Thread: The Trump Presidency

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Still think Christie gets AG and Gingrich possibly Chief of Staff.

AG sets Christie up better for a run later.
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Still think Christie gets AG and Gingrich possibly Chief of Staff.

AG sets Christie up better for a run later.
    I would think Newt for Chief of Staff too, but I heard on the radio tonight a guy saying he had heard (I have no idea who he was, I was traveling and trying to find a station that I could actually hear) that Trump was learning towards the guy who is in charge of the Breitbart site now as his Chief of Staff. I don't know if this is true but I thought I would pass it along.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    State: Corker
    AG: Trey Gowdy
    Defense: Flynn
    HHS: Carson
    Treasury: Not sure, but a guy that Trump knows from Wall Street most likely. Not sure he goes with a pol here.

Chief of Staff: Christie

Non-cabinet:
    FBI: Giuliani (DHS also a good guess)
    Press Secretary: Conway?
    UN Ambassador: Gingrich
    Huh. Gowdy isn't a name I'd heard in that context before. Don't think he really has the seasoning for that.

He could do a lot worse than Corker at State.

I'd guess that Chris Christie having two key staffers convicted of some pretty epic ****ery would probably preclude him from being Chief of Staff, but hey, he's transition boss, so what the hell do I know? I do think he's more likely to end up there than in a position that would require Senate confirmation.

Rudy can probably pick his spot by virtue of loyalty and resume, but he might not want to take the pay cut.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Yeah in terms of ass-kissing, nobody delivered more than Christie other than Guiliani. Guiliani actually stayed on message more than Pence even on the ridiculous things coming from Trump.

I think Rudy leans to FBI or HSD. He's talked about his firm working on cyber security already.

I would think Christie gets AG just from being a federal attorney already.

Conway is probably Press Secretary. She's already been doing it for Trump on shows like Gibbs was doing for Obama in 08 campaign.
    Forever Fredi

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I think Christie is definitely qualified to be AG but after Bridgegate those optics would look horrible. That being said, Trump is notoriously loyal to his people and apparently was dead set on Christie as his VP until the very last minute, so I do think that Chris will get a plumb position at the very least.

Read that Corey Lewandowski is being considered as RNC chair. That would be weird. As would Bannon as Chief of Staff (as OK mentioned in an earlier post and confirmed by the Times).

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Does he have to offer Nikki Haley a position (knowing she'd turn it down) to act inclusive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Trump mentioned infrastructure in his acceptance speech. Has he finally pivoted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Angela Merkel says "Hi":

“Germany’s ties with the United States of America are deeper than with any country outside of the European Union. Germany and America are bound by common values — democracy, freedom, as well as respect for the rule of law and the dignity of each and every person, regardless of their origin, skin color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or political views. It is based on these values that I wish to offer close cooperation, both with me personally and between our countries’ governments.”

Her deputy chancellor, Sigmar Gabriel, was far more blunt:
    “Trump is the trailblazer of a new authoritarian and chauvinist international movement. … They want a rollback to the bad old times in which women belonged by the stove or in bed, gays in jail and unions at best at the side table. And he who doesn’t keep his mouth shut gets publicly bashed.”

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Angela Merkel says "Hi":

“Germany’s ties with the United States of America are deeper than with any country outside of the European Union. Germany and America are bound by common values — democracy, freedom, as well as respect for the rule of law and the dignity of each and every person, regardless of their origin, skin color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or political views. It is based on these values that I wish to offer close cooperation, both with me personally and between our countries’ governments.”

Her deputy chancellor, Sigmar Gabriel, was far more blunt:
    “Trump is the trailblazer of a new authoritarian and chauvinist international movement. … They want a rollback to the bad old times in which women belonged by the stove or in bed, gays in jail and unions at best at the side table. And he who doesn’t keep his mouth shut gets publicly bashed.”
    Those darn fun loving Germans! :)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    If I were the Dems, I'd be wary of the rhetoric post-election. Obviously there is nothing anyone can do about what the German deputy chancellor says publicly, but when people are concerned about gays being thrown in jail for being gay, you're setting an awfully low bar for President Trump.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    If I were the Dems, I'd be wary of the rhetoric post-election. Obviously there is nothing anyone can do about what the German deputy chancellor says publicly, but when people are concerned about gays being thrown in jail for being gay, you're setting an awfully low bar for President Trump.
    True but as you correctly stated in another thread nobody ever seems to learn from past mistakes or "less than brilliant statements" their own or their opponents. Maybe it's that we as a nation have gotten so used to having our way that we just can't control our emotions or our mouths when one of those rare occasions comes up where we don't.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Those darn fun loving Germans! :)
    I guess they'd know a bit about fascism, but I don't see Trump as any more or less fascist than a lot of folks on the left and right running around. This is overblown, but I don't think Trump will go over that big in Europe for a lot of reasons. That said, Trump isn't the head of the European Union so I don't know how concerned he will be with the reaction.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    i truly hope Trump makes an effort to get along with Putin.

This will be spun as a bad thing. but we sure could use good relations there

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    i truly hope Trump makes an effort to get along with Putin.

This will be spun as a bad thing. but we sure could use good relations there
    I agree, but I think that is what has Europe very worried. Not living in Europe, I don't know if that's warranted or not. I imagine they are pretty worried in the Ukraine. They are probably as worried as William Kristol, who likely hosted a neocon cry-in.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    So, apparently Christie is out of his leadership role for the transition team, replaced by Pence.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Seems that son-in-law Kushner is being prepped to be Chief of Staff.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Seems that son-in-law Kushner is being prepped to be Chief of Staff.
    Anti-nepotism laws? Please?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Huh. Gowdy isn't a name I'd heard in that context before. Don't think he really has the seasoning for that.
    Trump mentioned him as a candidate for the position back in July. I'm not sure about qualifications - but I think a case could be made, although the confirmation hearings would be a doozy.

Thought you might find this interesting: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/t...cb2ef32cd.html

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Anti-nepotism laws? Please?
    Do you feel the same about JFK making his brother attorney general despite having no experience at all?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    U.S. President-elect Donald Trump told the Wall Street Journal he would consider leaving in place parts of the Affordable Care Act, including provisions allowing parents to keep older children on their insurance and prohibiting insurers from denying coverage for pre-existing condition..

In his first interview since Tuesday's election, Trump said a big reason for his shift from his call for an all-out repeal was his meeting Thursday with President Barack Obama, who suggested areas of the Affordable Care Act to preserve.

"I told him I will look at his suggestions, and out of respect, I will do that," the Journal quoted Trump as saying.

(Writing by Eric Beech; Editing by David Alexander)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...cid=spartanntp

Chris Bricker · Occupational Therapist at Self-Employed
    This is laughable. He is backtracking now because those portions of ACA are embedded as law and cannot be repealed. He can reconcile things like mandatory requirements, subsidies, and tax penalties for non-purchase. He cannot get rid of the donut hole elimination in Medicare (good thing), pre-existing conditions and the ability to carry adult children till 26. You should have been aware of this before thinking that the whole thing, carte blanche, was going away. You cannot repeal, you can only reconcile thru budgetary means. He can do away with Medicaid subsidies as well, and most likely will. Everyone's insurance is going up, not just ACA. Hope you all have affordable health care prior to 2017.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.