Page 518 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 184184685085165175185195205285686181018 ... LastLast
Results 10,341 to 10,360 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Sessions house, cars, Trump tower, etc, should all be civil asset forfeiture until they can prove they were never used in a crime. They shouldn't have a problem with that since they are so gung ho for civil asset forfeiture.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Why should they be forthcoming with that information when it's clear they won't be charged with a crime if we find out later they are lying. Really takes the incentive out of it. Sessions has committed perjury 3 times now? He even sent a memo to DAs telling them to strictly enforce the law. Funny that doesn't seem to apply to him. Sessions house, cars, Trump tower, etc, should all be civil asset forfeiture until they can prove they were never used in a crime. They shouldn't have a problem with that since they are so gung ho for civil asset forfeiture.
    I'm not seconding you on the civil asset forfeiture but I completely agree with you on the rest. There needs to be a system of accountability for these people in government. Too many of them get away with either obvious charges not being made, pleading the 5th, immunity deals, ridiculous loopholes, or just outright lying. Typical citizens would never get away with this and I think more of us should be tired of the double standard, regardless of which side happens to benefit from it at any one specific point in time.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-03-2017), jpx7 (11-03-2017), thethe (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-03-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Forever Fredi

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-03-2017), jpx7 (11-03-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Papodopoulos: Hey guys, I know a dude at the Russian embassy in London. I bet he would be glad to set up a meeting between Putin and Donald. Want me to ask?

Sessions: You idiot! That's a terrible idea! Don't ever say anything like that again!

Trump: Guys there aren't many people willing to work in my administration and Jeff looked like his head was going to explode just now. I don't want to have to beg someone to replace him, so let's not talk about meeting Russians anymore.

This article writer: Here is proof Trump and Sessions knew of campaign contact with Russians!
    That may be an accurate portrayal of what happened.

Seems odd that Sessions would deny knowledge of such interactions when asked about it by the Judiciary Committee, though.

It's worth noting that when he was asked about contacts with Russian officials regarding emails, his answer was that he "didn't recall" any.

It could very well be that there's nothing to that, either, but that answer does not inspire confidence.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that Sessions has not been forthright in his testimony.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I'm not seconding you on the civil asset forfeiture but I completely agree with you on the rest. There needs to be a system of accountability for these people in government. Too many of them get away with either obvious charges not being made, pleading the 5th, immunity deals, ridiculous loopholes, or just outright lying. Typical citizens would never get away with this and I think more of us should be tired of the double standard, regardless of which side happens to benefit from it at any one specific point in time.

Why are you against seizure? Trump and Sessions are big supporters of the programs so they should be understanding when it happens to them? Right? A vast majority of the people whose property is seized are never charged with a crime. I Don't see how it's okay to use CAF for suspicion of drugs but shouldn't be used when the suspicion is conspiracy against America. Really need our priorities straightened out.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-04-2017), jpx7 (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Papodopoulos: Hey guys, I know a dude at the Russian embassy in London. I bet he would be glad to set up a meeting between Putin and Donald. Want me to ask?

Sessions: You idiot! That's a terrible idea! Don't ever say anything like that again!

Trump: Guys there aren't many people willing to work in my administration and Jeff looked like his head was going to explode just now. I don't want to have to beg someone to replace him, so let's not talk about meeting Russians anymore.

This article writer: Here is proof Trump and Sessions knew of campaign contact with Russians!

Okay, so when asked why not say "Well one campaign staffer, Papadopolous, said he had contact with Russians and wanted to set up a meeting with Putin. We said no and moved on.

I have a hard time believing Sessions can not remember being vehemently opposed to a suggested meeting with Putin or that Trump doesn't remember that meeting. The only way they would forget that specific meeting is if they had a lot of discussions about Putin so they couldnt recall one specific meeting.

Its not a hard question to answer " did anyone in the Trump campaign have contacts with Russian agents?". The answer is Yes.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    That may be an accurate portrayal of what happened.

Seems odd that Sessions would deny knowledge of such interactions when asked about it by the Judiciary Committee, though.

It's worth noting that when he was asked about contacts with Russian officials regarding emails, his answer was that he "didn't recall" any.

It could very well be that there's nothing to that, either, but that answer does not inspire confidence.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that Sessions has not been forthright in his testimony.
    I'm not saying that contacts with Russian officials didn't happen. I'm saying that the quoted article and Sessions' statement are not contrary to one another. The article doesn't have Papodopoulos saying "I spoke with Dmitri, he can setup a meeting." It just has him saying the equivalent of "Want me to make a call?", and Sessions saying "Goodness gracious, no!" So Sessions can legitimately say he doesn't know of contact being made. I find it unlikely, but I don't think the statements in this article prove it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Okay, so when asked why not say "Well one campaign staffer, Papadopolous, said he had contact with Russians and wanted to set up a meeting with Putin. We said no and moved on.

I have a hard time believing Sessions can not remember being vehemently opposed to a suggested meeting with Putin or that Trump doesn't remember that meeting. The only way they would forget that specific meeting is if they had a lot of discussions about Putin so they couldnt recall one specific meeting.

Its not a hard question to answer " did anyone in the Trump campaign have contacts with Russian agents?". The answer is Yes.
    Wait, let me clarify that we are using the same definition of "contact." I am not using it in the sense of "I have a contact at Happy Burger who gets me a good deal on chicken nuggets." All of these people have multiple "contacts" of that type, and Pap certainly admits it in the bolded parts of the article:

At a March 31, 2016, meeting between Mr. Trump and his foreign policy team, Mr. Papadopoulos introduced himself and said “that he had connections that could help arrange a meeting between then-candidate Trump and President Putin,” according to court records.

“He went into the pitch right away,” said J. D. Gordon, a campaign adviser who attended the meeting. “He said he had a friend in London, the Russian ambassador, who could help set up a meeting with Putin.”

Mr. Trump listened with interest. Mr. Sessions vehemently opposed the idea, Mr. Gordon recalled. “And he said that no one should talk about it,” because Mr. Sessions thought it was a bad idea that he did not want associated with the campaign, he said.

Several of Mr. Trump’s campaign advisers attended the March 2016 meeting, and at least two of those advisers are now in the White House: Hope Hicks, the communications director, and Stephen Miller, a senior policy adviser.

But if we are saying he had "contact" to mean that he had communicated with them in some way, that is never stated in the article.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    fake news

unless they like it brah

**** these clowns
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Jon Favreau‏Verified account @jonfavs

Seems like a big part of Trump’s re-election effort will be calling for the prosecution and imprisonment of any opponent who challenges him
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    David Simon‏Verified account @AoDespair 8h8 hours ago

David Simon Retweeted Donald J. Trump

It is not normal for a US president to publicly call for the criminal prosecution of political adversaries. It marks abject totalitarianism.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Republican Sen. Bob Corker continued his criticism of President Donald Trump on Friday, saying Trump is pressuring the Justice Department to "pursue cases against his adversaries and calling for punishment before trials take place."

"Like me, most Americans hope that our justice system is independent and free of political interference," Corker said in a statement Friday afternoon. "President Trump's pressuring of the Justice Department and FBI to pursue cases against his adversaries and calling for punishment before trials take place are totally inappropriate and not only undermine our justice system but erode the American people's confidence in our institutions."

It is the third time in recent weeks Corker has been highly critical of the President. The Tennessee Republican announced in September that he's not running for re-election.

Trump has repeatedly in the past 24 hours criticized the Justice Department, including in a radio interview where the President described himself as "unhappy" with the department. On Friday morning, Trump told reporters that Justice should be investigating Democrats.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Because that answer (detailing the purported discussion with PapaD) would've been overkill. It would have resulted in a follow-up line of questioning demanding names, dates, and other exactnesses. His answer was designed to be evasive, and I don't read much into it beyond that. It's just the nature of the dance. You aren't trying to aide in a case being made against you, that's the other guy's job.

You want to call that misleading, fine. But perjury? Eh. Good luck with that.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I'm as skeptical of those numbers, relative to the larger truth behind them, as I was of the numbers under President Obama.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I'm as skeptical of those numbers, relative to the larger truth behind them, as I was of the numbers under President Obama.
    Agreed. A large number of people conceding employment shouldn't be calculated as a positive in any formula.

At the same time, the same formula was used to widely applaud the previous administration on jobs, so it would be hypocritical of that group to find qualms with it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Why are you against seizure? Trump and Sessions are big supporters of the programs so they should be understanding when it happens to them? Right? A vast majority of the people whose property is seized are never charged with a crime. I Don't see how it's okay to use CAF for suspicion of drugs but shouldn't be used when the suspicion is conspiracy against America. Really need our priorities straightened out.
    I don't think CAF in it's current form should be applied to anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Agreed. A large number of people conceding employment shouldn't be calculated as a positive in any formula.

At the same time, the same formula was used to widely applaud the previous administration on jobs, so it would be hypocritical of that group to find qualms with it now.
    There are several classes of dropouts from the labor market.

1) Those who have qualified for disability. The way the system is set up there is very little incentive to come back into the labor force once that happens.

2) Another group that has not qualified for disability but have issues that make them effectively disabled. The opioid epidemic is one manifestation of this. So is the rise in death rates among particular demographic groups. These are very serious problems. There is causality in both directions with respect to the labor force. The Great Recession accelerated these social problems. And they in turn are now preventing people from participating in the economy and society in the way they were prior to the Great Recession.

3) Many people found things to do to generate unreported income during the Great Recession. It might not make economic sense for them to return to the formal economy.

My point is with 1-3 above, the 4% unemployment rate might really be the 4% unemployment rate. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

"I am your retribution."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Because that answer (detailing the purported discussion with PapaD) would've been overkill. It would have resulted in a follow-up line of questioning demanding names, dates, and other exactnesses. His answer was designed to be evasive, and I don't read much into it beyond that. It's just the nature of the dance. You aren't trying to aide in a case being made against you, that's the other guy's job.

You want to call that misleading, fine. But perjury? Eh. Good luck with that.
    I agree that it isn't perjury, but dissembling under oath isn't a great look for an AG. I imagine he'll get a chance to answer, behind closed doors and with specificity, in due course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I agree that it isn't perjury, but dissembling under oath isn't a great look for an AG. I imagine he'll get a chance to answer, behind closed doors and with specificity, in due course.
    For various reasons, I think Mueller will go easy on Sessions. I do think the depositions he takes from Sessions and Rod Rosenstein will be the most consequential of the whole investigation. Consequential for Trump.

"I am your retribution."