Page 952 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 45285290294295095195295395496210021052 ... LastLast
Results 19,021 to 19,040 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    When your defense of a president is how admired he is then yiuve pretty much concluded his policies were a disaster
    that emphasis' his policies are visa vie to popularity.

Perhaps Trump is so un popular due to his policies !

I have argued for years (R) is forced to rig elections and gerrymander districts because their policies are unacceptable to the electorate
    and with out Russian interference or dark money or again gerrymandered districts
    they wouldn't win ****

Tell me again how this is supposed to work ---- a few are to decide for the many ?

Maybe constitution boi will weigh in and tell us all how it is spelled out
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Foxconn may not build 10b Plant on Wisconsin

Don't think this will be on Hannity's breaking news.
    Forever Fredi

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    VA governor when asked about the controversial abortion bill...

“If a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen,” he continued. “The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”

What the ****?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    are you still in high school ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    No I was against infanticide in kindergarten I think. Never was able to shed that desire to keep babies alive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

“If a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen,” he continued. “The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”

What the ****?
    Straight up murder. Anyone that is involved in a process like that should be thrown in jail for life.
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Ludwig Von Mises is an acknowledged expert in his field, with completely contradicting views. Her distinguished academic career was aided of course by her lying about her race to get accepted... that does look stupid.
    Ok, none of that really addresses the point. Your habit is to attack people’s intelligence—both posters here and public figures—with no justification other than your own moral certainty. People can be both smart and wrong, or both smart and dishonest. Holding policy positions or philosophies you disagree with isn’t really where the bar is set. To take one of your favorite examples, there are smart people who believe that minimum wage increases are net negatives, and smart people who believe that they’re net positives. Believe it or not, some of those same smart people produce research that reaches opposite conclusions. This goes back to a critique that jpx had of your “it’s just math” philosophy. Economics is a social science. It ain’t just math. There are plenty of smart folks here, some of whom are well to the right of me politically, who basically agree that the questions of taxation and growth are mostly just questions of degree and time. You’re basically alone in making your extremist arguments, and ascribing lack of intelligence or inability to do math to people with whom you disagree.

Von Mises wrote that fascism saved Western Civilization from communism, fwiw. He was undoubtedly an impressive intellect, yet having that as part of your legacy would seem rather harder to shake than claiming Native American heritage. Also fwiw, Elizabeth Warren did not benefit professionally from that identification, but I’d hardly expect you to be bothered by a detail like that.

You tend to ignore the data of my posts and zero in on other details to derail the topic... I often repeat my direct question to you over and over and over again with no response. Let's hope this time will be different
    If that makes you feel better. I sometimes think we have a divergent opinion on what constitutes “data.”

You don't have to be a ideologue to understand this won't fly with the current constitution... Nor do you have to be a Harvard law professor like Warren.
    You posted a good argument for that being the case. There’s a paper published by U of Indiana Law that puts forth the view that the court has largely upheld the power to tax fairly broadly, but one 1895 decision which is fairly legally vulnerable is the sticking point. It’s worth a read.

France imposed a wealth tax which caused over 12,000 millionaires to emigrate per year, the largest outflow of rich people in the world. Over 8 million middle class workers had their social security contributions raised to help fill the gap. You may have heard about rioting in the streets due to a new gas tax on the working people.

Oh, the French repealed that tax last year because it was costing them so much money. Since 1990, 12 European countries had wealth taxes, and 8 of them have repealed them including Sweden and Norway. Why would such great economic boons be repealed so quickly I wonder?
    France repealed the tax and replaced it with a tax on real estate, rather than total assets. But the question to me is whether you’d really expect Americans to flee the country if a similar tax were enacted.

Because rich people will leave with the middle class holding the bag. See France.
    Studies of intrastate mobility suggest that this is not the case. And, again, where exactly would these folks go?

Cool. So you just take it away then? Their parents left it for them, they get taxed on it in that transfer. That's not enough, I suppose in your thirst for the rich

What about those that earned it? Bezos, Gates, Musk, Shultz, etc.? Take it away too... despite all the good they've done for people, workers, etc. You think our government can do better? Why?
    Something like 1700 families are potentially subject to the estate tax. And the fact that you think that workers should be thanking people who’ve been largely responsible for decades of attacks on workers’s rights, for the rise of monopsony and the devaluing of their labor, is really telling. As notably rich guy Warren Buffet has said, class warfare is real, and his class is winning.

This is assuming the government can do this efficiently, which they've proven time and time again they can't. The bureaucratic costs alone are estimated to be 14-16%... plus there are tons of studies highlighting hundreds of billion in redundancy costs from the massive bureaucracy.

I've asked you before. What has the federal government done more efficiently than the market? As mentioned, the two things Americans are struggling most with are education and healthcare debt - the two things the government subsidizes the most. Why do you think this is, Julio? And why do you think it will get better if we give them even more control?
    Medicare administrative costs vs private insurance. The post office. You’ve been presented with the same answers before. And to your latter point, I’ve said many times that my preference is not government subsidy of private health insurance.

Why does she attack a private citizen's choice to buy a yacht. Why do you, 57 and others always ignore the fact that building yachts does in fact produce jobs. Money in the bank is lent out to people who need it. Investments are made in businesses who employ people. 57 keeps saying "hoarding" but never answers when I ask him what he thinks happens to the money while sitting in a bank. What do you think happens to it?
    One thing that happens is that it buys American debt, the creation of which is further exacerbated by huge tax cuts. Another thing is the “financialization” of the economy creating bubbles like the housing/credit crisis of the oughts. That’s a neat little trick. But, if you want the sum of your argument to be that we should be glad that Daniel Snyder is buying a megayacht so we can get jobs swabbing its decks, go ahead.

Just as an aside: Daniel Snyder’s megayacht was built in the Netherlands.

Oh I know you are proud to confiscate from people who have more than you. What a hero. I've asked you now I believe 6 times whether you think it's OK for me to steal from my rich neighbor under the same basis, and you've yet to answer. Will you now?
    No, I do not think it’s ok to steal from your rich neighbor, but I do think it’s ok to vote for people and advocate for policy that will ensure broader-based economic security and wider prosperity. That’s the historical role of the social safety net in America, and the end result of more labor power.

I first framed it up as unconstitutional - to which you incorrectly dismissed away.
    You present a good argument for the unconstitutionality of that kind of direct tax.

I then framed it up in pure numbers, that it will lead to less revenue and prosperity - To which you completely ignored and gleefully cheered about a rich person having to pay more.
    No, you posted a tweet from a blogger with some back-of-an-envelope calculations, the provenance of which are unknown. And, it must be noted, didn’t include the other side of the equation—the societal benefits of those tax receipts.

I then framed it up as a basis of morality - to which you ignored the rest of the substantive debate to focus on that which you frequently do. It's funny - you're happy to talk about the morality of separating children from their parents at the boarder - but you try to dismiss and entire argument based on morality here.

But don't act like I'm simply making an emotional plea here - that's lazy, ignorant, and dumb.
    Whenever you personally attack me for wanting to steal someone’s money out of envy or spite, that’s pretty transparently an emotional argument. And your case against taxes is purely a moral one. If you could convincingly demonstrate that your “no taxes/no safety net” position was beneficial, seems like you’d have done so at long last.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Um... you posted a chart showing how each wealth bracket is substantially richer than they were 40 years ago.
    The nation's real GDP from 1973 to 2017 has tripled. We see the income again, just income, not wealth or other ways of making money going to the wealthy at a larger rate than ever. Again, you can compare the pre-Reaganomics era to the post, for about 40 years the rich and the poor rose at the same rate. Then the 80s kicked in with Supply Side economics and now all of the sudden the top rates make money faster than ever. It's all right there.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The nation's real GDP from 1973 to 2017 has tripled.
    You don't say...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Foxconn may not build 10b Plant on Wisconsin

Don't think this will be on Hannity's breaking news.
    i posted it at post #19019

and of course it won't

it's all bull**** from this regime
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Southern Poverty Law Center
    ‏Verified account @splcenter

Proud Boys is now functioning as Roger Stone's security.

This is a group that promotes violence, most recently threatening Portland's mayor. The same one yelling "***got" & "****ing foreigner" as they beat a protester in the street.

This is a hate group.

I suspect from the rhetoric we hear there are sympathizers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

What the ****?
    If the reblicans dont make this an every day talking point then they have no clue what they are doing. Such a small percentage of the population thinks thisnis right but this i where the progressives are currently
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    yeah, drill that propaganda home

lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    yeah, drill that propaganda home

lol
    What propoganda? Direct quotes?

Please continue to become more radical. You will get destroyed in every general election.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    you keep saying that and don't even see the irony

it's funny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    It's on video Goldy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-31-2019), MrShwag (01-31-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    and you think that meme/tweet is true

how cute

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i see "freedom lover" is trying his meme/tweet way of staying off topic in the trump presidency thread now

nice 1,2 attack of distraction from the dumpster fire by not staying on course