Page 5 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 3456715551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Do you feel the same about JFK making his brother attorney general despite having no experience at all?
    Hawk, do you really think Trump and JFK are equivalent, other than the title 'President'? I wasn't alive back then with JFK, but yes, learning the history, it bothered me, albeit only very slightly, that Bobby was handed that position. If I was alive back then, I doubt I would have cared, because I would have seen the Kennedy family as perfectly fit for the office of the president and public service. I don't share that same feeling at all with Trump. God help us all if Trump has his own 'Cuban Missile Crisis' situation to deal with during his watch.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Hawk, do you really think Trump and JFK are equivalent, other than the title 'President'? I wasn't alive back then with JFK, but yes, learning the history, it bothered me, albeit only very slightly, that Bobby was handed that position. If I was alive back then, I doubt I would have cared, because I would have seen the Kennedy family as perfectly fit for the office of the president and public service. I don't share that same feeling at all with Trump. God help us all if Trump has his own 'Cuban Missile Crisis' situation to deal with during his watch.
    No, I don't think the two are equivalent, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I realize you are concerned about Trump, and that's understandable given the way he was treated by his opponent and by the media - but he's not a monster (or at the very least, no more so than any one of us).

Give him a chance. You might like what you see. If you don't, then take away his muscle in two years and banish him to the ash heap in four.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    No, I don't think the two are equivalent, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I realize you are concerned about Trump, and that's understandable given the way he was treated by his opponent and by the media - but he's not a monster (or at the very least, no more so than any one of us).

Give him a chance. You might like what you see. If you don't, then take away his muscle in two years and banish him to the ash heap in four.
    It goes way beyond how he was treated. Come on now. I watched the debates. I see his Twitter feed. I hear the words he himself says and the actions he performs (or doesn't). I notice the people he surrounds himself with. His character is on full display by his own self. No media spin needed. And anyone who thinks he's fit for the office of the presidency just boggles my mind.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    "But in the interview, Mr. Trump said he told the president that he would consider keeping two provisions of the law: the prohibition against insurers denying coverage because of a patient’s pre-existing condition; and the one that allows parents to keep their children on their insurance plans until they turn 26."
    Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/us...imes&smtyp=cur

I don't think this is practical, FWIW. This is basically impossible without the individual mandate. However, this should (but won't) help calm some nerves of those who think Trump is going to cater solely to his base. This would be a true compromise in a situation where Trump doesn't need much from the other party.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    It goes way beyond how he was treated. Come on now. I watched the debates. I see his Twitter feed. I hear the words he himself says and the actions he performs (or doesn't). I notice the people he surrounds himself with. His character is on full display by his own self. No media spin needed. And anyone who thinks he's fit for the office of the presidency just boggles my mind.
    Answer me honestly: Did you ever watch a Trump rally in full? Did you ever read news about Trump from a website that was right-leaning? Review his platform?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Answer me honestly: Did you ever watch a Trump rally in full? Did you ever read news about Trump from a website that was right-leaning? Review his platform?
    In order: God no! Bits and pieces were all I could stand....Yes, ugh....Reviewed the Republican platform when they drew it up during the primaries, and alternated between disgust and shock, but know for Trump specifically that "building a wall" is not possible and will never happen, holding a religious test for incoming immigrants is ridiculous and offensive (but he walked that back), and he's somehow magically going to defeat ISIS and terrorism because he knows more than the generals, oh and he's going to fix all those bad trade deals and make countries pay for our protection, and climate change is a hoax so eff the Earth.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I'd bet a decent amount of money many of these horrible racist stories are plants to make Trump look bad.

They're just too outrageous.

I've met probably 100 real Trump supporters and they're all normal people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I hope Trump's inner circle winds up being Kellyanne Conway, Reince Priebus, Jared Kushner, Mike Pence and his children rather than the more nationalist Steve Bannon. I think Trump will govern as a moderate democrat outside of the southern border and taxes. I expect there will be one heck of a battle between the nationalists and moderates. Steve Bannon is a very smart and capable player, so it will be a real fight. In the end though I think Trump will be saved by Ivanka, who he arguably wants to have sex with, and she and Kushner will convince Trump to side with Conway, Pence and Priebus. And in that scenario I think Paul Ryan will wind up being very influential the next 4 years. And he'll essentially have a moderate democrat/republican type of presidency.

If Bannon gets his way then we'll be looking at a vision that aligns more with what the alt-right wants.
    thank you weso1!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Trump is much worse than even the most reviled politicians. He's unapologetic and has no sense of decency (even though he dresses well). He was treated like a king by the media for a long time - they should've branded him the scam artist that he is from the start instead of milking him for ratings.

That said, I think he could turn out to be much less of a disaster than most fear. I think a lot of his talk is just to give red meat to his base to get elected. It's very possible that the day to day tedium of the job will bore him. Also, I think he'll want to be liked and will find popular issues that might even be good for the country.

To say much else at this point is pointless. We're all gonna see and know for ourselves in a few months.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Trump is much worse than even the most reviled politicians. He's unapologetic and has no sense of decency (even though he dresses well). He was treated like a king by the media for a long time - they should've branded him the scam artist that he is from the start instead of milking him for ratings.

That said, I think he could turn out to be much less of a disaster than most fear. I think a lot of his talk is just to give red meat to his base to get elected. It's very possible that the day to day tedium of the job will bore him. Also, I think he'll want to be liked and will find popular issues that might even be good for the country.

To say much else at this point is pointless. We're all gonna see and know for ourselves in a few months.
    you are delusional and I never in my lifetime would say that about you considering the respect I have for you.

THe media did not help him. They tried to label him the most despicable scum on this Earth and you know what, he is despicable in ways just like Hillary is, the issue was, he own up to it and she didn't and lied and deflected and had a wall of the media to protect her. Americans are not stupid, they saw through that sherade of being nice little white princess with no flaws. She was a bitch, an elitist and did not give one flying f*ck for the Negroes, the Hispanics or anyone esle. She was hired by the elitist to get their way and the people spoke up and did not want that. We rather have a moderate Centrist in power who does not have any ties to outsiders to screw up our two party system.

At first I did not want Trump and wanted Hillary but now all the truth is coming out and I am glad that he won. The media is stunned because they were ALL IN on Hillary and they were the ones that did her in, like Obama and like Comey. They failed to protect her and her own interest.

She really did not care about us, she was going to get legacy of being the first lady president and the millions that she would reaped from this. Now she won't see much of that money or privilege anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Stop and frisk based on skin tone.
    But that won't effect you, my bad

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post

This is my fleeting hope as well. I do genuinely believe that Trump wants to be liked and hope that this leads him toward the center on certain issues. If he backs down from his campaign's tone on Muslims, refugees, abortion and immigration, I'all begrudgingly accept a Trump Presidency. I'm sure it won't be 4 (or *gulp* 8) years that I'm bound to enjoy, but outside of those particularly divisive issues, I am willing to keep an open mind. If, as Weso mentioned, we see Steve Bannon in a pivotal role in the Trump administration, I'm going to very quickly lose that hope.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (11-30-2016), Runnin (11-12-2016)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

Wasn't expecting that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Stop and frisk based on skin tone.
    But that won't effect you, my bad
    It was done during the Obama years.

You were saying?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    This is my fleeting hope as well. I do genuinely believe that Trump wants to be liked and hope that this leads him toward the center on certain issues. If he backs down from his campaign's tone on Muslims, refugees, abortion and immigration, I'all begrudgingly accept a Trump Presidency. I'm sure it won't be 4 (or *gulp* 8) years that I'm bound to enjoy, but outside of those particularly divisive issues, I am willing to keep an open mind. If, as Weso mentioned, we see Steve Bannon in a pivotal role in the Trump administration, I'm going to very quickly lose that hope.
    I think he will all but abortion. I am a Pro Life person and he should monitor moneys going to Planet Parenthood for the right reason, prevention and not execution.

He should also leave it up to the states for gay marriage as marriage is a state license not a Federal license. Also if a business does not want to sell a cake with two cocks on it, they shouldn't for religious reasons.

Also, take away the right to punish businesses if they allow their workers to say Merry Christmas.

All these things will go away hopefully and the political correct can take a long dive off the cliff into a bed of molten lava.

AND NO PARTICIPATION TROPHIES. You come in second you lost, get better, not be happy that you got a trophy.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (11-13-2016), Jaw (11-14-2016)

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Great video.

And it's clear the many of the failed policies of the Obama administration are responsible for Trump getting elected. As I said in other thread, I don't think a candidate like Trump gets elected unless the democrats messed up things big time, and they did.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawking4life View Post
    Great video.

And it's clear the many of the failed policies of the Obama administration are responsible for Trump getting elected. As I said in other thread, I don't think a candidate like Trump gets elected unless the democrats messed up things big time, and they did.
    Did the Dems really "mess things up" election wise or did they just take too much for granted, sit on their collective arses and assume everything was going to turn out the way they wanted, etc.? I hate the NAFTA thing Bill signed (though to be fair both parties were in on the POS agreement) and I hate the TPP Obama and quite a few members of this POS Congress are/were working on. Blame them for what they actually do or screw up and I'll back you up, not that it matters of course.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

Runnin (11-12-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    It was done during the Obama years.

You were saying?
    Obama is not my fave either, but let's be fair and honest here, how would the Repubs nationwide and here on this forum have acted had W been so stonewalled at every turn on everything he even thought about doing for the past 6 years? True he didn't get much done from 2008-2010 but since asshats like McConnell have been running things it's an absolute crime how the Repubs have acted. Instead of impeaching Hilldog, had she won, or Obama we should all be calling for that worthless POS Mitch McConnell to be shown the door. Just my opinion

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (11-14-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Did the uber-wealthy vote for him? I haven't seen a breakdown. I think he may be able to push Congress in some directions on issues like the ability to sell insurance across state lines, but the NAFTA and TPP stuff will be tricky. Tearing up those agreements would likely weaken the dollar and cause some measure of inflation (and inflation being the thing all Presidents seek to avoid seemingly at all costs) which could drive up interest rates to combat that. Interesting times. I think the big thing is that corporations don't have to invest if they don't feel like it. We've seen that for the past decade. Profits are up, but CEOs are sitting on them. Curious to see if that continues.

I thought they were in on Clinton.