Page 651 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 1515516016416496506516526536617017511151 ... LastLast
Results 13,001 to 13,020 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    These pictures, and the people in them, just make me laugh. Do any of them think they'll change anyone's mind by clogging traffic and leaving a bunch of trash when they go? I mean, congratulations, a bunch of you in the same Twitter/Facebook echo chamber managed to waste the same Saturday by throwing a tantrum. You're essentially 4 year olds with access to social media and a car.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-21-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You keep repeating this position, but the only person I see framing the debate about who has claim to popular authority on the matter is you.
    I repeated it because you framed Trump's election win as a popular mandate for hardline immigration policy. I'm offering a different perspective on that purported mandate. If you think I'm right or wrong, fine...if I misunderstood you, ok. I thought what you said was pretty clear.

I don’t entirely agree with all parts of what you say here, but I definitely align with the underlying sentiment.
    And I agree with this sentiment, as well. The blame game entirely depends on the power dynamic, and we should not pretend to be shocked by contradictory positions or lack of accountability on either side.

I'd prefer to look at the merits of the respective policy, such as it exists. The D proposal seemed more reasonable, more capable of achieving consensus, and probably more palatable to the public, though I realize that it wasn't enough. The R position looks pretty extreme. Seems like there should have been room to keep talking.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    How about just coming up with a nice piece of legislation that contents all parties?

But you wanna gauge the public tide by ... crowd size? And get rid of that little number we call the democratic process?

Sheeesh.
    I'd humbly suggest that, given R support for Durbin/Graham, there's an objective answer to which direction we could go to do that. Shall we call a spade a spade on policy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,736 Posts

not so much.

We need to rethink the 50% + 1 brand of governance
    or in this case, 46.1 plus ---- 5 targeted districts

I agree. We need ranked choice badly. This 2 party duoply is not working. I think a parliamentary system is much better. Good luck getting Republicans and Democrats to agree to anything that loosens their grip on the throat of America. The only thing they do agree on is **** the third parties.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    These pictures, and the people in them, just make me laugh. Do any of them think they'll change anyone's mind by clogging traffic and leaving a bunch of trash when they go? I mean, congratulations, a bunch of you in the same Twitter/Facebook echo chamber managed to waste the same Saturday by throwing a tantrum. You're essentially 4 year olds with access to social media and a car.
    It's just democracy at work. Pull your hateful claws in. You have church in the morning.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    It's just democracy at work.
    So was the election.
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-21-2018 at 02:41 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-22-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'd humbly suggest that, given R support for Durbin/Graham, there's an objective answer to which direction we could go to do that. Shall we call a spade a spade on policy?
    the deja vu is strong with this one

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I repeated it because you framed Trump's election win as a popular mandate for hardline immigration policy. I'm offering a different perspective on that purported mandate. If you think I'm right or wrong, fine...if I misunderstood you, ok. I thought what you said was pretty clear.
    I never said that a hardline on immigration was mandated by the vote.

I said that the vote gave hardliners a place at the table.

I've laid this out three times now, twice with absolute specificity.
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-21-2018 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    So was the election.
    And so is the investigation and so will be the outcome, whatever it is.

And so is my support for a multi-cultural democracy and your support for Captain Tighty Whities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    NO votes by the Reps :

Paul Ryan
    Mitch McConnell
    Jeff Flake Ariz.
    Lindsey Graham S.C.
    Mike Lee

They lost by 10 votes but with the GOP leadership voting NO, it's clear they wanted the shutdown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    NYT

EJ Dionne
    ‏Verified account @EJDionne
    8h8 hours ago

"It was fitting that the anniversary of #Trump's inauguration

would be a day of chaos, uncertainty, recrimination and efforts at political point-scoring.

That has been a hallmark of the Trump presidency."
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-21-2018 at 06:29 AM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Remember Trump announcing he would wash his hands of his business' and they would be run by Don Jr ?

Public Citizen
    ‏Verified account @Public_Citizen
    9h9 hours ago

.@realDonaldTrump has maintained a stake in hundreds of

businesses and created at least 49 since announcing his candidacy for president.

Here’s our web documenting Trump’s business entanglements during

his first year in office:
    http://bit.ly/2mTDLOI

I am old enough to remember when the promise of taking a meeting after a charitable donation was considered "corrupt"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

CK86 (01-21-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    NO votes by the Reps :

Paul Ryan
    Mitch McConnell
    Jeff Flake Ariz.
    Lindsey Graham S.C.
    Mike Lee

They lost by 10 votes but with the GOP leadership voting NO, it's clear they wanted the shutdown.
    Stop it...if the vote had enough D support those guys would have voted for the bill. Just like the Ds who voted for it only did so because thy knew it wouldn't pass. It plays to he base of their jurisdictions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...form=hootsuite

"Having read the memo I was shocked, absolutely shocked — shocked and disappointed," said Rep. George Holding, a former United States attorney from North Carolina who often used FISA in his former work. "I can't say anything about what's in the memo…but I think anyone reading this would quickly understand that the process was abused."

Heads are going to roll. Once the public sees this memo the demand to declassify the whole FISA application will swell. That is when Trump will and should declassify.

Curious that the Dems wouldn't even want to read the memo. IF they are so sure everything the Obama administration did was legal then why not just read the memo and then create the counter argument to what the Republicans are saying right? I mean, the answer is obvious and it will play out poorly for Obama moving forward.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/by...form=hootsuite

"Having read the memo I was shocked, absolutely shocked — shocked and disappointed," said Rep. George Holding, a former United States attorney from North Carolina who often used FISA in his former work. "I can't say anything about what's in the memo…but I think anyone reading this would quickly understand that the process was abused."

Heads are going to roll. Once the public sees this memo the demand to declassify the whole FISA application will swell. That is when Trump will and should declassify.

Curious that the Dems wouldn't even want to read the memo. IF they are so sure everything the Obama administration did was legal then why not just read the memo and then create the counter argument to what the Republicans are saying right? I mean, the answer is obvious and it will play out poorly for Obama moving forward.
    Trump could order it declassified so we could all reach our own conclusions.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Trump could order it declassified so we could all reach our own conclusions.
    This process is much better. It is strategic so it can't be construed as obstruction. When the public sentiment reaches a new high to understand the abuses of the Obama administration then it will be declassified. Trump and his advisers have played this masterfully because like you said he could have declassified at any point in time. Trump has seen all of this since he took office so every step following was most likely contemplated in such a way to ensure that this would not be seen as an attempt as a scapegoat. I'm sure you would love for him to release it so it would be viewed as obstruction.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    more of that 4 dimensional chess ?

clever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/we...rticle/2646567

Under the guidance, states can receive waivers to require able-bodied adults to work, train, or volunteer as a condition of Medicaid eligibility. This will finally bring Medicaid into alignment with other major welfare programs, which have successfully used similar rules for decades.

Work requirements have proven to be a highly effective way to move adults out of dependency. When states implemented work requirements in other welfare programs, they saw able-bodied adults leave welfare in record numbers and find work in more than 600 different industries. Those leaving welfare saw their incomes more than double on average.

This new guidance could not have come at a better time. States are already grappling with skyrocketing enrollment and Medicaid costs, largely driven by able-bodied adults. Nationwide, nearly 28 million able-bodied adults are now dependent on the program, up from fewer than 7 million in 2000. This enrollment explosion is fueling a massive spending surge, with spending on able-bodied adults having increased by a jaw-dropping 700 percent over that same time.

These are obvious policy changes. Glad that those that truly need these programs will benefit more from the logjam being released as those who should not receive these benefits are forced to work.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    more of that 4 dimensional chess ?

clever
    In a few years you are going to look back and realize all the good that has been done. It will take time to get through the brainwashing but at some point it will be undeniable.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Axios‏Verified account @axios

A majority of Republicans under 45 want Trump to face a 2020 primary challenger, per a new Axios/Survey Monkey poll

https://www.axios.com/younger-republ...mpaign=organic

this is why the Kasich wing laying blame on (R) for the shutdown has bearing.
    Will be an interesting week

Historically sitting Presidents, nor their party, facing primary challenges don't fare so well.

In my life ?
    Johnson
    Carter
    Bush 41