Page 351 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 2513013413493503513523533614014518511351 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,020 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The middle 70's the notion was floated that the installation of Alexander Haig as Chief of Staff was in effect the military covering their (and our) backs.
    the thinking being the more desperate Nixon became the more unpredictable and dangerous he became.
    I've been waiting for the military install someone in the Oval Office to watch ---- and after it happened waited for someone to write about it
    Here:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...-military-coup

In fact, the more we learn about this relationship, the more one has to wonder whether what we are really watching is a soft military coup in the making
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Which lies?

Cutting regulation?
    Securing our southern border?
    Protecting Americans against the importation of potential terrorists?
    Jon growth?
    Gdp growth?
    Immigration reform?
    Tax reform?

Which lies that actually impact Americans lives are being told?
    He lies about stuff every damn time he speaks. He will go down in history as the biggest liar to ever occupy the Oval Office.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CK86 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-06-2017), VirginiaBrave (08-06-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    He lies about stuff every damn time he speaks. He will go down in history as the biggest liar to ever occupy the Oval Office.
    This is nothing more than just an emotional reaction. Every single politician lies. An order of mangnitude of liars is how important really? Trump is not a good person. EVERYBODY knew this when they voted for him. We voted for policies and those policies have been instituted. You guys are just upset that these campaign promises are not only being executed but they are WORKING.
    Last edited by thethe; 08-06-2017 at 04:39 AM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Where the generals haven’t been empowered to run the show, they have asserted themselves nonetheless. “In the earliest weeks of Trump’s presidency,” the Associated Press reported Tuesday, Mattis and Kelly agreed “that one of them should remain in the United States at all times to keep tabs on the orders rapidly emerging from the White House.”

It would be sensationalizing things to call this a soft coup, but it is impossible to deny that real presidential powers have been diluted or usurped. Elected officials have decided that leaving the functioning of the government to unelected military officers is politically preferable to invoking constitutional remedies that would require them to vote.

https://theintercept.com/2017/08/05/...to-subvert-it/

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    lol

breitbart

lol
    Thankfully the next post has a link from the Daily Kos...we keep it fair and balanced here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Thankfully the next post has a link from the Daily Kos...we keep it fair and balanced here.
    And the article I posted was not an opinion piece. It was straight facts. Facts that the left want to sweep under the rug as fast as possible. Illegals are voting. The question is how many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And the article I posted was not an opinion piece. It was straight facts. Facts that the left want to sweep under the rug as fast as possible. Illegals are voting. The question is how many.
    Before the election there was a kur fluffle over people being registered in more than one locale. Of course the likely suspects went immediately to illegals or some such unfounded accusation.
    Do you remember ?
    do you remember there were people in the Trump transition team registered in more than one site -- thinking back Kushner was one.
    There was a perfectly logical explanation.
    He moved
    and when one moves probably the last thing one does or thinks of is unregistering to vote.
    That was the finding.

So yeah, your link is more than likely factual -- but in what context?
    Reading the Breitbart article again I saw no names other than the AG of California. But you predictably went immediately to "illegals"
    Not predictably on my say so but on Brietbarts.
    I think it is what is called "click bait" or "dog whistle" or in math "the lowest common denominator"

That is the problem with Breitbart -- remember they hired James O'Keefe to make a video on ACORN ?
    And what he found was --- that people are human and try to be helpful and in that vein will - if pushed- do things they wouldn't normally do
    Remember ?

Prove they are illegals.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-06-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The next post had absolutely nothing to do with Breitbart
    of course you didn't read it or you wouldn't have made such an inane comment

On a Sunday --- too

I was really hoping to see discussion of "The Deep State"
    but ...
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-06-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The middle 70's the notion was floated that the installation of Alexander Haig as Chief of Staff was in effect the military covering their (and our) backs.
    the thinking being the more desperate Nixon became the more unpredictable and dangerous he became.
    I've been waiting for the military install someone in the Oval Office to watch ---- and after it happened waited for someone to write about it
    Here:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...-military-coup

In fact, the more we learn about this relationship, the more one has to wonder whether what we are really watching is a soft military coup in the making
    This is ... a pipe piece.

It reminds me of that HBO Original about the military coup starring Forest Whitaker, The Enemy Within.

The theory is certainly interesting (like a cheap paperback), but I think the question you need to ask yourself is whether or not that oversight would be democratically sound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I don't know -- I have mixed emotions.

to your question of course it isn't democratically sound
    But a lot of things that happen in weird times are not

Japanese internment
    Alexexander Haig
    Lincoln pulling back Habeus Corpus (I think that is what it was)

To name 3.

Did you read Greenwalds piece ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Echoing thethe ... with who? The same people who didn't support him to begin with.

If you look at state by state approval ratings virtually nothing has changed about how Americans view Trump since November.
    Actually a lot has changed. Trump has proven to the populace and the world that he isn't up to the job. Independents and anybody near the fence on him on election day has seen the ugly reality. He has not the intellect or the skills for the job. He may as well be MIA for all he's bringing to the office.

His support is eroding, though I'll admit it's hard to convince people who don't believe in facts. When you get down to the 35% number, a.k.a. the 'Honey Boo Boo' folks, you can be sure the powers that run this country have left you. Trump is virtually alone at this point, with a military man installed to run him and his office.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Actually a lot has changed. Trump has proven to the populace and the world that he isn't up to the job. Independents and anybody near the fence on him on election day has seen the ugly reality. He has not the intellect or the skills for the job. He may as well be MIA for all he's bringing to the office.

His support is eroding, though I'll admit it's hard to convince people who don't believe in facts. When you get down to the 35% number, a.k.a. the 'Honey Boo Boo' folks, you can be sure the powers that run this country have left you. Trump is virtually alone at this point, with a military man installed to run him and his office.
    You say that, and rail on about facts, but your entire argument is predicated on a relative falsehood:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...-gallup-2017-7

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I don't know -- I have mixed emotions.

to your question of course it isn't democratically sound
    But a lot of things that happen in weird times are not

Japanese internment
    Alexexander Haig
    Lincoln pulling back Habeus Corpus (I think that is what it was)

To name 3.

Did you read Greenwalds piece ?
    Can you give me some more info (links) about the Haig/Nixon angle? I tried to look it up yesterday afternoon but I guess I wasn't using the right keywords (then went down the Haig "I'm in charge here" rabbithole).

The difference between the other two instances you mentioned and this concept of a 'deep state' occupation/co-government is that the power of the elected leader was not in question with internment/Lincoln suspending habeas. I think that power (of the people) is one of the most, if not the most, sacrosanct ideals we embrace as Americans. So the notion that the military is interfering, in any way - for any reason, deeply concerns me and makes me feel very unsafe.

I did skim Greenwald's piece. Just a lot of semi-informed, reasonable speculation, which is nothing new for The Intercept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    How many times can the left predict the pulse of the country incorrectly until they stop doing it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Can you give me some more info (links) about the Haig/Nixon angle? I tried to look it up yesterday afternoon but I guess I wasn't using the right keywords (then went down the Haig "I'm in charge here" rabbithole).

The difference between the other two instances you mentioned and this concept of a 'deep state' occupation/co-government is that the power of the elected leader was not in question with internment/Lincoln suspending habeas. I think that power (of the people) is one of the most, if not the most, sacrosanct ideals we embrace as Americans. So the notion that the military is interfering, in any way - for any reason, deeply concerns me and makes me feel very unsafe.

I did skim Greenwald's piece. Just a lot of semi-informed, reasonable speculation, which is nothing new for The Intercept.
    It was a book I gave away and was never returned.written by an old CIA or Secret Service. As reliable as that could be. Hadn't given it a thought until a few months ago when Trumps antics got me wondering.
    There are definitely Deep State Safeguards, has to be.
    Those other examples weren't to compare this situation to those. Just to point out weird situations, Civil Wars,WW's or rogue executives that call for extreme solutions

If you remember I thought then and still do Chris Christie was set up. Kinda like we're watching today with Trump in real time.

Those leaks aren't from the White House and Jeff Sessions won't uncover the leaker-- my guess is intelligence agencies (pl) that launder information. Rabbit hole you called it
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-06-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Those leaks aren't from the White House and Jeff Sessions won't uncover the leaker-- my guess is intelligence agencies (pl) that launder information. Rabbit hole you called it
    On the subject of conspiracy theories, I wonder if the ongoing White House 'renovations' have anything to do with the most recent leaks. Hell, they even took the Resolute desk out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    or the Russians un supervised in the Oval Office ?

These are strange times.

Do you think the Constitution works?
    I do

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    daily kos sucks too btw
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Do you think the Constitution works?
    I do
    i think a lot of it is outdated and i agree more with Jeffersons idea of rewriting it often
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    daily kos sucks too btw
    Theu do some stuff.
    They collect some interesting things from time to time.