Page 82 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384921321825821082 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    Executive orders are consided law. She doesn't have any qualms about enforcing prohibition so I have serious doubts she cares about the constitutionality of the law she is supposed to enforce.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts

It’s over."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Executive orders are consided law. She doesn't have any qualms about enforcing prohibition so I have serious doubts she cares about the constitutionality of the law she is supposed to enforce.
    she swore to uphold the constitution

not follow orders like a subject

seriously cajun, we get it and most agree it needs to change but your constant way of pivoting to drugs is just getting tiresome and it is starting to look like you are trying not to address the topic instead of just coming out against something

but here are remarks she made in 2015 at Columbia law school on the topic since you just want to make her position to fit your agenda:

called the sentencing reform and corrections act – to address proportionality in sentencing, particularly for lower level, non-violent drug offenders. In short, we need to make sure that the punishment fits the crime. Last week, I had the privilege of testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee about the many promising pieces of that legislation.

And I know how badly we need reform. As the Deputy Attorney General, I oversee day-to-day operations for the Justice Department, which includes not just our nation’s federal prosecutors, but also the FBI, DEA, ATF, U.S. Marshals Service and the federal prison system. I see all sides of our criminal justice system and I can tell you confidently: the status quo needs to change.

We need a new approach and we need a better approach. We need to be willing to step back, look at how we’ve managed criminal justice in the past and be willing to adjust our way of thinking.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    I am sorry if I go overboard with it. I have come to realize that this is where my passion is and I have decided to do something about it. I am going back to school and getting a law degree. I am going to form my own non profit organization dedicated to getting criminals with badges off the streets and into cages where they belong. I spend a lot of time researching and if I go into a random rant its probably me venting from what I am reading/seeing.

Its probably going to take 10 years for me to get a law degree but I think that will give some time for older judges whon grew up on reefer madness propoganda will die off or retire in those 10 years and I get the sense that public opinion is moving in the right direction. 10 more years and I think the water will be just right to dive in. I want to try something similar to the Tobacco lawsuits. People who purposely lie and deceive people about the effects of weed should be held financially responsible for the damage they caused. Their lies probably cost the government a trillion dollars to lock up non violent drug users. Not to mention the millions who were sexually assaulted and stripped of their basic freedoms. Over 100k mexicans have died due to the black market caussd by prohibition. I dont see it as any different than lying about the health effects of Tobacco.

As for Sally Yates, I am not impressed. She is only slightly less of a prohibitionist. Looking at her speeches and testimony linked on the DoJ site(most of which linked to.a blank page) she still wants to send drug users to prison, just for a shorter time. I got a newsflash fo her, cops "engaging" underserved communities is the problem not the solution.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    A little good news:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-31-2017)

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Honestly, I am still having trouble conceiving that we elected Donald Trump. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to get my bearings when reading the news.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-31-2017), chop2chip (01-31-2017), goldfly (01-31-2017), jpx7 (01-31-2017)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    she swore to uphold the constitution

So did Obama and every other president, correct?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Executive orders aren't law when they're not powers afforded to the executive branch.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    What happens if Donald Trump refuses a federal court order.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...urt_order.html
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Executive orders aren't law when they're not powers afforded to the executive branch.
    The executive branch has the authority to decline non citizens from entering the country.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I don't actually have a problem with Trump firing Yates, but can the Trump Administration do just one thing without somehow giving off a 1984 vibe? She betrayed our country? Get the **** out, just give a short blurb about going in a different direction and move on.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (01-31-2017), jpx7 (01-31-2017), Julio3000 (01-31-2017), Runnin (01-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I don't actually have a problem with Trump firing Yates, but can the Trump Administration do just one thing without somehow giving off a 1984 vibe? She betrayed our country? Get the **** out, just give a short blurb about going in a different direction and move on.
    I agree with this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I recall now how about an hour after Trump issued the executive order on the ban, he declared that everything was going great. Nice try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Honestly, I am still having trouble conceiving that we elected Donald Trump. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to get my bearings when reading the news.
    Maybe it will be only a short anomaly.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The executive branch has the authority to decline non citizens from entering the country.
    Nope. They're determined by congress. It's responsible for enforcing laws, but if congress doesn't pass a law for a muslim ban, there's no lawful power to an executive order.

For example. When Obama said that he wanted federal agents to deport less people, that's using the powers of the executive branch. Key wording in executive is execute, it's their job to enforce the laws, not make them or legislate them if you would
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I feel silly arguing with people needing this explanation
    Go read a book or two and see where else you are mis informed.

Even worse?
    this is how we wound up with a President under the assumption he makes laws
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-31-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    there's no lawful power to an executive order.
    This is patently false.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    A little good news:

Abraham Lincoln: 0

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    "
    United States presidents issue executive orders to help officers and agencies of the executive branch manage the operations within the federal government itself. Executive orders have the full force of law when they take authority from a legislative power which grants its power directly to the Executive by the Constitution, or are made pursuant to Acts of Congress that explicitly delegate to the President some degree of discretionary power (delegated legislation).[1]

Like both legislative statutes and regulations promulgated by government agencies, executive orders are subject to judicial review and may be struck down if deemed by the courts to be unsupported by statute or the Constitution. Major policy initiatives require approval by the legislative branch, but executive orders have significant influence over the internal affairs of government, deciding how and to what degree legislation will be enforced, dealing with emergencies, waging wars, and in general fine-tuning policy choices in the implementation of broad statutes. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-31-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    "
    United States presidents issue executive orders to help officers and agencies of the executive branch manage the operations within the federal government itself. Executive orders have the full force of law when they take authority from a legislative power which grants its power directly to the Executive by the Constitution, or are made pursuant to Acts of Congress that explicitly delegate to the President some degree of discretionary power (delegated legislation).[1]

Like both legislative statutes and regulations promulgated by government agencies, executive orders are subject to judicial review and may be struck down if deemed by the courts to be unsupported by statute or the Constitution. Major policy initiatives require approval by the legislative branch, but executive orders have significant influence over the internal affairs of government, deciding how and to what degree legislation will be enforced, dealing with emergencies, waging wars, and in general fine-tuning policy choices in the implementation of broad statutes. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order
    I recognize that's one particular interpretation from one particular contributor to Wikipedia, but Article II can be read a number of different ways depending on context and precedent. History has demonstrated this.

For example, one might argue that this is an emergency power of the President.