Page 32 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442821325321032 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I don't like what Trump did here. He basically used the power of the federal government to compel Carrier to keep jobs in the US.
    How?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    How?
    United Technologies, Carrier's parent company, gets about 10% of its revenue from the federal government, according to the WSJ. I find it hard to believe he didn't play this card. Also, the threat of tariff to Carrier was significant.
    thank you weso1!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    First off, you are mixing "compell" which means to force with "compelling" which means to illicit interest. But that's not the big problem with your answer.

It depends on how one views their place in the cosmos. Henry Ford (screwball anti-Semite though he was) turned the business world on its head at Ford plants throughout the country when he paid much higher wages than the competition. I paraphrase, but when Ford was asked why he paid what he paid, his response was basically "I want my workers to be able to afford what they build."

Now granted, that was almost a century ago and the world of consumer products has changed dramatically, but there's no question that Carrier would survive if it remained in the United States even without subsidies. Maybe some folks in the upper reaches don't do as well and investors don't do as well either (which is the biggest problem we face in our economy), but paying workers a decent wage and keeping the doors open shouldn't be the arduous task many make it out to be.
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier for some reason.

I'm not mixing my definitions. I defined 'compel' in my original post with respect to businesses being forced to act out of their own self-interest (or the interest of their share/stake-holders) to compete and grow.

In my subsequent post I used 'compelling' to describe the obvious incentives behind outsourcing labor.

Yeah, Carrier would survive. But when you run a company in a capitalist country your goal isn't survival. It's to make as much money as possible.

Ford raised wages because he was losing money on skilled worker turnover. He also built Fordlandia to save a buck. He was a brilliant businessman, but not a patron saint.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    He'll probably be better than Obama. Of course that's not saying much.
    congrats on saying something really stupid
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    United Technologies, Carrier's parent company, gets about 10% of its revenue from the federal government, according to the WSJ. I find it hard to believe he didn't play this card. Also, the threat of tariff to Carrier was significant.
    I mean that's plausible but it's also a little far-flung. If he truly had them over a barrel don't you think he would have just demanded Carrier keep all of its jobs in the US?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Don't like Trump meddling with the market... he doesn't seem to understand basic economics.

And what's to stop more companies threatening to leave in order to get a better tax deal?

Just make policy that is business friendly and the rest will take care of itself.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (12-05-2016), cajunrevenge (12-05-2016), Garmel (12-04-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Yeah, Carrier would survive. But when you run a company in a capitalist country your goal isn't survival. It's to make as much money as possible.
    I apologize for butting in and I promise to be brief, but this is without a doubt where I have the biggest problems with conservatives and free market types. Sure people in business are in it to make a profit but when there is not limit to what they will do to make a profit and there's limit to their greed and willingness to give into it then there's my problem and for anyone who's looking for the #1 reason why this country has already started down the slippery slope to hell you need look no further.

Again, my apologies. We now take you back to your regular programming. :)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    congrats on saying something really stupid
    I wouldn't say something stupid. That's yours and 57's job.
    Last edited by Garmel; 12-04-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I apologize for butting in and I promise to be brief, but this is without a doubt where I have the biggest problems with conservatives and free market types. Sure people in business are in it to make a profit but when there is not limit to what they will do to make a profit and there's limit to their greed and willingness to give into it then there's my problem and for anyone who's looking for the #1 reason why this country has already started down the slippery slope to hell you need look no further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I mean that's plausible but it's also a little far-flung. If he truly had them over a barrel don't you think he would have just demanded Carrier keep all of its jobs in the US?
    Why would Carrier care at all if Trump didn't have leverage?

I'm not convinced Trump knew about the other jobs and I don't think his team, who probably knew, cared about the other jobs. Trump's team pushed the propaganda.
    thank you weso1!

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post

It is much better for the middle class employees and investors of that company if they are making as much money as possible.

I can't grasp why this is such a challenging concept for so many

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (12-08-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I wouldn't say something stupid. That's yours and 57's job.
    nice, the "i'm rubber, you're glue" retort

good job garmel
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    nice, the "i'm rubber, you're glue" retort

good job garmel
    Thanks, goldfly. I'm looking forward to the next 4-8 years of your childish, looney meltdowns while Trump is in office. It'll definitely be entertaining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    overall, it isn't though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Thanks, goldfly. I'm looking forward to the next 4-8 years of your childish, looney meltdowns while Trump is in office. It'll definitely be entertaining.
    oh garmel, come on

you honestly can't be rooting for this loser fascist to be around for 8 years

even your i'm rubber you're glue dumbass can't believe he can be good for the overall good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    But at this point I'm willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt
    why though?

i honestly don't get it

what he has said and then surrounded himself around with obviously shows he has no desire to actually do any good or "drain the swamp"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I'm buckled in and enjoying the ride to hell. It's enjoyable watching the regressive left show every bit of its collective ass while at the same time Trump destroys conservatism.
    uh, ok

a weird take but will take that you know he is awful at least and it hasn't even begun

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    oh garmel, come on

you honestly can't be rooting for this loser fascist to be around for 8 years

even your i'm rubber you're glue dumbass can't believe he can be good for the overall good
    I'm not sure yet but like Hawk said I plan on giving him the benefit of the doubt. However, calling him a "loser fascist" makes me realize your opinions can't be taken seriously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I'm not sure yet but like Hawk said I plan on giving him the benefit of the doubt. However, calling him a "loser fascist" makes me realize your opinions can't be taken seriously.
    oh poor garmel

we will find you a save space while the others talk

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    why though?

i honestly don't get it

what he has said and then surrounded himself around with obviously shows he has no desire to actually do any good or "drain the swamp"
    He's definitely off to a horrible start (well, preparing to start).

Though, should note that his mistakes are generally poor optics, not necessarily significant. This is what I expect the next four years to be. Bad imaging with no accomplishment one way or another.