Page 663 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 1635636136536616626636646656737137631163 ... LastLast
Results 13,241 to 13,260 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm absolutely floored that Schumer has rejected the WH DACA plan. What do the dems want exactly?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm absolutely floored that Schumer has rejected the WH DACA plan. What do the dems want exactly?
    They want to say that they won.

I would like to see how the Graham-Durbin framework stacks up against what the WH has put out.

Funny how those great bipartisan compromisers keep their legislation so close to the chest, isn't it?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It's really easy to make the Democrats look impotent and ineffectual here, because...well, they are. They're a minority in both houses with the other party in the WH. Republicans have the ability to leverage the Ds desire to patch DACA by attaching it to demands which are otherwise undesirable to them. They've done that. It's not a brillliant chess match, it's just predictably rubbing the other guy's nose in **** because you can.

Democrats can take the best bad deal they can negotiate or they can try to kick the can down the road to the post-2018 world. Personally, I'd be tempted to take the best deal I could now (which probably involves negotiating the disposition of visas relating to family unification and pushing around the edges of TPS recipients) even though that means handing a nominal win to Trump. That's not where our national politics are right now, though. I dare say it's not what Mitch McConnell would do.

I think that an important part of the debate here is asking folks if they're willing to say the quiet part loud, as the saying goes. The Republican plan is to change the visa system to the extent that it curtails LEGAL immigration by a significant percentage--as much as 50%. If that's what you want, be willing to put your hand up for it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (01-26-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    While we're airing theories about which news story is designed to obscure which other news story, might I suggest that any heated discussion of some gross HRC "faith advisor" is probably taking some air out of the story that big Trump backer, sub rosa China lobbyist, and RNC finance chair Steve Wynn is a Weinstein-esque serial sexual-assaulter.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    The Hillary story doesn't surprise me.

Neither does this honestly. And neither does the silence from the RNC people who were so willing to yell that the Dems should return Weinstein's money.

Trump "liking" the WSJ tweet about the story though was kinda WTF considering the guy was a co-host for that lavish fundraiser last weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    While we're airing theories about which news story is designed to obscure which other news story, might I suggest that any heated discussion of some gross HRC "faith advisor" is probably taking some air out of the story that big Trump backer, sub rosa China lobbyist, and RNC finance chair Steve Wynn is a Weinstein-esque serial sexual-assaulter.
    How about that Obama though?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    It's really easy to make the Democrats look impotent and ineffectual here, because...well, they are. They're a minority in both houses with the other party in the WH. Republicans have the ability to leverage the Ds desire to patch DACA by attaching it to demands which are otherwise undesirable to them. They've done that. It's not a brillliant chess match, it's just predictably rubbing the other guy's nose in **** because you can.

Democrats can take the best bad deal they can negotiate or they can try to kick the can down the road to the post-2018 world. Personally, I'd be tempted to take the best deal I could now (which probably involves negotiating the disposition of visas relating to family unification and pushing around the edges of TPS recipients) even though that means handing a nominal win to Trump. That's not where our national politics are right now, though. I dare say it's not what Mitch McConnell would do.

I think that an important part of the debate here is asking folks if they're willing to say the quiet part loud, as the saying goes. The Republican plan is to change the visa system to the extent that it curtails LEGAL immigration by a significant percentage--as much as 50%. If that's what you want, be willing to put your hand up for it.

I think the Democrats should just give Trump what he wants and then campaign on the disasters he causes. Republicans floated the same idea about Obama and I was all for it. What do our elections really mean when the party that loses obstructs everything. Republicans are far more guilty than the democrats in this but only the current situation is relevant. When your party controls the presidency, congress, and most of the governorship then they are the proverbial will of the people. If I was the democrats I would tell people if you dont like what they are doing then you get a chance to change that at the ballot box.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The trump presidency will go down as one of the most successful but controversial of all time. The proof is in the results for both adjectives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I guses we are going to bypass the face that Obama was buddy buddy with scum like farakhan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    I guses we are going to bypass the face that Obama was buddy buddy with scum like farakhan?
    You gonna bypass Steve Wynn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Or how bout the links between Trump and Russian mafia figures. I mean this thread is about Trump, correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Or how bout the links between Trump and Russian mafia figures. I mean this thread is about Trump, correct?
    We've discussed this for months. But let's ignore that obama is buddy buddy with some who hates america.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    We've discussed this for months. But let's ignore that obama is buddy buddy with some who hates america.
    Should the GOP return Steve Wynn's money? How does it make you feel he and Trump are buddy-buddy?

Shame on Obama for posing with an Anti-Semite. Shame on the Caucus for keeping it suppressed. When you produce evidence there was a longtime ongoing friendship and Farrakhan influenced Obama's administration, we can talk some more. I'm sure the white racist AG can prosecute both of them and save the republic.

Now guess who Farrakhan praised in the lead up to the 2016 election for not taking money from the Jews?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Should the GOP return Steve Wynn's money? How does it make you feel he and Trump are buddy-buddy?

Shame on Obama for posing with an Anti-Semite. Shame on the Caucus for keeping it suppressed. When you produce evidence there was a longtime ongoing friendship and Farrakhan influenced Obama's administration, we can talk some more. I'm sure the white racist AG can prosecute both of them and save the republic.

Now guess who Farrakhan praised in the lead up to the 2016 election for not taking money from the Jews?
    And sat in the pews of reverend wright. And was mentored by a known terrorist. Obama's ideology is and always was clear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    You want to play the how many shady figures is this president associated with game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    So should the GOP give up the money from Trump's buddy, Steve Wynn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So should the GOP give up the money from Trump's buddy, Steve Wynn?
    Sure...I don't see how wynns actions impact america. Can you say the same about obama's associations?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Sure...I don't see how wynns actions impact america. Can you say the same about obama's associations?
    The question was in the context that the Republicans were high and mighty in demanding Democrats give back Weinstein money. As of last time I checked the news Wire late last night we have heard zero from Republicans about Wynn.

Again, show me the specific areas those people have threatened the country through Obama's presidency. Like I said, we can play the shady character game all day.