Page 266 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 1662162562642652662672682763163667661266 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,320 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    And, I might humbly suggest, that in previous generations, the younger crowd was in favor of ending Jim Crow and Vietnam, so maybe a bit of pandering is in order.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    It's painfully ironic that Trump's decision here has spawned the kind of intense public discourse that never earnestly occurred when the pact was being negotiated.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Runnin (06-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It's painfully ironic that Trump's decision here has spawned the kind of intense public discourse that never earnestly occurred when the pact was being negotiated.
    Think that depends on where you're sitting.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    The Paris Accord will do for climate change what the War on Drugs has done for Drugs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    A list of excuses from Hilary on why she lost... personal accountability isn't much of a thing from the left... "ah the left"

1. Former FBI Director James Comey​

"[A]s I explain in my book, you know, the Comey letter, which was, now we know, partly based on a false memo from the Russians. It was a classic piece of Russian disinformation — comprimat, they call it. So, for whatever reason, and I speculate, but I can’t look inside the guy’s mind, you know, he dumps that on me on October 28th, and I immediately start falling," said Hillary.

2. Sexism

"Men got paid for the speeches they made, and I got paid for the speeches I made. It was used, I thought it was unfairly used, and all of that, but it was part of the background music," whined Hillary.

She also said, "I never said I was a perfect candidate, and I certainly have never said I ran perfect campaigns, but I don't know who is or did. And at some point it sort of bleeds into misogyny."

3. The electoral system

"I beat them both," Hillary told New York Magazine, speaking of her irrelevant popular vote win against Trump and her primary win-by-Super-Delegates to Bernie Sanders.

4. WikiLeaks

​NY Magazine reports: "Clinton says she thinks she 'underestimated WikiLeaks and the impact that had, because I thought it was so silly.' Those hacked emails, dripped out over weeks, says Clinton, 'were innocuous, boring, inconsequential. And each one was played like it was some breathless flash. And so you got Trump, in the last month of the campaign, talking about WikiLeaks something like 164 times..."

5. "Minions"

"Clinton says she thinks she 'underestimated WikiLeaks and the impact that had, because I thought it was so silly.' Those hacked emails, dripped out over weeks, says Clinton, 'were innocuous, boring, inconsequential," reported New York Magazine. "And each one was played like it was some breathless flash. And so you got Trump, in the last month of the campaign, talking about WikiLeaks something like 164 times; you’ve got all his minions out there, you’ve got the right-wing media just blowing it up. You’ve got Google searches off the charts.'"

6. Right-wing media

"They have a mission," said Hillary of right-wing media. "They use the rights given to them under the First Amendment to advocate a set of policies that are in their interests, their commercial, corporate, religious interests. Because the advocacy media occupies the right, and the center needs to be focused on providing as accurate information as possible. Not both-sides-ism and not false equivalency."

7. Mainstream media

Hillary complained, "But what was really interesting, since the mainstream media covered that, as I say like Pearl Harbor, front pages everywhere, huge type, etc."

8. Democratic National Committee

"I had to inject money into it -- the DNC -- to keep it going," she said.

9. Democrat Party

"Let me just do a comparison for you. I set up my campaign and we have our own data operation. I get the nomination. So I’m now the nominee of the Democratic Party. I inherit nothing from the Democratic Party," cried the former secretary of state. "I mean it was bankrupt, it was on the verge of insolvency, its data was mediocre to poor, nonexistent, wrong. I had to inject money into it."

10. 1,000 Russian agents

"If you look at Facebook, the vast majority of the news items posted were fake. They were connected to, as we now know, the 1,000 Russian agents who were involved in delivering those messages," she said.

11. Vladimir Putin

"Putin wants to bring us down," she said. "And he is an old KGB agent. I had, obviously, run-ins with him, because that in large measure prompted his animus toward me, and his desire to help Trump."

12. Donald Trump

When Hillary was asked if she believed Trump was colluding with the Russians, she replied: "Yes ... yes. I’m leaning Trump. I think it’s pretty hard not to."

13. Republican-enabled voter suppression

"You had effective suppression of votes. Those of us who can remember the Voting Rights Act, the expansion of the franchise, and then I was in the Senate when we voted 98 to nothing under a Republican president, George W. Bush, to extend the Voting Rights Act," said Hillary.

"And the Supreme Court said, 'Oh, we don’t need it anymore,' throws it out, and Republican governors and legislatures began doing everything they could to suppress the vote."

14. Citizens United

"You had Citizens United come to its full fruition. So unaccountable money flowing in against me, against other Democrats, in a way that we hadn’t seen and then attached to this weaponized information war," complained the failed candidate.

15. Facebook

"And there have been some studies done since the election that if you look — let’s pick Facebook. If you look at Facebook, the vast majority of the news items posted were fake."

16. "Millions" of Twitter bots

"We see now this new information about Trump’s Twitter account being populated by millions of bots," said Hillary.

17. Steve Bannon

"So Bannon, who’d been running the Breitbart operation, supplying a lot of the ... untrue, false stories," Hillary said.

18. Netflix

Yes, Hillary even blamed Neflix: "Go to Netflix and say you want to see a political documentary, eight of the top 10 — last time I checked a few weeks ago — were screeds against President Obama or me, or both of us."

"Now, I love Netflix. We’re not making the documentaries that we’re going to get onto Netflix," she added.

19. "Alt-right" media like Infowars

"And they began to have some of their allies within the internet world, like Infowars, take out pieces and begin to say the most outrageous, outlandish, absurd lies you could imagine," whined Hillary.

20. Bernie Sanders

The Washington Examiner reports:

"To what extent do you assign blame to Bernie Sanders, to media for focusing on emails – " Kristoff started to ask.

"How much time do we have?" Clinton laughed after checking her watch.

21. Suburban women

22. Racism/Xenophobia

"Trump does have a visceral grasp of the American politcal underbelly; he really understands how to inflame people," explained Hillary, "whatever resentment, or point of anger you may have, he can get into it -- whether it's race, xenophobia, or Islamophobia, whatever it is."

23. "Anti-American forces"

"I take responsibility for every decision I made, but that's not why I lost," she said. "Anti-American forces are going after our economy and they are going after our unity as a nation."

24. Bad polling

"Guided by Americans and guided by people who had polling and data information," Hillary said.

25. Low-information voters

26. Content farms in Macedonia

"You know, there’s all these stories of guys over in Macedonia who are running these fake news sites and I’ve seen them now and you sit there and it looks like a sort of low-level CNN operation," Hillary said, after decrying these Macedonia's "content farms."

27. Fake news

"The other side was using content that was just flat-out false, and delivering it in a very personalized way, both sort of above the radar screen and below. And you know, look, I’m not a tech expert by any stretch of the imagination. That really influenced the information that people were relying on," Hillary said.

28. Colluding Trump campaign officials

"We're getting more information about all of the contacts between Trump campaign officials and Trump associates with Russians before, during and after the election," said Hillary.

29. Stupid Americans who can't tell the difference between real and "fake news"

30. The "broad assumption I was going to win"

"I also think I was the victim of a very broad assumption I was going to win. 'It doesn’t matter what you do to her ...'"

31. Goosefer

"You know, basically the group running this was the GRU which is the military intelligence arm of the Russian military and they have a very sophisticated cyber operation, in bed with WikiLeaks, in bed with Goosefer, in bed with DC Leaks," said Hillary.

32. DCLeaks

"​And you know, DC Leaks and Goosefer, which were dropping a lot of this stuff on me, they haven’t done anything since early January. Their job was done," she said. "They got their job done."

33. Data from the Republican National Committee

"I think that the marriage of the domestic fake news operations, the domestic RNC Republican allied data, you know, combined with the very affective capabilities that the Russians brought," said the Democrat.

34. Technology

"And what we saw was, in the election particularly, and I appreciate what Walt said, the first time that you had the tech revolution really weaponized politically — before it was a way to reach voters, you know, collect fundraising, do things that would help the candidate who was behind the messaging — that changed this time, and it changed for a number of reasons we should talk about," said Hillary.

35. The FBI

36. The GRU

"You know, basically the group running this was the GRU which is the military intelligence arm of the Russian military and they have a very sophisticated cyber operation," complained Hillary, "in bed with WikiLeaks, in bed with Goosefer, in bed with DC Leaks."

37. Deplorables

"And all of the Trump people go around screaming, 'Lock her up, lock her up,' and all of that," cried Hillary.

38. Team Hillary was too honest

"And we did not engage in false content," she said. "We may have tried to put every piece of information in the best possible light, and explanations, but we weren’t in the same category as the other side."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (06-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Think that depends on where you're sitting.
    You really think Joe the Plumber knew what the Paris accord even was before this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    In response to a NY Post headline: “TRUMP TO WORLD: DROP DEAD, Decides to hell with science, Earth’s future.”

Yet, rather than allowing people to freely choose and coordinate their own plans in our common struggle against nature, too many people first brand other people as the problem. Too many would rather rely on commanding and controlling others to fix humanity’s wicked problems than freely solve the problem themselves. Too many conflate the government’s failure to act as society signaling we are resigned to do nothing—thus, the weeping and gnashing of teeth over Donald Trump’s recent decision.

I find all the hysterics and tears of hubris laughable. This mindset deserves to be mocked for its lack of imagination and obsequious acceptance of corporate cronyism and global governance as the only path to the future; it deserves to be mocked for claiming the singular appearance of “doing something” (without much effect) is better than actually tackling the problem from many different directions; it deserves to be mocked even on environmental activist grounds as a list of empty promises and half-measures, as a perversion of the cause, just as a free trader may mock NAFTA or an anti-war activist may mock Barack Obama receiving the Nobel Peace Prize; and it deserves to be mocked for how little it respects the ability of average people to change their station and adapt to the changing world on their own without the pretentious prodding of government leaders.

I’m willing to bet the existence of the entire human race that without the Paris Climate Accord, we will rise to meet the challenge of climate change successfully. Further, if we would shrink government generally—i.e. give average people the freedom to think and trade as they wish in the energy sector or any other industry—then by the accord’s own target year of 2100, the market (which is simply free people trading and producing as they wish based on their own enlightenment) will have reduced carbon emissions and given us new technologies beyond the wildest dreams of those now bemoaning the U.S. withdrawal from the Paris Climate Accord.

In fact, the U.S. clean energy sector has grown leaps and bounds in only the last few years despite the lack of a robust central plan. Coal is already giving way to cleaner forms of energy and will continue to do so no matter what Donald Trump promises the miners of West Virginia. And the fact that there is this burgeoning clean energy industry does not mean we should engage in crony capitalism and wealth redistribution between nations to “prime the pump.” Picking winners and losers in the clean energy sector is just as bad as doing so in any other sector (including the fossil fuels industry.). Must we really kowtow to corporations and their client states by granting them government privileges and sweetheart deals to create new technologies they already have enough incentive to create anyway?

No, if we wish to solve the climate change problem, I suggest we try, first and foremost, to create products and services that will actually make people’s lives better immediately rather than imposing immense costs upfront with no clear time horizon wherein we reap the benefits. Just as one need not convince people of evolution before they take vaccines or life-saving drugs, there’s no need to convince people of the science of climate change if you can sell them a better, cheaper, cleaner, and more practical way to power their lives. Shaming, lecturing, and trying to control people’s behavior through the political process for unclear results and opaque benefits is not serving this cause well, as sound as the science and as noble as the cause may be.

Ironically enough, Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris accord may very well usher in a new era of initiative absent the federal government. After Trump’s decision, many industry leaders, mayors, and governors pledged to pursue solutions to climate change absent the federal government. As the CEO of General Electric Jeff Immelt tweeted, “Climate change is real. Industry must now lead and not depend on government.”

That’s the spirit, Jeff, but my only question is: what the hell have you been waiting for?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-02-2017)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The Paris Accord will do for climate change what the War on Drugs has done for Drugs
    which is NOTHING but a waste of money. I wonder if we can stay in and not give them a dime. We always foot most of the bill.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (06-02-2017)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Did not want to quote your article Sturg, but brilliant.

Forcing public entities to create climate change is the road to take as they have the most to gain without government intrusion. I think the world is pissed because they want to take more money from us like they always do. Eff them, I say, we can't carry all of your asses all the time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (06-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    A new law in Georgia requiring food stamp recipients to find work has led to a 62 percent drop in enrollment. Over 7,000 residence have withdrawn from food stamp benefits since the requirement was implemented. (via The Atlantic Journal-Constitution)

The new rules require anyone who is able-bodied and child-free to work at least 20 hours a week, be enrolled in a work training program, or volunteer at a state-approved non-profit group (or charity).

Over 11,000 food stamp recipients were targeted in the second phase of the work requirement roll out. About 100,000 food stamp recipients are able bodied and without children across Georgia.

The program was originally launched in January 2016. Three counties were selected as a trial for the changes, and administrators noticed a 60 percent drop in enrollment among the targeted groups.

The work requirements have now been spread to 21 additional counties, and the state plans to extend the program across all of Georgia before the end of 2019.

“This is about protecting taxpayer dollars from abuse, and taking people off the cycle of dependency,” said State Representative Greg Morris. The drop in enrollment, he claims, “shows how tax dollars are abused when it comes to entitlements.”

Georgia has seen a sharp decline in the number of able-bodied beneficiaries of food stamps without children. Over the last year, more than 20,000 able-bodied Georgians dropped out of the welfare program.

Democrats are objecting to the work-requirements, which they consider cruel. Critics claim that the rule change will target the disabled, who are unable to hold meaningful employment. However, the work-requirement only targets those who are capable of holding a job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    A new law in Georgia requiring food stamp recipients to find work has led to a 62 percent drop in enrollment. Over 7,000 residence have withdrawn from food stamp benefits since the requirement was implemented. (via The Atlantic Journal-Constitution)

The new rules require anyone who is able-bodied and child-free to work at least 20 hours a week, be enrolled in a work training program, or volunteer at a state-approved non-profit group (or charity).

Over 11,000 food stamp recipients were targeted in the second phase of the work requirement roll out. About 100,000 food stamp recipients are able bodied and without children across Georgia.

The program was originally launched in January 2016. Three counties were selected as a trial for the changes, and administrators noticed a 60 percent drop in enrollment among the targeted groups.

The work requirements have now been spread to 21 additional counties, and the state plans to extend the program across all of Georgia before the end of 2019.

“This is about protecting taxpayer dollars from abuse, and taking people off the cycle of dependency,” said State Representative Greg Morris. The drop in enrollment, he claims, “shows how tax dollars are abused when it comes to entitlements.”

Georgia has seen a sharp decline in the number of able-bodied beneficiaries of food stamps without children. Over the last year, more than 20,000 able-bodied Georgians dropped out of the welfare program.

Democrats are objecting to the work-requirements, which they consider cruel. Critics claim that the rule change will target the disabled, who are unable to hold meaningful employment. However, the work-requirement only targets those who are capable of holding a job.
    Should be rolled out for the entire country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I've always said that if we must have welfare, then recipients must be required to perform 20 hours of community service per week.

And the left has generally (not always) mocked that idea

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-03-2017), cajunrevenge (06-02-2017)

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    There's nothing bad about welfare, it's necessary in lots of cases, but like most things government run, it's overly abused and no accountability.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    I live in Georgia and see it abused constantly, even by Trump voters who blindly follow him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I live in Georgia and see it abused constantly, even by Trump voters who blindly follow him.
    No matter who the culprit all abusers should be depth with. Don't steal from me.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-03-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I've always said that if we must have welfare, then recipients must be required to perform 20 hours of community service per week.

Not entirely against this.
    Forever Fredi

25. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    You really think Joe the Plumber knew what the Paris accord even was before this?
    I doubt he does now, effectively.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

THe problem with that system is what about the people who can't work. Also are you willing to spend a more government money to set up these community service systems, and hire people to monitor the situation?
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR