Page 501 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 4014514914995005015025035115516011001 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,020 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Nope. It's inflammatory language that could incite violence. Unacceptable.
    I don't understand how this got to the point where it was acceptable
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't understand how this got to the point where it was acceptable
    Toxic environment, although I do think she was not actually intending it that way. I just think we need to hold people accountable in these positions to how their words can be interpreted. Just like how Trump can't manage to say two words without somehow putting his foot in his mouth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Toxic environment, although I do think she was not actually intending it that way. I just think we need to hold people accountable in these positions to how their words can be interpreted. Just like how Trump can't manage to say two words without somehow putting his foot in his mouth.
    Trump is an idiot. Its sad because his policies are great but he gets in the way of himself.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (lol) but this conversation has gone from people making $50K are unable to put $2400 per year into a 401(K)
    to
    It's difficult

ergo:

people making $50K will (would) be paying out of pocket tax for investing in a 401(K).
    When before this conversation started they wouldn't

I believe that is where we started.

No qualifiers , number of household members student loans, out for dinners or any of that.

This would have been (and still might be) an out of pocket - April 15th tax hike
    Which was my point
    But don't you support higher taxes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    depends on what tax , who is effected.
    and what purpose
    Does it add to the common good.
    Knowing that means something different to each of us

the catch phrase higher taxes is a broad brush
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-23-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.axios.com/million-dollar...499930587.html

The Republicans on the House Ways and Means Committee — engaged in a high-pressure, high-stakes tax policy rewrite — are currently exploring not cutting the income tax rate for people who earn $1 million or more per year.

Right now, the marginal tax rate for anyone who makes $418,000 or more per year is 39.6 percent. The Republicans' opening gambit — secretly negotiated for months, and endorsed by Trump — would have cut the highest tax rate to 35 percent.
    But now, House Republicans' thinking has changed. Under their current thinking, people who earn between $418,000 and $999,999 will be in a lower tax bracket. But those earning $1 million or more will not.
    Opting to keep taxing million-dollar-earners at the current 39.6 percent-rate will help stem the deficit increase from tax cuts for corporations and the middle class.

Caveat: The million dollar bracket plans haven't been finalized and could change this week, as committee Republicans finalize their tax bill during meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Potential blowback: If the Committee Republicans ultimately decide not to cut the income tax rate for million-dollar-earners, much of the Republican donor class and Reaganomics community (including anti-tax activist Grover Norquist) will feel betrayed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    https://www.axios.com/million-dollar...499930587.html

The Republicans on the House Ways and Means Committee — engaged in a high-pressure, high-stakes tax policy rewrite — are currently exploring not cutting the income tax rate for people who earn $1 million or more per year.

Right now, the marginal tax rate for anyone who makes $418,000 or more per year is 39.6 percent. The Republicans' opening gambit — secretly negotiated for months, and endorsed by Trump — would have cut the highest tax rate to 35 percent.
    But now, House Republicans' thinking has changed. Under their current thinking, people who earn between $418,000 and $999,999 will be in a lower tax bracket. But those earning $1 million or more will not.
    Opting to keep taxing million-dollar-earners at the current 39.6 percent-rate will help stem the deficit increase from tax cuts for corporations and the middle class.

Caveat: The million dollar bracket plans haven't been finalized and could change this week, as committee Republicans finalize their tax bill during meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Potential blowback: If the Committee Republicans ultimately decide not to cut the income tax rate for million-dollar-earners, much of the Republican donor class and Reaganomics community (including anti-tax activist Grover Norquist) will feel betrayed.

If you're willing to concede that the ultra-wealthy should still be taxed at the same rate, it seems absurd that you'd not consider those making $400,000+ ultra-wealthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    If you're willing to concede that the ultra-wealthy should still be taxed at the same rate, it seems absurd that you'd not consider those making $400,000+ ultra-wealthy.
    If you're willing to conceded $400K+ is wealthy... sure we could agree that $350K is also wealthy.

And hell, if you're willing to concede $350K is wealthy...

I say cut everyone's taxes, and cut all government spending

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Agreed. Maybe there is some kind of economic data that explains why this would be counter productive, but on the surface it seems foolish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/1...-allies-244000

Once a ‘jackass’ and ‘idiot,’ Trump and Graham now pals

Once upon a time, Lindsey Graham called Donald Trump a "jackass." Never to be outdone in the put-down department, Trump labeled the South Carolina senator a "lightweight" and an "idiot" who “seems to me not as bright as Rick Perry.”

Graham is transforming himself from one of Trump’s fiercest critics to his chief congressional translator, talking to the president sometimes multiple times in a day. He insists Trump is “growing into the job” and becoming more somber, a far different figure than who Graham once railed against as a long-shot presidential candidate. A White House official said that Graham’s alliance with Trump “is one of the best we have on the Hill.”

How long this will last is anyone's guess: Graham is known as one of the more blunt-spoken senators, and it might just be a matter of time before he whacks the president and Trump hits back.

But to hear Graham tell it now, what started as a mutual political marriage of convenience has evolved into a friendship defined by backslapping and a shared sense of humor between “two BS artists.” As Trump wavers on whether to support a bipartisan health care deal, Graham has been working to convince Trump to back it — and telling reporters all about their conversations.

And when Trump seeks validation and support from the establishment wing of the GOP, Graham is exactly the type of Republican he needs. This despite Graham once interrupting a roast of other Republicans to issue a dire warning about Trump: “I don’t think he understands what makes America great. And I know I’m supposed to be funny, but I’m not really happy about where the country is right now.”

But now Graham says Trump's assembled the best national security team in 20 years and is “good for the Republican Party.”

“Part of it’s just getting to know each other better. And need. I do better in South Carolina when I’m seen as helping him, ‘cause he’s popular. When I’m helping him, he’s seen as being able to reach out to an old critic,” Graham said.

So a snake in the grass is getting friendly with the bull in the china shop. This should end well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.realclearpolicy.com/artic..._dynamism.html

Trump's Deregulation Efforts Are Driving Market Dynamism

U.S. stock markets began rising almost immediately after Donald Trump was elected, and have now produced more record highs than at any time in the last 20 years. What accounts for this phenomenal growth? Many economists will attribute the markets’ enthusiasm to the possibility of tax reform that President Trump promised during the campaign. But business-friendly tax reform is at this point only a future possibility; reductions in regulation are happening now — and that’s the key to understanding the market’s dynamism.
    But the problem of excessive regulation was so severe, and has been such an impediment to economic growth, that the mere slowing of new regulations can stimulate substantial new business confidence, investment, and hiring. And a slowing has occurred since Donald Trump took office.

During the Obama administration, the number of new regulations averaged more than 3,000 per year. Many of them — net neutrality rule from the FCC, the fiduciary rule from the Labor Department, Operation Choke Point led by the Justice Department, and the mortgage rule issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau — reshaped (or threatened to reshape) whole industries. Many other rules from overzealous bank examiners reduced the formation of new small banks to almost zero. These rules also raised the compliance costs of existing banks to such an extent that there were little funds left for lending to the small firms and startups that are the source of most economic growth and new employment in the United States.

All this becomes clear if we look at the Obama administration as a whole. During the eight Obama years, economic growth was slightly less than 2 percent — far below any recovery in the last 60 years.
    Along comes the Trump administration. In every agency where Trump has nominated the senior policy official, the need for new regulation — and the value of old ones — is being questioned. Both Treasury reports emphasized deregulating the economy through administrative action, which is clearly the most likely route to needed reform.

The business community is recognizing that they can plan for growth without new regulations adding to their costs. That’s why the markets are exuberant. Tax reform, as important as it is, will only be icing on the cake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    http://www.realclearpolicy.com/artic..._dynamism.html

Trump's Deregulation Efforts Are Driving Market Dynamism

U.S. stock markets began rising almost immediately after Donald Trump was elected, and have now produced more record highs than at any time in the last 20 years. What accounts for this phenomenal growth? Many economists will attribute the markets’ enthusiasm to the possibility of tax reform that President Trump promised during the campaign. But business-friendly tax reform is at this point only a future possibility; reductions in regulation are happening now — and that’s the key to understanding the market’s dynamism.
    But the problem of excessive regulation was so severe, and has been such an impediment to economic growth, that the mere slowing of new regulations can stimulate substantial new business confidence, investment, and hiring. And a slowing has occurred since Donald Trump took office.

During the Obama administration, the number of new regulations averaged more than 3,000 per year. Many of them — net neutrality rule from the FCC, the fiduciary rule from the Labor Department, Operation Choke Point led by the Justice Department, and the mortgage rule issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau — reshaped (or threatened to reshape) whole industries. Many other rules from overzealous bank examiners reduced the formation of new small banks to almost zero. These rules also raised the compliance costs of existing banks to such an extent that there were little funds left for lending to the small firms and startups that are the source of most economic growth and new employment in the United States.

All this becomes clear if we look at the Obama administration as a whole. During the eight Obama years, economic growth was slightly less than 2 percent — far below any recovery in the last 60 years.
    Along comes the Trump administration. In every agency where Trump has nominated the senior policy official, the need for new regulation — and the value of old ones — is being questioned. Both Treasury reports emphasized deregulating the economy through administrative action, which is clearly the most likely route to needed reform.

The business community is recognizing that they can plan for growth without new regulations adding to their costs. That’s why the markets are exuberant. Tax reform, as important as it is, will only be icing on the cake.
    Yep.

The mere fact that the markets don't have to worry about new regulations (forget getting rid of current ones), is reason in and of itself why you're seeing such a surge.

The leftists who don't understand anything about markets can't grasp this, and insist this run is all about Obama - despite the fact that the market is 100% forward looking.

I don't like much of what Trump has done, but his war on regulations is a huge positive, and businesses can not rest assured that they won't have to worry about nonsensical ones getting passed for the next few years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yep.

The mere fact that the markets don't have to worry about new regulations (forget getting rid of current ones), is reason in and of itself why you're seeing such a surge.

The leftists who don't understand anything about markets can't grasp this, and insist this run is all about Obama - despite the fact that the market is 100% forward looking.

I don't like much of what Trump has done, but his war on regulations is a huge positive, and businesses can not rest assured that they won't have to worry about nonsensical ones getting passed for the next few years
    We have been saying this for almost 6 months.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Nice job by the liar in chief to attack a pregnant gold star widow

he has so much respect for the military etc etc etc

**** him
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

57Brave (10-23-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    If you're willing to conceded $400K+ is wealthy... sure we could agree that $350K is also wealthy.

And hell, if you're willing to concede $350K is wealthy...

I say cut everyone's taxes, and cut all government spending
    That's fair, but it's not even really my own arbitrary endpoint. They're willing to retain the current tax rate for millionaires, why not just leave that threshold where it is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    some nice virginia nazis that in shocking news are supporters of the orange one

https://streamable.com/xik3r
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Amy Siskind‏Verified account @Amy_Siskind 23h23 hours ago

Just curious what Gen Kelly will do now that a 5x draft dodger has called a grieving Gold Star widow a liar.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Yawn - another market record.

MAGA!

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I'm trying to imagine any other presidency where this would happen and the response it would get