Page 566 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 664665165565645655665675685766166661066 ... LastLast
Results 11,301 to 11,320 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    oh ****, this thread is moving to fast for me to keep up while trying to cook. lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    oh ****, this thread is moving to fast for me to keep up while trying to cook. lol
    I'm trying to eat and post from my cell as well!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Seriously, though, do you think that the President turning the twitter trolls loose on individual journalists and organizations is helping the temperature in the room?

I have a hard time keeping a straight face when you're criticizing media decorum but shrugging off the Trump Show as "endearing."
    So, if I'm following you correctly here, it's OK for the press to bring the scrum into the briefing room ... because the President is abrasive on Twitter?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    As for turning the other cheek. In large part, I agree. I think some people have allowed themselves to be baited (Acosta did that before, IIRC). They're NEVER going to win that one, and they'll probably diminish themselves and their credibility in the process. It's not smart.

On the other hand, it's either extremely cynical or extremely dense to lay this all in the media and not consider the context.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    And guys like Acosta are granted license to act like uncouth twats in the briefing room ... because the climate is ripe?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    It just makes me cringe to see members of the press shout down the press secretary in the briefing room. I don't care what's going on in the greater political sphere outside of the room, the briefing room/process is a forum which should remain sacrosanct - otherwise you are essentially gifting an anti-press administration permission to go even more Orwell on everyone's ass.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    That's what I'm talking about when I refer to a "hostile" press. Not hard questions. Not unified fronts. Just basic disrespect - which shouldn't inherently spawn as a natural byproduct of the combative assholery exhibited by the Commander in Chief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    So, if I'm following you correctly here, it's OK for the press to bring the scrum into the briefing room ... because the President is abrasive on Twitter?
    Seriously, you're playing some kind of "sanctity of the briefing room" card? In an environment where the now-President incorporated a two-minutes hate directed at the media into his campaign appearances...naming people who were present. Shatter every norm then whine when others don't adhere to them?

Like a colonial army should march to the field in formation and expect the rules to be Etonian when fighting a guerilla insurgency?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Seriously, you're playing some kind of "sanctity of the briefing room" card? In an environment where the now-President incorporated a two-minutes hate directed at the media into his campaign appearances...naming people who were present. Shatter every norm then whine when others don't adhere to them?

Like a colonial army should march to the field in formation and expect the rules to be Etonian when fighting a guerilla insurgency?
    That's not really even remotely comparable to what I'm referencing here.

And again, why are we unable to separate the press secretary from the President?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If the mistakes that the press are making is truly ino cent then why is it only in one direction?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Somehow its more outrageous to reveal truth as opposed to telling lies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It just makes me cringe to see members of the press shout down the press secretary in the briefing room. I don't care what's going on in the greater political sphere outside of the room, the briefing room/process is a forum which should remain sacrosanct - otherwise you are essentially gifting an anti-press administration permission to go even more Orwell on everyone's ass.
    I get it. And I repeat that I think it's bad for the media and the public when media members get baited into playing that game. The lack of decorum also ruffles my feathers, just in a personal sense.

I still think it's odd for you to be planting a flag here, though. You've generally applauded Trump for his norm-breaking. And I would've guessed that you'd see the traditional WH/WH press relationship as a cozy and conventional swamp to be drained rather than an admirable, even sacrosanct, institution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    That's not really even remotely comparable to what I'm referencing here.

And again, why are we unable to separate the press secretary from the President?
    I think the press room should be polite and respectful towards whoever's at the podium. I also think that relationship is always going to founder in this environment...you can't decouple the subordinate from the boss.* It may happen to a greater or lesser degree depending on personalities, but it's bound to happen.

*in a situation this extreme, I mean

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

57Brave (12-12-2017), Runnin (12-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Brian Fallon‏Verified account @brianefallon
    26m26 minutes ago

Opinion page for two Maine papers calls on Susan Collins to pull support for GOP tax plan
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Where's Bill O'Reilly when you need him to do a segment on Ivanka being anti-Christmas?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

Runnin (12-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    LOLGOP‏ @LOLGOP
    4m4 minutes ago

LOLGOP Retweeted Sarah Anderson

A tax bill designed by guys who'd have you max out your credit card to buy a ****ty real estate course.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Posting this again just so it doesn't get lost at the end of a page and also in the event that people want to comment on actual positive changes for minorities that we haven't seen in decades.

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ive-jobs-boom/

But the most interesting part of the jobs report, which goes almost unnoticed by the media, is that it's not just a few groups seeing more jobs and opportunity — it's broad-based, with minorities, women, men and even those with low incomes, showing the best gains.

Meanwhile, groups that have lagged in recent years also show major improvements. For instance, the jobless rate for African Americans dropped from 8% to 7.3%, while for Hispanics it fell from 5.7% to 4.7%. For Asians it stayed at an ultralow 3%.

Only one group is doing notably worse: Teenagers. Those aged 16 to 19 have seen their jobless rate rise from 15.2% to 15.9% in the past year. It's no fluke: Hefty minimum wage hikes around the country have slashed youth employment.

As for wages, average earnings rose five cents an hour, or 2.5%, from last year. But economists Brian Wesbury and Robert Stein of First Trust add that number to the change in total hours worked to get what they call "total earnings." Those are up "a sturdy 4.8% from a year ago," they said, and "wages are rising faster in the lower income ranges than in the higher ones."

Couple of things:

1) SAV your people work work work. Love it.
    2) This is why the media continues to play identity politics because they can't let their minority voting bloc understand how good the new economic reforms are for them. When you think of policies that actually impact Americans this intangable 'racism' doesn't impact them at all in comparison to actual job growth. Job growth is what will help minorities in this country and help them move forward and escape from poverty. Not screaming about how white people owned them 150+ years ago.
    3) Impact of minimum wage hikes is so predictable and always amuses me when we have calls to increase @sturg
    4) If this keeps up you are looking at Trump till 2024.

But really though - Keep pushing the fake Russia collusion narrative because God forbid you focus on anything that really impacts Americans.
    Still no discussion on how the lives of minorities have drastically improved under the trump administration huh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Still no discussion on how the lives of minorities have drastically improved under the trump administration huh?
    They need to show a little gratitude.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    They need to show a little gratitude.
    Not at all...more like they need to identify who has holding them back. They've earned the jobs they got on their own.