsense you can't go by who's covering it to determine what's real and what's not real. When a democrat gets in trouble the media circles the wagons. There is horrible bias in the media.
    Fair enough, but I'm not going by who's covering it, per se. I'm going by what they're writing. They're either (in the case of the Daily Caller) making unsupported and unsourced allegations of wrongdoing, or conflating routine legal activity with criminality and conspiracy. Three could be more to come, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    That's fine. I'll be glad to see her testify if asked.

Just so we're clear: the investigation into Russian interference in the election and possible Trump campaign collusion is based on multiple FBI investigations and two Republican-led congressional committees. What you're alleging about Susan Rice is so far based on Hannity, Breitbart, the Washington Times, and the Daily Caller. So, yeah. We'll wait 'til the facts come out.
    Well that's because trumps case has been investigated for months and still no evidence has surfaced. The Susan rice investigation is a relatively new case so why would you expect your fact pattern to be any differebt?