Page 842 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 3427427928328408418428438448528929421342 ... LastLast
Results 16,821 to 16,840 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    That's... A point I guess?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    more from "the field"

“The President of the United States just called on his Attorney General to put an end to an investigation in which the President, his family and campaign may be implicated,” Schiff tweeted. “This is an attempt to obstruct justice hiding in plain sight. America must never accept it.”

Trump’s lashing out Wednesday morning appeared to be prompted by the trial of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, which began on Tuesday and which is being prosecuted by Mueller’s team.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    In other words, your field continues to be RUSSIA!

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    it's pathetic how bad the republican congress is and how they view party over country in the face of this regime and it's blatant disregard of the rule of law and their continued obstruction of justice the president keeps committing openly

not to mention all the other garbage and lying
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    that is all you seem to see !!!!
    The tweet in question is about ... where to start ...

OK, here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.be4eea943dab

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    it's pathetic how bad the republican congress is and how they view party over country in the face of this regime and it's blatant disregard of the rule of law and their continued obstruction of justice the president keeps committing openly

not to mention all the other garbage and lying
    a quote from the above link:

In sum, Trump cannot treat the DOJ like his personal lawyer Michael Cohen, who gets paid to clean up Trump’s messes and protect him from political fallout. If the president tries to do so, lawyers have a constitutional and professional obligation to halt the conduct. If we ever get a responsible Congress, it can pass laws to insulate DOJ from untoward executive meddling. The other alternative, of course, would be to remove a president who fails to uphold his oath of office.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Frank Rich
    ‏Verified account @frankrichny
    21m21 minutes ago

Had Sessions the guile to obey his boss's Tweet and fire Mueller today, the obstruction case against Trump would be a slam-dunk.

On so many levels, Trumps ties to Russia are merely the tip of the iceberg.
    Surprised you don't recognize that.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-01-2018 at 02:16 PM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think this is the salient point: Trump, as an individual and as a businessman, is shady. He’s bringing a culture of corruption to the executive branch, and the entity responsible for oversight is asleep at the switch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I think this is the salient point: Trump, as an individual and as a businessman, is shady. He’s bringing a culture of corruption to the executive branch, and the entity responsible for oversight is asleep at the switch.
    Maybe we should try governing by the Constitution.

Nope. That's too radical.

Instead, we will keep expanding executive power and allow a Trump to take advantage of the precedent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    For those of us watching the Constitution is holding the Executive in check as prescribed. Witness, the Muslim Ban, Wall, Russian Conspiracy

etc etc etc

you rail out of one side of your mouth about runaway executive and out of the other condemn the checks and balances that are happening / working everyday.
    In plain sight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    " the field"

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    TDS/TAD

Running rampant in here.

Well 57 has to watch something I guess to keep him sane. "Days of Trump Lives" or "Days of Trump Lies".

Do you have the 75mg pill or the 150mg pill to keep up with the Trumps daily dosage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    lol, the constitution. Problem with the constitution is that its interpreted by biased people oftem times they just work backwards. They decide wether they want something to be constitutional or unconstitutinal long before any arguments are made. In what world can hemp be illegal. The founding fathers literally grew hemp. The first marijuana law on our books mandated the growing of hemp.

Wheres the constitution when the DEA is ****ing underage prostitutes provided by thr cartels. Wheres the constitution when the CIA is trafficking cocaine? Wheres the constitution when a cop charges your car with a crime and tells you to prove it was not used in the commission of a crime? The DEA ane CIA thing are confirmed stories at this point admitted openly in Congress and not one person has ever even gone on trial for it. What do you call government agencies that have vast authority who operate mostly in secret and are largely above the law? Feels like theres a word for that sort of thing.

Most of America is a constitution free zone. 100 miles inland from every border is considered a constitution free zone that gives border patrol all kinds of authority. to do what they want. Government magically granting itself the power to suspend the constitution wherever it designates. That sounds like freedom to me.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 08-02-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I noticed that nobody commented on the 4% Q2 GDP number announced last week.

That's a different field than RUSSIA! and it actually impacts people

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

It got about as much play as the two consecutive quarters of 4%-plus GDP growth in 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It got about as much play as the two consecutive quarters of 4%-plus GDP growth in 2014.
    Only difference is interest rates have been raised 7 times since then and no QE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

I noticed that nobody commented on the Treasury Department's plans to ramp up debt issuance to cover the deficit. From an article in the WSJ yesterday:

In all, the Treasury plans to borrow $329 billion from July through September—up $56 billion from the agency’s April estimate—in addition to $440 billion in October through December. The figures are 63% higher than what the Treasury borrowed during the same six-month period last year.

Now it is an open question how much "credit" the executive branch deserves for GDP growth in any quarter. But I think fiscal policy is something for which it does have a fairly clear responsibility.

CBO deficit projections: fiscal year 2017 (actual) $665 billion, FY 2018 $804 B, FY 2019 $981B, FY 2020 $1,008B

Its not that hard to gin up GDP growth if you blow a $300 billion hole in federal finances, especially when it comes at a time when the economy is already growing at a decent clip. Given the state of the economy the current administration inherited, I wouldn't call it an accomplishment. I would call it irresponsible.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I noticed that nobody commented on the Treasury Department's plans to ramp up debt issuance to cover the deficit. From an article in the WSJ yesterday:

In all, the Treasury plans to borrow $329 billion from July through September—up $56 billion from the agency’s April estimate—in addition to $440 billion in October through December. The figures are 63% higher than what the Treasury borrowed during the same six-month period last year.

Now it is an open question how much "credit" the executive branch deserves for GDP growth in any quarter. But I think fiscal policy is something for which it does have a fairly clear responsibility.

CBO deficit projections: fiscal year 2017 (actual) $665 billion, FY 2018 $804 B, FY 2019 $981B, FY 2020 $1,008B

Its not that hard to gin up GDP growth if you blow a $300 billion hole in federal finances, especially when it comes at a time when the economy is already growing at a decent clip. Given the state of the economy the current administration inherited, I wouldn't call it an accomplishment. I would call it irresponsible.
    It's not hard and yet Obama couldn't get us 1 year of 3% despite more deficits than previous 43 president's combined

Trump's spending is reckless and irresponsible. I've never argued otherwise. But don't act like you care now.

Neither party is interested in cutting spending.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Only difference is interest rates have been raised 7 times since then and no QE.
    The economy is a stream that requires different actions at different phases. Fed has its eye on inflation and adjusts interest rates accordingly. One can argue if the interest rate hikes are needed--the President doesn't seem to think so--but for those of us who lived through stagflation in the late-1970s and the Volcker decision to wring inflation out of the economy with high interest rates, what is happening is prudent. Basically, the economy is bigger than any single President or Congress. The idea is to promote the appropriate actions to manage things as opposed to trying to promote radical change because the economy is going to do what it is going to do. I agree with Hayek on that part of the equation.

It also should be pointed out that even with the high GDP numbers in the second and third quarters of 2014, the Democrats were pounded in the mid-terms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The economy is a stream that requires different actions at different phases. Fed has its eye on inflation and adjusts interest rates accordingly. One can argue if the interest rate hikes are needed--the President doesn't seem to think so--but for those of us who lived through stagflation in the late-1970s and the Volcker decision to wring inflation out of the economy with high interest rates, what is happening is prudent. Basically, the economy is bigger than any single President or Congress. The idea is to promote the appropriate actions to manage things as opposed to trying to promote radical change because the economy is going to do what it is going to do. I agree with Hayek on that part of the equation.

It also should be pointed out that even with the high GDP numbers in the second and third quarters of 2014, the Democrats were pounded in the mid-terms.
    I absolutely believe interest rates should have been raised.

But that doesn't change the fact that it is a headwind for growth.

Obama has the most accommodative fed for economic growth in history but failed to yield 3% growth

(To be clear, Trump hasn't either, but I think we're a good bet for it this year if this tarrifs stuff doesn't blow up)