Page 475 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 375425465473474475476477485525575975 ... LastLast
Results 9,481 to 9,500 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The tax plan appears to help everyone
    I'm not a fan of the double standard deduction. It makes my comparative advantage of itemizing smaller. So in essence I have less money than the rest of the population if the plan goes through. Also, if they do away with state and local deductions than thats another negative for me.

But in general I'm in favor of tax cuts as I believe the long term growth of the econcomy is the most important thing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Wonder if we will see any more kneeling for the anthem.
    The backlash against the kneeling protests completely ignores what it is about, which has nothing to do with the flag. Americans are too dumb to sustain democracy. Is the police state here already?
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Wonder if we will see any more kneeling for the anthem.
    Probably not as much. What we might see is another method of protesting and I'm sure people will still bitch and go on another one of their boycotts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Probably not as much. What we might see is another method of protesting and I'm sure people will still bitch and go on another one of their boycotts.
    I'm fine with any issue that wants to be protested especially something like police brutality. What I do mind is having it shoved down my throat by using a game tens of millions of people love as a conduit. Nobody is tuning in to watch protests. Quite the contrary - People are tuning out because of the protests.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    The backlash against the kneeling protests completely ignores what it is about, which has nothing to do with the flag. Americans are too dumb to sustain democracy. Is the police state here already?
    The backlash is because we the public are being forced to watch because we love football. That is why people are turning away.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I'm fine with any issue that wants to be protested especially something like police brutality. What I do mind is having it shoved down my throat by using a game tens of millions of people love as a conduit. Nobody is tuning in to watch protests. Quite the contrary - People are tuning out because of the protests.
    And the anthem is played before the game. The players do their thing and then they move on and play the game. All of these folks upset, do they stand up in their living rooms and at the bars, hold their hands over their heart and be quiet? Is this really the issue, and is this really "being shoved down your throat?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    And the anthem is played before the game. The players do their thing and then they move on and play the game. All of these folks upset, do they stand up in their living rooms and at the bars, hold their hands over their heart and be quiet? Is this really the issue, and is this really "being shoved down your throat?"
    It is being shoved down our throat because the coverage of the game also includes the protests and how awful the president is.

This is not a political event but it is being turned into one.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    You're right. I think the majority of fans that don't like this are misdirecting their anger at the players instead of at the media outlets that devote so much coverage to it. The odds are pretty good that none of us would have ever known about Kaepernick's protest if ESPN (or whoever it was, I don't know) hadn't made a story out of it. Fans want to turn the TV on at 1 PM Sunday and forget about the world for a few hours of a football game. Watching people listen to the national anthem probably isn't high on their list of priorities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Are you even capable of stopping and thinking for a minute that the coverage happened last weekend because of what Trump said in Alabama at another one of his campaign rallies? He is the one that decided to make this a "political event." Kaepernick started this last year. Preseason if I remember correctly, when Obama was president. It died down as the year went on. Then, our president, who is supposed to be the leader of this country, calls people exercising their freedoms, not harming or intimidating anyone, a son of a bitch. Do you think that athletes, owners, etc. were just going to lie down and take that? Now, we have this stir-crazy debate over the flag, what is and isn't against code and what it means to be patriotic. There have been no meaningful discussions about the real issues, just deflection after deflection and faux-outrage "boycotts." What better platform do these guys have than when people from all backgrounds are converging together to watch? I guarantee you as sure as the sky is blue, if the first knee had never been taken during the anthem and players instead help up a black power sign during a TD celebration, or ran out of the tunnel with a sign, people would find something else wrong with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Are you even capable of stopping and thinking for a minute that the coverage happened last weekend because of what Trump said in Alabama at another one of his campaign rallies? He is the one that decided to make this a "political event." Kaepernick started this last year. Preseason if I remember correctly, when Obama was president. It died down as the year went on. Then, our president, who is supposed to be the leader of this country, calls people exercising their freedoms, not harming or intimidating anyone, a son of a bitch. Do you think that athletes, owners, etc. were just going to lie down and take that? Now, we have this stir-crazy debate over the flag, what is and isn't against code and what it means to be patriotic. There have been no meaningful discussions about the real issues, just deflection after deflection and faux-outrage "boycotts." What better platform do these guys have than when people from all backgrounds are converging together to watch? I guarantee you as sure as the sky is blue, if the first knee had never been taken during the anthem and players instead help up a black power sign during a TD celebration, or ran out of the tunnel with a sign, people would find something else wrong with it.
    The coverage was there last year. I'm a 49er fan so I was well aware of what was happening. ESPN has gone out of there way to cover it since Kaepernick first too a knee.
    Natural Immunity Croc

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-29-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    This ****ing idiot

"For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    The coverage was there last year. I'm a 49er fan so I was well aware of what was happening. ESPN has gone out of there way to cover it since Kaepernick first too a knee.
    Of course the coverage was there. It wasn't an every-day occurrence for players to sit or kneel for the anthem. It would have been irresponsible to just ignore it and not ask. And it was worth asking what the deal was with a QB who had helped lead his team to the Super Bowl a few years earlier not even starting for a team that was complete garbage.

If you think it hinders you from watching your team, it's your problem. I had no issue watching the Falcons-Lions game last week and didn't find myself thinking "Boy, I wish they'd focus on this game and stop talking about actions that make white people uncomfortable."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Of course the coverage was there. It wasn't an every-day occurrence for players to sit or kneel for the anthem. It would have been irresponsible to just ignore it and not ask. And it was worth asking what the deal was with a QB who had helped lead his team to the Super Bowl a few years earlier not even starting for a team that was complete garbage.

If you think it hinders you from watching your team, it's your problem. I had no issue watching the Falcons-Lions game last week and didn't find myself thinking "Boy, I wish they'd focus on this game and stop talking about actions that make white people uncomfortable."
    Apparently its mine and millions of other peoples problem. Just because you don't have a problem with it doens't mean its not a real thing for millions of people.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    That's fine. Have your problem with it. Just recognize a lot of this backlash is incredibly hypocritical.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The backlash is because we the public are being forced to watch because we love football. That is why people are turning away.
    seriously it isn't too hard for those offended to click the remote and not watch for those 2 offensive minutes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Apparently they've resurrected J. Edgar.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/28/politi...sts/index.html

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    So to summarize, it is acceptable that NFL players express dislike of police behavior on the football field, but it is not acceptable that "white people" express their dislike of NFL player behavior...err.. anywhere?

And it is ok for the players to peacefully protest by kneeling or whatever for the anthem, but when fans peacefully protest that behavior you think it's fitting to break out race baiting phrases like "Boy, I wish they'd focus on this game and stop talking about actions that make white people uncomfortable."

I'm just trying to catch up on the rules here, they seem to change a lot depending on who they are applied to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Both are fine to protest

The ones angry about the peaceful protest are just really ****ing stupid

24. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

57Brave (09-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    So to summarize, it is acceptable that NFL players express dislike of police behavior on the football field, but it is not acceptable that "white people" express their dislike of NFL player behavior...err.. anywhere?

And it is ok for the players to peacefully protest by kneeling or whatever for the anthem, but when fans peacefully protest that behavior you think it's fitting to break out race baiting phrases like "Boy, I wish they'd focus on this game and stop talking about actions that make white people uncomfortable."

I'm just trying to catch up on the rules here, they seem to change a lot depending on who they are applied to.
    No it is acceptable. The problem is those voicing their dislike are trying to delegitimize the players by calling them "son of a bitch" or "rich, spoiled, overpaid athlete" like they shouldn't have an opinion on anything.

It's all, "You hate America and our freedom." "You hate cops." "Shut up and play the game." "Respect the flag." It's an overwhelmingly white conservative crowd doing this. The message is clear and it's we're not the least bit interested in what you have to say about anything.

The people being the loudest over this shocking disparaging of the sacred American flag shrug when Confederate flags and Nazi flags are casually waved around.

Very fine people vs. sons of bitches.

The message is clear.