Page 1258 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 25875811581208124812561257125812591260126813081358 ... LastLast
Results 25,141 to 25,160 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    See

Here is actual fake news

The president sharing a doctored clip

As opposed to the actual clip I shared you called fake news

"For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Jeff Tiedrich
    @itsJeffTiedrich
    ·
    Jun 4
    our president is enormously popular and beloved by everybody,

which is why the White House now has a third fence around it
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CBE4y_9H...d=dm93cr5x3d5n

Uh oh, Brees taking on Trump. Hope this doesnt get ugly. Dont underestimate the power of the cult or Trump in Louisiana.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Bret Stephens with a rather good column.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/o...gtype=Homepage

This spring I taught a seminar (via Zoom, of course) at the University of Chicago on the art of political persuasion. We read Lincoln, Pericles, King, Orwell, Havel and Churchill, among other great practitioners of the art. We ended with a study of Donald Trump’s tweets, as part of a class on demagogy.

If the closing subject was depressing, at least the timing was appropriate.

We are in the midst of an unprecedented national catastrophe. The catastrophe is not the pandemic, or an economic depression, or killer cops, or looted cities, or racial inequities. These are all too precedented. What’s unprecedented is that never before have we been led by a man who so completely inverts the spirit of Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address.

With malice toward all; with charity for none: eight words that encapsulate everything this president is, does and stands for.

What does one learn when reading great political speeches and writings? That well-chosen words are the way by which past deeds acquire meaning and future deeds acquire purpose. “The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here,” are the only false notes in the Gettysburg Address. The Battle of Gettysburg is etched in national memory less for its military significance than because Lincoln reinvented the goals of the Civil War in that speech — and, in doing so, reimagined the possibilities of America.

Political writing doesn’t just provide meaning and purpose. It also offers determination, hope and instruction.

In “The Power of the Powerless,” written at one of the grimmer moments of Communist tyranny, Václav Havel laid out why the system was so much weaker, and the individual so much stronger, than either side knew.

In his “Fight on the beaches” speech after Dunkirk, Winston Churchill told Britons of “a victory inside this deliverance” — a reason, however remote, for resolve and optimism.

In “Letter From Birmingham Jail,” Martin Luther King Jr., explained why patience was no answer to injustice: “When you have seen hate-filled policemen curse, kick, brutalize, and even kill your black brothers and sisters with impunity … then you will understand why we find it difficult to wait.”

In a word, great political writing aims to elevate. What, by contrast, does one learn by studying Trump’s utterances?

The purpose of Trump’s presidency is to debase, first by debasing the currency of speech. It’s why he refuses to hire reasonably competent speechwriters to craft reasonably competent speeches. It’s why his communication team has been filled by people like Dan Scavino and Stephanie Grisham and Sarah Sanders.

And it’s why Twitter is his preferred medium of communication. It is speech designed for provocations and put-downs; for making supporters feel smug; for making opponents seethe; for reducing national discourse to the level of grunts and counter-grunts.

I write this as someone who doesn’t lay every national problem at Trump’s feet and tries to give him credit when I think it’s due.

Trump is no more responsible for the policing in Minneapolis than Barack Obama was responsible for policing in Ferguson. I doubt the pandemic would have been handled much better by a Hillary Clinton administration, especially considering the catastrophic errors of judgment by people like Bill de Blasio and Andrew Cuomo. And our economic woes are largely the result of a lockdown strategy most avidly embraced by the president’s critics.

But the point here isn’t that Trump is responsible for the nation’s wounds. It’s that he is the reason some of those wounds have festered and why none of them can heal, at least for as long as he remains in office. Until we have a president who can say, as Lincoln did in his first inaugural, “We are not enemies, but friends” — and be believed in the bargain — our national agony will only grow worse.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-06-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CBE4y_9H...d=dm93cr5x3d5n

Uh oh, Brees taking on Trump. Hope this doesnt get ugly. Dont underestimate the power of the cult or Trump in Louisiana.
    Brees stepped into it bigly with his first statement on the flag. I was really surprised he took that obviously stupid stance. Talk about an unforced error.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    "I am going to be so Presedential that you people will be bored"

"I am going to be more Presedential than anybody except Abe Lincoln"

"I will be so Presedental that you will call me and say "Donald you have to stop that""

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Brees stepped into it bigly with his first statement on the flag. I was really surprised he took that obviously stupid stance. Talk about an unforced error.

There were a lot of rumors he has political aspirations after he retires. He certainly could win any election in Louisiana. Not sure if he will now that he can make big bucks as a broadcaster.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Bret Stephens with a rather good column.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/o...gtype=Homepage

This spring I taught a seminar (via Zoom, of course) at the University of Chicago on the art of political persuasion. We read Lincoln, Pericles, King, Orwell, Havel and Churchill, among other great practitioners of the art. We ended with a study of Donald Trump’s tweets, as part of a class on demagogy.

If the closing subject was depressing, at least the timing was appropriate.

We are in the midst of an unprecedented national catastrophe. The catastrophe is not the pandemic, or an economic depression, or killer cops, or looted cities, or racial inequities. These are all too precedented. What’s unprecedented is that never before have we been led by a man who so completely inverts the spirit of Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address.

With malice toward all; with charity for none: eight words that encapsulate everything this president is, does and stands for.

What does one learn when reading great political speeches and writings? That well-chosen words are the way by which past deeds acquire meaning and future deeds acquire purpose. “The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here,” are the only false notes in the Gettysburg Address. The Battle of Gettysburg is etched in national memory less for its military significance than because Lincoln reinvented the goals of the Civil War in that speech — and, in doing so, reimagined the possibilities of America.

Political writing doesn’t just provide meaning and purpose. It also offers determination, hope and instruction.

In “The Power of the Powerless,” written at one of the grimmer moments of Communist tyranny, Václav Havel laid out why the system was so much weaker, and the individual so much stronger, than either side knew.

In his “Fight on the beaches” speech after Dunkirk, Winston Churchill told Britons of “a victory inside this deliverance” — a reason, however remote, for resolve and optimism.

In “Letter From Birmingham Jail,” Martin Luther King Jr., explained why patience was no answer to injustice: “When you have seen hate-filled policemen curse, kick, brutalize, and even kill your black brothers and sisters with impunity … then you will understand why we find it difficult to wait.”

In a word, great political writing aims to elevate. What, by contrast, does one learn by studying Trump’s utterances?

The purpose of Trump’s presidency is to debase, first by debasing the currency of speech. It’s why he refuses to hire reasonably competent speechwriters to craft reasonably competent speeches. It’s why his communication team has been filled by people like Dan Scavino and Stephanie Grisham and Sarah Sanders.

And it’s why Twitter is his preferred medium of communication. It is speech designed for provocations and put-downs; for making supporters feel smug; for making opponents seethe; for reducing national discourse to the level of grunts and counter-grunts.

I write this as someone who doesn’t lay every national problem at Trump’s feet and tries to give him credit when I think it’s due.

Trump is no more responsible for the policing in Minneapolis than Barack Obama was responsible for policing in Ferguson. I doubt the pandemic would have been handled much better by a Hillary Clinton administration, especially considering the catastrophic errors of judgment by people like Bill de Blasio and Andrew Cuomo. And our economic woes are largely the result of a lockdown strategy most avidly embraced by the president’s critics.

But the point here isn’t that Trump is responsible for the nation’s wounds. It’s that he is the reason some of those wounds have festered and why none of them can heal, at least for as long as he remains in office. Until we have a president who can say, as Lincoln did in his first inaugural, “We are not enemies, but friends” — and be believed in the bargain — our national agony will only grow worse.
    Litefally the same article recycled for 3.5 years.

Wow! Great article.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Litefally the same article recycled for 3.5 years.

Wow! Great article.
    Your boy is a punk. Glad to see more people talking about it, including Mattis and Kelly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Your boy is a punk. Glad to see more people talking about it, including Mattis and Kelly.
    Got to love supporting the war machine.

Lots of people are mad at Trump because the cookie jar is ending.

I worry for you for the next 4 years.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to love supporting the war machine.

Lots of people are mad at Trump because the cookie jar is ending.

I worry for you for the next 4 years.
    How is the war machine ending if he's cutting taxes while continuously increasing military spending
    Forever Fredi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

goldfly (06-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    How is the war machine ending if he's cutting taxes while continuously increasing military spending
    Neglect is expensive. Had to correct poor decisions from the past. Dknt worry. The next 4 years will include prosperity and a much more balanced budget.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    13.3% was a "miscalculation" as noted
    Never the less the Administration touted the mis calculated number ignoring the note

Where I come from that is an intentional deception

Like I said earlier, seems everything they say once it hits sunshine has a totally different hue

"Follow the money. Who bought or sold stocks within those 24 hours?"
    Last edited by 57Brave; 06-06-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    13.3% was a "miscalculation" as noted
    Never the less the Administration touted the mis calculated number ignoring the note

Where I come from that is an intentional deception

Like I said earlier, seems everything they say once it hits sunshine has a totally different hue

"Follow the money. Who bought or sold stocks within those 24 hours?"
    LOL.

If you are going to purposely deceive then words of advice:

1) Don’t put your deception in the report where it can be clearly found
    2) Don’t intentionally deceive when the “miscalculation” actually undersells the rate of improvement from April to May.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Jeff Tiedrich
    @itsJeffTiedrich
    ·
    Jun 4
    our president is enormously popular and beloved by everybody,

which is why the White House now has a third fence around it
    Mexico built it for him.

The protestors seems to have a good idea of what to do with it.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-06-2020), Carp (06-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/mark-m...test-crackdown

As I said for a while when things get bad Trump is going to lose it. This has nothing to do with Trump when it started and he is insisting on bring the villain in this narrative. If the Trump tards start reading the tea leaves **** could really get interesting. Trump is going to crack if he believes defeat is inevitable. He is going to dispute the election based on him not being able to hold all the rallies and the virus lockdown. The setup is obvious in the propoganda they filter to their base. Thanks to thethe I dont have to seek it out. He brings it to us.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/mark-m...test-crackdown

As I said for a while when things get bad Trump is going to lose it. This has nothing to do with Trump when it started and he is insisting on bring the villain in this narrative. If the Trump tards start reading the tea leaves **** could really get interesting. Trump is going to crack if he believes defeat is inevitable. He is going to dispute the election based on him not being able to hold all the rallies and the virus lockdown. The setup is obvious in the propoganda they filter to their base. Thanks to thethe I dont have to seek it out. He brings it to us.
    Trump is at war with democracy itself. Anyone can see it. Problem is, his supporters have no problem with that. Very short-sighted thinking, imo.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

23. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Carp (06-09-2020)