Page 543 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 434434935335415425435445455535936431043 ... LastLast
Results 10,841 to 10,860 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    China isn't even communist.
    well, i would argue there are no actual communist countries

but i digress

only place i have ever been told to watch what i say was Vietnam but saw some shady **** go down in China before and had some awkward convos that people said we should walk away from before anything else might escalate
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    the issues of Freedom of the press, human rights, freedom of religion

things we use to press them on

it doesn't seem they went to bat for any of that

they didn't ask for it which is usually agreed upon on simple issues by just asking

he is silent on the encroachment of China into Hong Kong more and more
    Is generality the theme tonight or what?

Where did Obama specifically press the Chinese on freedom of the press or freedom of religion? I'll give you human rights because that's the area where the one example I could think of exists.

Trump telegraphed a position on Taiwan - but I seem to recall the anti-Trump-but-for-no-other-reason-than-sore-about-loss contingent ridiculing him for that.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    W was misunderestimated

Trump is six cans short of a six pack

yuge difference...bigly
    Trump was labeled an idiot, a bigot, a sexist, a racist, and a thief ... and still won the Presidency over e-mails chick ... seems a pretty big underestimation to me.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I don't think there are - or should be - any basic requirements to hold office (aside from the natural-born clause). In fact, if voting for somebody like Trump flies in the face of that paradigm, by design, then I would hope for many more candidates of his ilk.

As to your #3; I'm not one of those people.
    Ok. You explained your support for him early on. You still feeling ok about it? Just my morbid curiousity inquiring.

I'm not really surprised at the rest, but I am a tad confused at what you're getting at as a desired end. A weak executive branc? Paralysis and collapse? More plutocracy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Ok. You explained your support for him early on. You still feeling ok about it? Just my morbid curiousity inquiring.

I'm not really surprised at the rest, but I am a tad confused at what you're getting at as a desired end. A weak executive branc? Paralysis and collapse? More plutocracy?
    How about the destruction of the political class and set a precident where the office is opened up to more people? This would be for both the executive and legislative branches

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Hawk, you are so pointed in your criticism of Obama's foreign policy...sometimes it's fair and cogent, imo, sometimes petty and rather a reach.

But your implication always seems to be that Trump is an improvement. Do you think so? If so, how so?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    How about the destruction of the political class and set a precident where the office is opened up to more people? This would be for both the executive and legislative branches
    Sure, but I think its effect has been to head further in the direction of plutocracy and the hegemony of the donor class.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

I am content with Trump - on balance. He's done well in the areas I expected him to. I like most of the movement in the realm of foreign affairs a great deal, even if it's not anywhere near where his campaign platform seemed to point (and I think that's a relief).

I never really expected fulfillment on other issues that are important to me, like healthcare reform, for example.

The gafffes? Endearing.

Dude is like a whac-a-mole. That's something I appreciate and something I feel like an awful lot of Americans can relate to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It was the same sentiment with W.

He makes verbal flubs = idiot
    He has an accent = idiot
    He believes in God = idiot

"He's an idiot. Thereby you are an idiot for supporting him."

But got damn, if you are good with a teleprompter you are a bona fide genius.

Cue Sade.
    Strawman a tad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I mean, damn, that's a veritable H-bomb of a dumb, conventional take...really the type of thing that you generally like to high-handedly snip about as you float above it all.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I mean, damn, that's a veritable H-bomb of a dumb, conventional take...really the type of thing that you generally like to high-handedly snip about as you float above it all.
    Let's not even try to pretend that elitism, especially as it relates to attacks on the intellect of the conservative base and its leadership, isn't part-and-parcel of the Democratic playbook.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Trump was labeled an idiot, a bigot, a sexist, a racist, and a thief ... and still won the Presidency over e-mails chick ... seems a pretty big underestimation to me.
    yup...the voters have it right...and Tillerson, McMaster and Cohen just don't get it
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    http://www.businessinsider.com/hr-mc...artner-2017-11

I'm just going to put this out there instead of going with my usual sources spiel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The problem isn't Trump. The problem is that 47% of voters voted for someone like that and about 40% continue to give him positive approval ratings. This is for someone who:

1) has a life history of ripping off other people (see "Trump University" and stiffing people who did work for him)
    2) who said a judge couldn't be fair because of his Mexican ancestry
    3) who scapegoats Muslims, Mexicans and other minorities
    4) who has no problem with Russia interfering in our elections
    5) who trafficked in the birther lie
    6) whose treatment of women makes Roy Moore seem like a gentleman

and I could go on.

But I am sorry to say that Trump is not the problem. The problem is the people who still support him after all this. I don't think this is a political issue in the traditional sense of the word politics. It is something much deeper and much worse.

There is something else that may trouble you even more, people like me who would vote No on an approval poll, but don't regret voting for him and do expect to vote for him again.

I don't like him, I wouldn't allow him to eat dinner with my family, I don't like how embarrassing his tweets and jackass comments are, and I don't like any of the things on your list.

But I do like most of his policies. I like his judicial nominees, I like his desire to cut taxes, I like his desire to grow the Navy and reduce foreign adventures (it would be nice to see some progress here), and I love that he has opposed globalism for 30 years and advocates protective tariffs.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    There is something else that may trouble you even more, people like me who would vote No on an approval poll, but don't regret voting for him and do expect to vote for him again.

I don't like him, I wouldn't allow him to eat dinner with my family, I don't like how embarrassing his tweets and jackass comments are, and I don't like any of the things on your list.

But I do like most of his policies. I like his judicial nominees, I like his desire to cut taxes, I like his desire to grow the Navy and reduce foreign adventures (it would be nice to see some progress here), and I love that he has opposed globalism for 30 years and advocates protective tariffs.
    actually that's about the most respectable thing I've heard from a Trump voter...and yes I am damning with faint praise
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post

The anti globalist aspect of trumps policies is what is really drawing his enemies ire. All this talk about his racism /sexisms/ intelligence is being fed to the masses because what the globalist really fear is the people of this world waking up and realizing that we've been robbed blind the last 50 years like no other time in our nation's founding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Let's not even try to pretend that elitism, especially as it relates to attacks on the intellect of the conservative base and its leadership, isn't part-and-parcel of the Democratic playbook.
    Let's not even try to pretend that isn't a talk radio-level take. Sorry if that cones across as elitist.

Do people make dumb, elitist statements? Yes. Democrats and--gasp--even people of other affiliations. Is it "part-and-parcel of the Democratic playbook? Come on. That's super wack.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    The gafffes? Endearing.
    calling a woman who's not even there "Pocahontas" in front of Native Americans who assisted in war while standing in front of an andrew jackson portrait is "endearing" to you?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

57Brave (11-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    while saying the president's words (lies) don't matter....

Jenan Moussa‏Verified account
    @jenanmoussa
    Follow Follow @jenanmoussa
    More
    Libyan media is questioning authenticity of CNN's slavery report after tweet by President Trump calling CNN international "a major source of (Fake) news"

Jessica Huseman‏Verified account
    @JessicaHuseman
    Follow Follow @JessicaHuseman
    More Jessica Huseman Retweeted Jenan Moussa
    I REPEAT FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME: The presidents tweets have real impact on the world. There are slave auctions happening in Libya, and the president's childish social media antics allow the powerful in Libya an out.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    calling a woman who's not even there "Pocahontas" in front of Native Americans who assisted in war while standing in front of an andrew jackson portrait is "endearing" to you?
    And it's truly offensive to you?

Don't choke on that fake indignation bro.