Page 551 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 514515015415495505515525535616016511051 ... LastLast
Results 11,001 to 11,020 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I answered your question.

I'd tell them to find a job that meets their skillset, or re-skill.

You can say I'm being smarmy... But I work 60 hours a week and am making time to to better my skillset.

Why can't others do the same?
    Agree with this completely. You can't just expect to have everything done for you. Jobs will be crated but you have to be ready to be qualified for those jobs. It's not difficult either. It just takes hard work and sacrifice. An inconvenient truth that nobody wants to tell their stuggling constituency.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    California is an absolute joke. One of the most embarrassing verdicts in our countries history.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    California is an absolute joke. One of the most embarrassing verdicts in our countries history.
    I’m probably the most anti-crime person on this board but the charge was an overreach. It can’t be murder with intent. I don’t think the intent was proven especially since it was a ricochet shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I know very few details about the trial, but I expect the not guilty verdict will sway a few more people over to the side of enforcing immigration law.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I know very few details about the trial, but I expect the not guilty verdict will sway a few more people over to the side of enforcing immigration law.
    That’s my thought. So many more people are going to be pissed that a guy already kicked out of the country five times came back over the border and caused the death of a young American lady. This verdict is actually a blessing in disguise for those who want to enforce immigration laws

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    This is perversely punitive. It's a minuscule drop-in-the-bucket to the federal budget, but will meaningfully burden a great many folks simply trying to improve their skills or advance important scholarship. It will keep good students from becoming better students; skilled workers from gaining more skills; it will send brighter folks to better-funded opportunities abroad; it will send public-good research, conducted largely by graduate students in public and private-non-profit research institutions, into the private-for-profit hands of corporate research institutions. It will significantly impinge upon or endanger the quality of life of many of my colleagues. And personally, it may make pursuing doctoral studies after I finish my masters program financially infeasible.

And this isn't about "subsidizing" people's education. One of the most damaging measures is the proposal to tax waived tuition, which simply is not income and should not be taxed as such. Graduate student income—teaching salaries, stipends, et cetera—are already taxed. This is anti-pedagogic score-settling.
    I 100 percent agree with your general point, and I have already shared multiple times why I think taxing that income is generally a bad idea.

But I have two problems with how the media (and the universities) are covering this issue:

(1) There has been zero focus on the Senate version of the tax plan that doesn't strike out the tuition exemption from the tax code. At this point, I would think it would be highly unlikely the final version of the bill would eliminate the exemption, mainly because there isn't any political points to gain for House Republicans to debate the issue with Senate Republicans. Where I take issue is this information is hardly being reported because everyone is still focusing on the House version of the bill.

(2) Even if the exemption is removed from the tax code, universities could simply reclassify the tuition income as a scholarship, which would still be tax exempt. In other words, I think the real reason universities have been using fear mongering tactics to rally students to protest tax reform has nothing to do with the tuition exemption and everything to do with the removal of the endowment contribution tax exemption, which will stay under both versions of the bill. If it were the former, they could very simply reach out to current and prospective graduate students to let them know they will do everything in their power to ensure they aren't affected. The fact that this isn't happening is kind of gross, in my opinion.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 12-01-2017 at 12:17 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-01-2017), jpx7 (12-01-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    not invited to the UK anymore

great job dotard

but at least some tyrants like Russia, Turkey and the Philippines are your buddies now
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    haha
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Your world philosophy doesn't even allow you to imagine what's possible, and that's quite sad. In your "equal outcome" philosophy, you can only think about how we can subsidize the lack of progress of people.

However, in an economy that is not strangled by needless regulation, wealth is created and growth is had. When this happens, more jobs are created out of necessity, not out of pity. As new technologies and products emerge, new opportunities are created. If we adapt, we will grow. If you're not growing, you're dying.

Even today, technology has advanced so rapidly, that your premise would seem to stand that there aren't enough jobs for people. And yet, here we are, with more Americans working than in the history of the country. This is not an accident. This is because we have created wealth. And we have grown. And people were needed to accelerate that. We would do so much faster if it weren't for our ridiculous tax and regulatory system.

So, I reject your question as even a possibility.

I do not believe we should hire someone to dig a hole, and then hire someone to fill that hole. Do you?
    I don't know how many times I have to tell you that I do not espouse an "equal outcome philosophy", just an operational minimum of material security ensured by society. I used to genuinely value conversing with you, even despite our strong disagreement on some key issues; but if you're going to continue this recent trend of arguing on bad-faith interpretations of my positions, I'm not sure the point.

Meanwhile, the rest of your post is a lot of strong rhetoric and weak argument. Ok, "wealth is created and growth is had"—for whom? by whom? You say "more Americans working than in the history of the country", but to what quality-of-life? That's a fairly senseless metric (and unsourced) on its own, and doesn't speak at all to fullness of employment or fairness of compensation. "If you're not growing, you're dying."—purely platitudinal rhetoric. As I've said before, economic growth (as we often measure it) is neither a symmetrical good nor a good in-and-of-itself. And lastly, you say "more jobs [will be] created out of necessity", and yet you still don't answer what we do for/with the folks for whom there is simply no employment—assuming, I suppose that in a market freed from "our ridiculous tax and regulatory system" that we'd have total, 100% employment. I call that postulate fairly ridiculous, even amongst all these platitudes.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    not invited to the UK anymore

great job dotard

but at least some tyrants like Russia, Turkey and the Philippines are your buddies now
    If only the UK government cared this much about Muslims killing their citizens....
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    If only the UK government cared this much about Muslims killing their citizens....
    yeah, they probably celebrate terrorism happening

how ****ing dumb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    yeah, they probably celebrate terrorism happening

how ****ing dumb
    They certainly don't care for the truth which is what is included within videos that were retweeted.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I’m probably the most anti-crime person on this board but the charge was an overreach. It can’t be murder with intent. I don’t think the intent was proven especially since it was a ricochet shot.
    And you believe the gun 'accidentally ' went off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    It's fascinating how we are in a world where trump retreating videos of Muslims killing non Muslims is worse than the actual acts themselves.

This climate that the left is creating is only fueling extremist groups agsjnst Islam because how dare you question the religion of peace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Dan Pfeiffer‏Verified account @danpfeiffer
    16h16 hours ago

Dan Pfeiffer Retweeted Lily Batchelder

Maybe we can finally put to bed the lie that the Tea Party was about deficits and not a reactionary uprising around race in America

3-2-1
    "I thought you didn't care about deficits "

Which like most else the MAGA Cultists have to say is, besides the point
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    57 - anything you like about the tax bill?
    If the Republican tax cuts bill becomes law, it will immediately trigger a $25 billion cut in Medicare. That's because of mandatory spending cuts that will kick in as a result the tax bill’s $1.5 trillion increase to the deficit. The last time this happened, that Medicare cuts were forced, wasn't that long ago. It was 2013. And as Sarah Kliff reminds us, what happened then was that cancer patients were turned away from clinics, because the clinics couldn't afford the expensive chemotherapy drugs they were administering without Medicare offsetting the costs.

In 2013, it was temporary, part of the government shutdown. This time around it would be a permanent cut. In light of that, Kliff followed up with an oncologist who sees that threat again as a result of this bill

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...icare-patients
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    2008: "Obama is underqualified! IMPEACH HIM!"
    2016: "Trump has literally zero qualifications! This makes him the perfect candidate and also he deserves full immunity from the law."
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-01-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    It's fascinating how we are in a world where trump retreating videos of Muslims killing non Muslims is worse than the actual acts themselves.
    how one earth can someone be this dense and obtuse. how is it possible.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    how one earth can someone be this dense and obtuse. how is it possible.
    You're not paying attention if you think my statement is inaccurate. The reaction to trump retweeting Muslims actually committing heinous acts is despicable in comparison to lack of reaction to what is happening every day in the world.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    You're not paying attention if you think my statement is inaccurate. The reaction to trump retweeting Muslims actually committing heinous acts is despicable in comparison to lack of reaction to what is happening every day in the world.
    he literally tweeted out fake news. the thing you moan so much about it. he tweets it out and you're A-OK with it.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-01-2017), jpx7 (12-01-2017)